• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

howardj

International Coach
I don't think that they guy you quoted is a Pakistani, but I am. I hate the trio for what they did and am glad that they have been punished by the ICC. However apart from being a Pakistani, I am a human being and consider it the height of injustice that they are to be prosecuted for criminal offences. Nobody deserves that for such a minor incident, which in no way was criminal.

By the way, I don't think there is any conspiracy.
Yep, didn't mean to quote.

Yeah, I'm not familiar with the criminal matter. I'm only really concerned about the cricket-related sanction.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Pakistan wouldn't extradite them anyway. Unless they(the government) are bigger pussies than I thought. They are most likely going to tell 'em to gagf.

smash84

The Tiger King

What baffles me is why anyone who cares about pakistani cricket would stand up on behalf of these guys. You think these guys gave a second thought to pakistani fans, the pcb, cricket lovers in general when they took the cash? These guys don't give a **** about you. They've dragged pakistan's reputation, and cricket in general, through the bush.

****s me why any cricket lover would stand up for them.
this

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
What baffles me is why anyone who cares about Pakistani cricket would stand up on behalf of these guys. You think these guys gave a second thought to Pakistani fans, the PCB, cricket lovers in general when they took the cash? These guys don't give a **** about you. They've dragged Pakistan's reputation, and cricket in general, through the bush.

****s me why any cricket lover would stand up for them.
+1 to this.

If something like this happened in Australia and, for example, Michael Clarke as captain ordered Pat Cummins to bowl no balls, I would be pretty upset and quite frankly insulted if at least Clarke didn't get a life ban.

TBH anything less than a life ban is suggesting such behaviour is forgivable, which in my opinion it is really not.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
+1 to this.

If something like this happened in Australia and, for example, Michael Clarke as captain ordered Pat Cummins to bowl no balls, I would be pretty upset and quite frankly insulted if at least Clarke didn't get a life ban.

TBH anything less than a life ban is suggesting such behaviour is forgivable, which in my opinion it is really not.
I have mixed feelings over this.

I would be very angry at the players, but I remember back to the scandals of the 90s and 00s that Warne was involved in and I remember hating him for them but really wanting him to continue to play. I guess if it was anyone other than Warne I would be shocked and angry and want to see them removed from the game permanently but Warne was so good and so unique that I guess I'd pretty much forgive him anything to watch him bowl.

JBH001

International Regular
I feel a little sorry for Amir. I hope his appeal is successful and his suspension is reduced to 2 - 3 years.

social

You seriously suggesting there's no difference between cheating to win and deliberately underperforming to order? Sorry, but it's a completely different ball park. Where does it end? Arresting Richie McCaw for killing the ball?

& it wasn't just that Butt had a large sum of cash on him that he couldn't account for (it looks dodgy, but hardly proof of anything itself), but rather that it was the same notes that the NOTW had paid to the middle man. Now whilst there's no direct proof (at least in the public domain) that any of it found its way to Amir or Asif, they undeniably did bowl the no-balls as requested. Whether it was for money or because they wanted to please their captain is immaterial; in the first instance they're bent and greedy in the second bent and stupid.

&, say what you want about the NOTW, but the CPS are unlikely to want to waste their time if there's no reasonable prospect of a conviction.
I've played in quite a few games where fast bowlers have "run through the crease" and, to the best of my knowledge, none of them were banned for years or faced the prospect of a jail term

Fact is that unless there is tangible proof that they were at least offered money for doing so, it is a ridiculously harsh judgement on both Aamir and Asif

As for the CPS, two words - Keiren Fallon :laugh:

Remarkable similarities and a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge waste of time and money

Debris

International 12th Man
I've played in quite a few games where fast bowlers have "run through the crease" and, to the best of my knowledge, none of them were banned for years or faced the prospect of a jail term

Fact is that unless there is tangible proof that they were at least offered money for doing so, it is a ridiculously harsh judgement on both Aamir and Asif

As for the CPS, two words - Keiren Fallon :laugh:

Remarkable similarities and a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge waste of time and money
If there was no evidence, they would have been found not guilty. Seeing as how they were found guilty, I think we can assume the evidence actually exists. The evidence, if you read through it, is actually extremely damning and is pretty much as strong as you could get without an actual confession. They actually admitted to taking money from the bookmaker but were trying to suggest it was somehow nothing to do with spot-fixing. The defence is pretty laughable in the face of the other evidence.

social

If there was no evidence, they would have been found not guilty. Seeing as how they were found guilty, I think we can assume the evidence actually exists. The evidence, if you read through it, is actually extremely damning and is pretty much as strong as you could get without an actual confession. They actually admitted to taking money from the bookmaker but were trying to suggest it was somehow nothing to do with spot-fixing. The defence is pretty laughable in the face of the other evidence.
In relation to Aamir or Asif, I've not seen any evidence to this effect

smash84

The Tiger King
I have mixed feelings over this.

I would be very angry at the players, but I remember back to the scandals of the 90s and 00s that Warne was involved in and I remember hating him for them but really wanting him to continue to play. I guess if it was anyone other than Warne I would be shocked and angry and want to see them removed from the game permanently but Warne was so good and so unique that I guess I'd pretty much forgive him anything to watch him bowl.
Well said. A lof of fans have this attitude regarding amir. They also had this attitude regarding Wasim Akram.

andyc

Absolute joke IMO. Had to be life bans for all. Amir will be coming back at an age when most other blokes still haven't debuted FFS. Really upset with this.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Absolute joke IMO. Had to be life bans for all. Amir will be coming back at an age when most other blokes still haven't debuted FFS. Really upset with this.
At least they didn't get a slap on the proverbial wrist. 5 years out of the game for a quick could well kill their career.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The suspended sentences for Butt and Asif seem rather pointless. What kind of offence would they have to commit for the suspended portions to be activated?

If it's similar offences they become meaningless because they'd surely cop longer bans in any event.

fredfertang

I'm assuming its a means of ensuring they satisfactorily complete that course they've been required to do