• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

Fusion

Global Moderator
It's a sad conclusion to the whole dark affair. I think the verdicts are just. Butt's and Asif's careers are over. Amir has a very slim chance of coming back, but even if he does, his best years will be behind him and he'll never reach the true heights he could've achieved. I understand people wanting a life ban, but I think from a practical point of view, this is indeed a very strict punishment for the crime that was committed. Like Xuhaib, I hope this is the last time I have to read about match fixing and Pakistan cricket together again.

Fusion

Global Moderator
No, it was far from obvious. I don't know how you can infer such malice on her behalf, she's basically appealing for help, that is all. seems like it's mostly in your own imagination.
I have seen Brumby post on these forums for years, and I can assure you he meant to infer no such malice. You're making a big deal out of nothing.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Aamir to auction the shirt he wore to the court hearing in order to pay his lawyer's fees, IMO. :ph34r:

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
So basically this suspended sentence thing means they COULD all be playing again in 5 years?

That is rubbish really. I can understand letting Amir off with a lighter punishment if it was proven that Butt asked him to bowl a no-ball but lead him to believe it was to somehow a strategy to rough up the batsman rather than for money. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Butt basically the leader in all of this, making negotiations with the bookmaker and ordering Amir/Asif to bowl the no-balls?

If that is the case, how he didn't get a life ban is beyond me...

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Making a comeback is highly improbable for all of them though. They'll have to find a job now, and to keep in touch with their skills they have to play against top quality opposition (which they wont have the luxury of doing) and neither will they have the motivation to go on training for 5 years. There might be a slight chance for Amir, but I really don't see it happening.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
Yes, butt was clearly the most guilty of all three, and as Captain that should have ensured he got a harsher sentence than the others.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Two wrongs do make a right, yes.

I can't believe this is even worthy of debate.

Her circumstances might explain her choice of words, but they don't mean she was right.
Didn't say she was right. I was just trying to explain why she or any other mother would not think rationally at this point and make stupid comments. I can understand her grief and have sympathy for her because she only wants the best for her son. However her son got what he deserved.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Making a comeback is highly improbable for all of them though. They'll have to find a job now, and to keep in touch with their skills they have to play against top quality opposition (which they wont have the luxury of doing) and neither will they have the motivation to go on training for 5 years. There might be a slight chance for Amir, but I really don't see it happening.
Amir will be around 23 and Asif will be around 33. If Akhtar can bowl the way he is bowling at 36, these two still have a chance. All they need to do is continue to practise their bowling.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Amir will be around 23 and Asif will be around 33. If Akhtar can bowl the way he is bowling at 36, these two still have a chance. All they need to do is continue to practise their bowling.
Practice where exactly? In their gardens? Unless the PCB is willing to pay them for the next 5 years for them to keep training with the squad and so on...it's not a realistic prospect at all.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Just a thought here...can the PCB enforce their own sanctions here?

So if after 5 years Amir decides he wants to play again, can the PCB tell him to GAGF?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Just a thought here...can the PCB enforce their own sanctions here?

So if after 5 years Amir decides he wants to play again, can the PCB tell him to GAGF?
Haha, don't see why not. They're all due back in England to appear before a court for the criminal charges associated with this whole thing shortly.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good riddance.

Honestly thought there would be a delay though in this announcement until after the court case. If ICC has banned them then it looks grim for them. They best get practising not bending over in a shower to pick up the soap.

nick-o

State 12th Man
Sorry to be cynical, but surely the 5-year penalty is meaningless.

How many times have we seen penalties reduced or retracted on appeal -- it's just words at the moment. Once the criminal case in UK is done (and I imagine any decent lawyer could find a technicality to put a stop to that), these guys will be back in no time.

Two years max, I reckon.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach

How many times have we seen penalties reduced or retracted on appeal -- it's just words at the moment. Once the criminal case in UK is done (and I imagine any decent lawyer could find a technicality to put a stop to that), these guys will be back in no time.

Two years max, I reckon.
Lets hope you are wrong, otherwise the ICC will have no credibility at all.

smash84

The Tiger King

Two years max, I reckon.
You do have a point. Unless the CPS has a watertight case against them these guys could be back earlier 5 years

nick-o

State 12th Man
Lets hope you are wrong, otherwise the ICC will have no credibility at all.
I'm sorry, but when was the last time the ICC had any credibility? Nothing new there.

I think there were two options -- life bans, or a slap on the wrist.

I wish I could pretend to be surprised the ICC have gone for the slap on the wrist.