• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What do you think of Virat Kohli?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Fairly convinced that he will be the best of our next generation of batsmen.
Definitely not if you consider Gambhir to be part of the same generation.

And, probably not if you consider Raina to be part of the same generation.

irfan

State Captain
Well I obviously disagree.

Really rate his technique and eye.
Agree in part with Jono, Kohli is an attractive cricketer to watch with an aesthetically pleasing array of offside shots. I don't agree that his attitude is awful, but does he seem to give off a nonchalant vibe at times, which doesn't seem to bode well when the going gets tough. He has all the talent for Test cricket, I'm just not sure about his mental state and temperament.

With Dravid you can see the steely resolve in his eyes, with Sachin you can see the determination, with Laxman the immense powers of concentration but with Kohli...

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haven't seen enough of him against the top teams (bar SL) to judge his temperament TBH...

_Ed_

Haven't seen enough of him against the top teams (bar SL) to judge his temperament TBH...
Hey, NZ were ranked 2nd in ODIs briefly in that last tournament! :p

Sure, we dropped to about 6th after one loss, but still!

vcs

Hey, NZ were ranked 2nd in ODIs briefly in that last tournament! :p

Sure, we dropped to about 6th after one loss, but still!
Haha, yeah. NZ dominated most of our batsmen bar one innings from Sehwag though, TBF.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Fairly convinced that he will be the best of our next generation of batsmen.
Disagree.

He is better than probably Rohit and Certainly Vijay but ,does not have the game changing ability of a rohit.

Besides i rate Pujara,Raina And even Pandey somewhat ahead of him.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm a huge Rohit fan, but Sehwag has more game changing ability than Tendulkar. Doesn't necessarily make him the better batsman.

Lol @ Pandey though. The guy couldn't handle the ball moving one bit in the latter stages of the IPL. To say he's better than a guy with a ODI hundred when his team was in trouble is a bit much.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Pandey could be better with FC experience. He has played like what? 1 season of FC cricket. Could be better after a few years. And I don't think we have the liberty to choose players who are good against swing with Sachin, Dravid et al set to retire any time. Should cover the base first i.e is a player good enough to play tests on sub-continental pitches? We should then move from there.

Daemon

He looks arrogant. A lot of the newer Indian players look arrogant actually.

Especially Praveen Kumar, with his stares at fielders and batsmen, constantly trying to look pissed off and acting threatening while bowling at deadly speeds of mid 120kph and having a 5"5 frame with a pot belly

One player who I personally believes gives it his all during a game and has a positive vibe around him is Dinesh Kartik.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Pandey could be better with FC experience. He has played like what? 1 season of FC cricket. Could be better after a few years. And I don't think we have the liberty to choose players who are good against swing with Sachin, Dravid et al set to retire any time. Should cover the base first i.e is a player good enough to play tests on sub-continental pitches? We should then move from there.
Agreed.

Did anyone else see the Ranji Trophy Final hundred Pandey made ?

He almost single handedly won the Ranji trophy for Karnataka on not so easy batting conditions.

He has that x factor in his batting which could see him improve in leaps and bounds over the next few years.
As for ODI hundreds,you can't score them if you are not playing ODI's .

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sanjay and excellent in the same sentence is controversial. Not sure whether to read this article now.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Too early to make that call tbh. Rohit has been disappointing, and Kohli and Vijay still needs to prove themselves, but generally people are overreacting.

Gambhir and Raina have done all that can be asked of them so far in their international careers. Not many countries can boast two batsman with their records at such a young age.

Top_Cat

Well, obviously was being a bit facetious but one does get a bit worried about the next gen and how they'll fare away from home. With the way blokes like Kohli move to the legside, can see the slips being very busy when they come to OZ. Both or either of OZ's lefties will give them a lot to do to stay out there. That style opens up scoring opportunities but leaves you really vulnerable to seamers back of a length which is basically the length Australia has owned for years.

EDIT: Will add that I hope guys like he and Gambhir get going when they lob here because they're great to watch.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well, obviously was being a bit facetious but one does get a bit worried about the next gen and how they'll fare away from home. With the way blokes like Kohli move to the legside, can see the slips being very busy when they come to OZ. Both or either of OZ's lefties will give them a lot to do to stay out there. That style opens up scoring opportunities but leaves you really vulnerable to seamers back of a length which is basically the length Australia has owned for years.

EDIT: Will add that I hope guys like he and Gambhir get going when they lob here because they're great to watch.
u know, so does Ponting. Still can't believe others don't see the resemblance that seems so obvious to me.. :)

Top_Cat

u know, so does Ponting. Still can't believe others don't see the resemblance that seems so obvious to me.. :)
Yeah there's been a tendency for him to do that recently but when he was batting really well, was a demon at covering off-stump I thought. So much so, bowlers would go headlong for his stumps only to be worked to leg for easy runs.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah there's been a tendency for him to do that recently but when he was batting really well, was a demon at covering off-stump I thought. So much so, bowlers would go headlong for his stumps only to be worked to leg for easy runs.
nah, I meant very early in his career.. Notice a lot of similarities in the 2 for some reason or the other. And think he will improve, tbh. Will be very very disappointing if he didn't.