• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

turnstyle

State 12th Man
Just heard through a very reliable source that News of the word (a tabloid newspaper in the UK) are about to break a rather large story on fresh match fixing allegations against a certain underperforming sub continental team in the next hour.

I hope it's all fluff, but If this is true, it would REALLY explain a lot.

EDIT: ugh, turns out it's all true and it's regarding this current test. What a disgrace.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/new...se-betting-scandal-England-Pakistan-Test.html

Last edited:

Spudsy2061

U19 Cricketer
EDIT: ugh, turns out it's all true and it's regarding this current test. What a disgrace.

Cricket in the dock as we expose betting scandal | England Pakistan Test | News Of The World
If you believe in the crap that NOTW actually releases. Until someone else actually does the story and not NOTW making a phoney picture and then adding a phoney story to it, then I'll believe it, but as far as tabloids go, the crap that's posted in them is all s*** if you ask me. Yes because someone who took 6 wickets in a innings there is totally trying to fix it and not win it. Dear NOTW, Get over yourself.

Jacknife

International Captain
Well the **** is going to hit the fan if this all turns out to be true,it doesn't look good for Pakistani cricket ,especially the names that have been mentioned.We'll have to see what happens but I hope it's not true.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
NOTW puts out a lot of stuff. Some of it is true. A lot of it is BS. The possibility that this is true (which is not an insignificant possibility) is very bad for cricket.

stumpski

International Captain
Hopefully all smoke and no fire, but there has been an arrest ... lead story on the Beeb news this evening. 'A 35 year old man.'

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
NOTW rarely get it wrong with the filmed stings like this. But i would say the article is totally misleading as well as the headline. Fixing deliberate noballs is not fixing the result of the Test match which they are making out is what happened.

If it is true then its about time the ICC stopped bottling it and just banned all those involved for life. Wont happen though!

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
What's really not clear is how far this goes. No-balls is one thing (and bad enough in itself); "slowing the scoring" (as reported) is worse; chucking your wicket away worse still; outright match fixing is the worst of all.

Not sure quite where we are on this scale. But as SpaceMonkey points out, NOTW, scum though they are, usually get this sort of thing right

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Do enough people really bet on when a no ball will be delivered to chuck £140k at someone?
Yes, in India there are millions of dollars in bets placed on every single part of the match.

I hope this isn't true, but if it is, it underlies the need for a more equitable distribution of wealth, perhaps by that Test Championship that's often mentioned. You're never going to get rid of it when some teams make nothing while others make millions.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If it is true then its about time the ICC stopped bottling it and just banned all those involved for life. Wont happen though!
As far as I know, any proven allegation of match fixing has always resulted in a ban for life.....

NOTW rarely get it wrong with the filmed stings like this. But i would say the article is totally misleading as well as the headline. Fixing deliberate noballs is not fixing the result of the Test match which they are making out is what happened.
Yea, it's still just as bad though. It's the very fabric of sport.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmm - drip feeding the rest of the media eh?

Not that I'm suggesting the NOTW would do anything wrong but how many copies of tomorrows paper will they sell that wouldn't have been sold otherwise - 100,000? more?

Then there will be follow ups next week and for a few weeks thereafter and more sales and, presumably, advertising

Would be a real bargain to bung some random 35 year old Pakistani gentleman a few quid to make these allegations

.... but a journal with the integrity of NOTW would never do that, of course

Jacknife

International Captain
BBC News now reporting the same,this could turn out to be something very dark for cricket,the names being mentioned are very disappointing if true.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't see how you could make such allegations with absolutely nothing behind them and get away with it frankly.
Surely the NOTW must have genuine stuff to back up what they're reporting or it's slander of the highest order, surely?