• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What do you think of Virat Kohli?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Smith being successful was incredibly predictable. Perhaps not to the heights he has reached, but it was never in doubt that he'd become a Test-class batsman once the selectors stopped trying to convince him to be a bowling all-rounder.

No idea why Having A Funny Technique immediately means that his success could not possibly be predicted.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If anyone predicted him being one of the top 3 in the world back then then then kudos to them, I definitely did not see that coming at all when I saw him in ODIs and against Pakistan in England.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
The guy has bucketloads of natural talent and an utterly ridiculous work ethic, was always determined to improve and confident in his ability to do so (with his awkwardness perhaps preventing him from wholly overbalancing into arrogance/frustration at people not being as talented as him).

Every characteristic was there from the start; IMO people put too much emphasis on young players having a pretty technique when it comes to predicting success.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If anyone predicted him being one of the top 3 in the world back then then then kudos to them, I definitely did not see that coming at all when I saw him in ODIs and against Pakistan in England.
I didn't go that far but I definitely had him pencilled in as a mainstay of Australia's middle order once he had a bit more first class experience.

smash84

The Tiger King
I thought he was a leg break bowler who would soon be pummeled into oblivion.

I was right about him as a leg break bowler.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Found Smith's batting erratic in the beginning. Played far too many shots for my liking and given what I made of his batting ability technically. Question: given that he started off as a leg spinner who could bat to an extent, when did he improve as a batsman?

I love Smith now. I rate him very highly, as should every one else who doesn't.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
well always batted in the top 5 for NSW right? I remember hearing he hit a 190 odd in shield cricket while he was still performing medicore at test level(had yet to get a ton) and thats when I thought hey hey might come good in tests too

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One thing I like when watching the likes of Kohli and Smith is their audacity when they bat. Same with guys like Pietersen. You always think you're a chance with them because they don't always take the measured approach. It makes them every bit as compelling as someone who plays a more orthodox type of game. Same with Lara compared with Waugh and Tendulkar. You might not always get the output but it's always interesting to watch.

Last edited:

mr_mister

i mean at least it looks like he's kind of taking the piss there... can imagine him laughing after the cameras were turned off about how ridiculous that photo is

the 'you talk too much' taunt he's doing in that other picture only works if you're like a silent badass who lets his actions do the talking... where as virat is the biggest loudmouth around(but backs it up as least)

tldr: he's less punchable in the second pic

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
One thing I like when watching the likes of Kohli and Smith is their audacity when they bat. Same with guys like Pietersen. You always think you're a chance with them because they don't always take the measured approach. It makes them every bit as compelling as someone who plays a more orthodox type of game. Same with Lara compared with Waygh and Tendulkar. You might not always get the output but it's always interesting to watch.
If this is a subtle way of reminding me I still owe you a steak, you can gagf. Even if I get you a steak, it won't be wagyu.

mr_mister

i imagine lehmann promotes a similar diet. that stupid homework coach(forget his name) probably made everyone eat some bull**** vegan diet

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Found Smith's batting erratic in the beginning. Played far too many shots for my liking and given what I made of his batting ability technically. Question: given that he started off as a leg spinner who could bat to an extent, when did he improve as a batsman?

I love Smith now. I rate him very highly, as should every one else who doesn't.
See, this is the problem. The bolded was never actually true (perhaps aside from his 19-year-old forays in the NSW T20 team, where he confused everyone with the ball but didn't get much of a hit with the bat). At absolute best, in terms of that statement, he was an equally-balanced all-rounder. More realistically, he was a slightly less egregrious version of Cameron White in the Test team. He was never actually bowling-centric, despite Australia picking him in that role and him showing plenty of promise with the ball.

If memory serves, he only picked up leggies in his mid teens ffs

mr_mister

if youre blonde and bowl leggies now the country thinks you're destined to be a bowling god

see white, smith, warner