• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What do you think of Virat Kohli?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gambhir's ODI career fell away quite spectacularly. His Test career was more of a gradual decline after the promising tour of SA and some very good series prior to that, but in ODIs he just went to complete **** a while after the WC win.

He was very important to India's success during the period though.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I really wonder what is classified as a "chase" here? If he is ruling out successful vs unsuccessful chases on the basis that it is the team mates who make it so, then isn't all of the other relative comparisons deserving of the same caveat?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Win is a post facto thing. Win or loss doesn't apply when the game is being played. So average in wins or any stat in wins is useless. Moreover you win more games against weaker teams and in favourable conditions. So if anything, average in losses is more telling.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah but you did not address my other question. The author says he has left out wins vs losses coz that is decided based on how good the rest of the team are and then proceeded to do a relative impact of Kohli and Sachin against the scores made by their respective team mates, which is basically the same thing. :laugh:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but you did not address my other question. The author says he has left out wins vs losses coz that is decided based on how good the rest of the team are and then proceeded to do a relative impact of Kohli and Sachin against the scores made by their respective team mates, which is basically the same thing. :laugh:
He has not gone from the perspective of match results however. He is looking at contributions relative to the totals they had to chase.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Which is fine, but if the conclusion already was that Kohli's team mates were better than Sachin's team mates, what exactly is the relative comparison gonna tell us?

Daemon

I understand where the writer is coming from, it's clear that Kohli has had better support at the other end from this analysis (or simply common sense/observation).

But at the end of the day, lets ignore wins and losses and just look at a simple fact - Kohli has scored runs at a much, much better average and a higher strike rate than Tendulkar while chasing. He even has more hundreds.

You can't say that Tendulkar was as good as Kohli while chasing imo, just isn't true.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its my gripe here. He says Virat had better support than Sachin and then uses stats which show Sachin performed better than his "apparently" not good enough team mates by just about the same level as Virat has outperformed his "supposedly" better team mates. The lack of logic on that one is bad even by crapinfo standards. I mean, its worse than most fan boy theories you read on the youtube comments.

Daemon

Yeah. I'd be fine if based on this

It is the players at the other end who account for the difference between the results achieved in Tendulkar's era and those achieved in Kohli's. Here are the figures to prove it.
He was basically saying it's not right to trot out the win/loss stats that are usually used to argue the asterisks on Sachin's chasing record, because his teammates were scoring far below the asking rate and total while Kohli's teammates have been only slightly below. This is a good analysis to show that win/loss records are quite meaningless when judging an individual player.

But then somehow he's managed to conclude that Tendulkar was actually a better chaser than Kohli. Very strange.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also, to be a great chaser, by definition you have to score at a higher rate if you know your teammates suck, so if Sachin was only outperforming his teammates at the same rate as Kohli is, then there is a problem.

At best what you that article should have concluded is that Sachin isn't worse than Kohli when it comes to scoring runs in the second innings. But the term chasing comes with other parameters.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Plus the balls faced per dismissal is much higher for Kohli during chases than Sachin which says a lot right there to be fair.

srbhkshk

International Captain
There's no real doubt that Virat is the best chaser, probably of all time, but Sachin gets a lot of flak at times which is not necessarily warranted.

smash84

The Tiger King
There's no real doubt that Virat is the best chaser, probably of all time, but Sachin gets a lot of flak at times which is not necessarily warranted.
Over their careers possibly dhoni a better chaser. Also Dhoni better in world cups too

SillyCowCorner1

Oh this thread.

To answer the question posed by the title of this thread...

I think he is a very handsome man with his beard, and an ogre without. I am not shaming him.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Over their careers possibly dhoni a better chaser. Also Dhoni better in world cups too
Dhoni is up there too, but I think Virat has passed him because he does it from #3. As for world cups, it's only really one great innings separating the two (a very important one though.)

OverratedSanity