Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to now for Pakistan?

Where to now for Pakistan?

I know your probably all sick of Pakistan threads but this is not directly linked to the fixing.

After everything that has gone on with Pakistan cricket are they really going to be a financially viable team to play against?

Say the players in the team atm get bans, surely they will be worse than BD, so the spectacle is taken out of the game, they cant play home games, thats a lot of potential revenue and fan base gone, nobody is going to want to host their 'home' games now, is any country really going to want to be seen as supporting Pakistan cricket and the PCB, surely there's too much dirt on their hands to be trusted.

I may sound rather dooms dayish here but is this the end of Pakistan being one of the 'big' teams in international cricket? will they plunge to the depths as the WI have? or perhaps even worse?

And will players want to be associated with Pakistan anymore? Perhaps they may go and play for India or Bangladesh, or play for IPL teams etc.

These suggestions may be a bit outlandish but I guess they are distant possiblilities

I guess that Yousuf will retire again. I don't see how Pakistan can continue to playing Test cricket, tbh. It's just an untenable situation, atm.
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

International Vice-Captain
    ICC should slap a 12 month ban on them so thwey can get sorted,the pcb inquiry was a joke.

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Ban Pakistan from all International Cricket for at least 12 months, until they can get their house in order. Pakistan have been given far too many chances over the years. From consistently being one of the most corrupt cricketing nations in the world, to having shoddy administration practices and politics in every aspect of their game.

In addition they've had such poor security in their home games that resulted in the attack on the Sri Lankan team and have had a constant revolving door of players, captains and coaches over the past few years. I think it's time to give them a break from International Cricket as sadly they do not currently deserve a place in International Cricket.
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

You can't play cricket in the country because of security risks.

There is a recent history of dodgy results, spot fixing if not completely throwing matches.

They've had issues retaining their players, who are banned and the unbanned, with a revolving captaincy door.

Some of their players have been caught with performance enhancing drugs.

I can't see how they can continue in the short term tbh.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamee999 View Post
    I guess that Yousuf will retire again. I don't see how Pakistan can continue to playing Test cricket, tbh. It's just an untenable situation, atm.
    Bet you Yousuf will come out of retirement again too..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Where to? Not to any cricket grounds hopefully.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

No mercy. These guys are disgraceful. No place for them in cricket. Terrible for the fans of the Pakistan team but this is no time to **** around.

edit: Seriously, fixing meaningless one dayers is bad enough but Test matches being altered like this is complete ****ing ****ery of the highest order. Wtf? What the ****?
    Last edited by duffer; 29-08-2010 at 09:18 AM.

I hope they play South Africa next month (or is it in October). Some free wickets for Steyn and Morkel against that complete shower of a batting line-up.
    Last edited by TT Boy; 29-08-2010 at 09:26 AM.

They should just fly back to Pakistan. Watching them today was a sick experience. Couldn't sit there and do it. Joke of a cricket team from top down.

Harsh on Saeed Ajmal tbh. Funny guy.

U19 Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Where to? Not to any cricket grounds hopefully.
    Said perfectly.

ICC should definitely ban them from 1 year minimum. However I get the feeling that ICC consequences aside, this will be one controversy too many. Pakistan have had the 'Sydney incident' (and the whole Australian tour for that matter), Afridi's ball-biting, banning everybody then reinstating them and now this, and that has just been in the past year! I can't see the cricketing community being accepting/forgiving anymore.

Maybe I am going too far, but if I were England I would not have shaken the Pakistani's hands after the game. I'm not suggesting the whole team was involved, but you only have as much integrity as your shadiest member. For England to allow Pakistan to play home games at one of the world's most prestegious cricket grounds, and then for the Pakis to do this is unforgivable.

Give Ireland test status. Sure they'll probably lose by an innings and 250-odd runs too, but at least they'll show some respect to cricket...

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    They will still have enough talent to perform at test level, but I'm not sure they should be allowed to untill all this crap has been sorted out.

The wider implications here are huge, not just for Paksiatni cricket, but for the world game. All things considered, a permanent ban for the players involved would be adequate punishment. The idea of banning Pakistan from cricket, for however short a period, will have disastrous ramifications. We've already lost a very good Zimbabwe side; WI, too, are on a slippery slope to mediocrity. NZ are never going to be a powerhouse, which leaves us with just 4 quality international teams. Cricket needs Pakistan just as much as Pakistan needs cricket.

That said, I just do not see what the immediate short-term options for Pakistan are. As NZ Guy rightly pointed out, what future is there for a team who cannot play home matches, and will not be hosted other nations? Some time out of the game may do us some good, but with rampant corruption running deep in all levels of Pakistani society, it will take some time before we have a PCB which is competent and honest. It looks bleak, tbh.
    From the River to the sea, Palestine will be free!

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pakster View Post
    Cricket needs Pakistan just as much as Pakistan needs cricket.
    Frankly, no. No, it doesn't.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information