• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What do you think of Virat Kohli?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Apparently the quickest Indian player to 1000 runs in ODIs. Looks a good player on the offside. Thoughts?

masterblaster

International Captain
Very much so. He's a really talented player who should have a big part to play in Indian Cricket. Too bad he seems like a complete douchebag though.

Once Sachin, Dravid and Laxman are retired the days of 'gentlemen' in the Indian team will officially be over. The dignity, class and respect that Sachin, Dravid, Laxman and Kumble show just can't be matched by this younger batch of players.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Doesn't look bad but one has to keep in mind the opposition he has faced.

7 of his 8 fifties, both his hundreds and 939 of his 1127 runs have come against Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and West Indies at 52.2 per innings in 22 games.

In 9 games against South Africa (3), Australia (3), Pakistan (2) and Kiwis (1) he has scored 170 runs at under 25 with a solitary fifty (against South Africa in Ahmedabad on a track where SAF scored 365 for 2 batting first ! India struggled to get anywhere close to the target losing by 90 runs in the 45th over. The 57 in 71 balls at number 3 has to be seen in the context of the wicket and the target of over 7 runs per over.

I am not saying he is to blame for that loss :-)

I think he looks good but he has yet to be truly tested (and come out on top) by top class bowling under pressure. We will have to wait and watch.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Not really sure how good he is but he just reminds me so much of a young Ponting.. Maybe it is the frontfoot thrust, maybe the slight swagger at the crease, maybe it is getting squared up often early in the piece.. Maybe it is just that he ALWAYS seems to bat #3... Don't think he is all that good a batsman yet and don't think he is a very nice guy either but definitely someone who s gonna be around for long in Indian cricket. In fact, he would have to have done seriously poor if he doesn't end up captain of India one day.. Juz a gut feeling with nothign to back up. :)

Shri

Mr. Glass
I believe Saurabh Tiwary and Manish Pandey are better than him tbh. They look much more attacking have shown glimpses of what they could do in T20 games. Would like to see them given an extended run in ODIs.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
No doubt he is a major player in India's future post Dravid, Sachin and Laxman. Fantastic fielder too, not to be underrated when coming from an Indian cricketer.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Saw him first when he was captaining the U19's. Was pretty decent then and still is, but needs to play more to really tell if he is really good value.

blahblahblah

International 12th Man
he i guess has been the highest run getter for india over the past year

still wonder why he is always kept out the team and rohit sharma being igiven chances even after his consecutive failures

blahblahblah

International 12th Man
Saw him first when he was captaining the U19's. Was pretty decent then and still is, but needs to play more to really tell if he is really good value.
man , if u look at the statistics he has been the most promising youngster india has produced after raina

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
I am big fan of Raina But he is throwing his wicket at crucial times....

Kohli on other hand is doing the same.....
Their were many hope's on Rohit sharma...But he was just flattered..

Last edited:

kingkallis

International Coach
Kohli is a very gutsy player - doing much better than the likes of Rohit, Karthik.

Also as masterblaster said earlier, he has an issue with his attitude. Need to sort it though.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Raina looks like the best prospect among the younger bunch...Nobody has shown the likelihood of a future Dravid or Sehwag anytime soon, let alone future Sachin...But Raina looks like he can give us the next Ganguly (the batsman, not the captain) if he keeps his feet on ground...

Kohli and Rohit, while both are talented, look like they have temperamental issues like Yuvraj, besides some technical issues.

If Kohli does his best, he can give us a very poor man's Dravid at best (not sure about tests, but in ODIs that might be the case).

Himannv

International Coach
IMO the guy has an awful attitude, personality wise.

As a player, he's not exactly going to set the world alight either imo. Seems to be better against pace than spin so a decent option at one down. Having said that, he's certainly no Dravid or Tendulkar or anything like that. Average at best imo. Good fielder I reckon and thats something the Indian team need.

Was somewhat promising sometime back but I doubt he will deliver consistently for India. Time on the sidelines and a few more games in the domestic circuit is probably best.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Another talented young Indian batsman who looks vulnerable againts quality pace-bowling.