• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kieron Pollard given WICB central contract for 2010/11

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Kieron Pollard has been awarded with a central contract at last. IMHO it is a great move by the selectors and I hope this means he will end up getting more 4 day experience. A talent like his is simply too good to waste.

Sarwan, Deonarine, Taylor and Edwards have not been given central contracts because of their injury records. Sarwan and Deonarine were also deemed to have a less than satisfactory level of general fitness.

Denesh Ramdin has not been given a contract which tends to suggest the selectors will have a long overdue look at another wicket keeper over the next year. Travis Dowlin was also dropped from the contract list.

Rather bizarrely, Devon Smith has found himself with a central contract.

Centrally contracted players

Chris Gayle
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Sulieman Benn
Dwayne Bravo
Darren Sammy
Kemar Roach
Brendan Nash
Adrian Barath
Darren Bravo
Shane Shillingford
Kieron Pollard
Nikita Miller
Devon Smith
Ravi Rampaul
Nelon Pascal.

Development Contracts

Kirk Edwards
Andre Russell
David Bernard Jr
Gavin Tonge
Andre Fletcher
Chadwick Walton
Devendra Bishoo
Assad Fudadin
Imran Khan
Kevin Stoute.

I'd like to congratulate the selectors on doing a fairly good job, particularly with the development contracts which are all sound.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Beamer, do you know the amount of money the central contracted players, development players and the highest amount the players not selected will get from their islands?

Deonarine looked fit enough to me when I saw him play last and I didn't think he was as injury prone as the other 3 names mentioned with him in the article, seems a bit harsh that he doesn't have a contract.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Doesn't look bad, but dropping players for fitness reasons doesn't seem....right.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
NUFAN, I'll have to get back to you on the amount they actually earn, or maybe another West Indian poster already knows? I know it used to be split into Categories A,B, C and D with Gayle Sarwan, Chanderpaul and Bravo being the category A players.

I agree with you all about Deonirane looking in good enough shape. He is very slow between the wickets and perhaps they have interpreted that as a lack of fitness. Either that or he is being punished for that awful shot he played against Steyn at a crucial stage in the final test against SA.

Sarwan has always been slow to reach peak fitness after an injury and perhaps they have grown tired of this and wish to give him a kick up the backside.

Marcuss, Bess is part of the academy squad that is due to tour Canada soon. I think they want to have a look at him in that environment and also at FC level before giving him a contract.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Noticed Devon Smith getting games for some of the pseudo WI teams. Sad times he's still in the picture. :( Why is Bernard on a development contract considering his age?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
NUFAN, I'll have to get back to you on the amount they actually earn, or maybe another West Indian poster already knows? I know it used to be split into Categories A,B, C and D with Gayle Sarwan, Chanderpaul and Bravo being the category A players.

I agree with you all about Deonirane looking in good enough shape. He is very slow between the wickets and perhaps they have interpreted that as a lack of fitness. Either that or he is being punished for that awful shot he played against Steyn at a crucial stage in the final test against SA.

Sarwan has always been slow to reach peak fitness after an injury and perhaps they have grown tired of this and wish to give him a kick up the backside.
Thanks. I'm just interested in the difference between the lowest contracted player and say the highest earning domestic player like Sarwan, because he has been a good servant of Windies Cricket and deserves to earn a bit of cash IMO, unless of course he isn't likely to feature much in the next year.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Very surprising to see Taylor & Sarwan not get central contracts, regardless of their injury records. They are two of the windies main players - surely they could have cut them some slack. Poor decision.

While its totally dumb to given a proven test failure like Devon Smith one. MY Word.

Tonge should be on CC if Rampaul is one. Far better bowler.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Pretty ridiculous decision to leave Sarwan out imo, irrespective of fitness.

He might not have delivered as often as some feel he could've, but they guy's only 30 and he's played 80+ tests for a 40+ average. Besides India I don't see how any team in world cricket at the moment can afford to cast aside a player with those sorts of numbers and experience. Hopefully they're just trying to give him a kick up the backside and it's not an indicator of their intentions when it comes to selecting the side...

Himannv

International Coach
I initially read this as Kevin Pietersen given WICB central contract for 2010/11.

Walks away disappointed.

shivfan

Banned
As Beamer knows, I'm not a great fan of Pollard playing a plethora of 20/20 cricket, and I really didn't think he would've gotten a central contract on that basis only, but it just goes to show that I'm wrong yet again....
:)
Let's see if he now chooses to play for the West Indies when it clashes with a 20/20 competition in the future.

Ramdin has been in poor form, so no surprise he's been omitted. Sarwan and Deonarine apparently have fitness issues, and Taylor and Edwards have been ravaged by injuries. I think we're in a sad way if we have to give central contracts to the likes of Rampaul, Pascal and Smith. But it's good to see Shillingford, Barath and Miller being offered central contracts.

Like roseboy, I don't see the point of Bernard being given a developmental contract at his age. And maybe it would've made more sense to give developmental contracts to the likes of Holder and Brathwaite, rather than Bernard and Fudadin....

Woodster

International Captain
Very poor that those three players, Sarwan, Taylor, and Deonarine have consistenly failed to meet their necessary fitness targets. How much do these guys want to play international cricket for WI ? Sarwan and Taylor can both be hugely important figures for WI in the coming years, but have to put in the hard yards to ensure their bodies are primed for the rigours of Test cricket.

They are all letting themselves, WI, and the fans down by their lacklustre approach to fitness which is culminating in several niggly injuries and more time spent watching rather than playing,

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Doesn't look bad, but dropping players for fitness reasons doesn't seem....right.
Sarwan and Taylor can't get onto the park for the Windies so for that reason only they don't deserve a contract. Why pay someone if they can't play?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sarwan and Taylor can't get onto the park for the Windies so for that reason only they don't deserve a contract. Why pay someone if they can't play?
Well, I think they can still play a future role for WI, just whether it's full time is still up in the air. Edwards, while his injury was serious, I don't think it's serious enough to deny him a contract.

R_D

International Debutant
Sad to hear about Sarwan and Taylor..... Not being fit enough is just stupid..
Sarwan always looked but hasn't been able to fulfill his talent and Taylor looked like a good bowler as well.
Seeing this state of WI's cricket is rather saddening.