• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Sounds pretty lenient to me tbh...

What's the deal with the 'suspended sentence'? I don't understand that, can somebody please explain what that means?

Edit: smalishah84 beat me to it...

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
They got what they deserved, and so I am happy with the punishment, but I hope Aamir and Asif don't go to jail or pay any fines (despite me hating Asif) because from the evidence so far it seems they weren't involved in the planning process (probably asked/threatened to bowl no-ball for financial gain). As for Butt, I am not too sure because money was found in Butt's room so he was definitely involved, however a maximum jail sentence sounds harsh because people have gotten less more serious offences.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I interpret that as 5 years each (assuming Butt and Asif are good boys but tricky to break the rules if you can't play) - gives Amir some grounds of appeal I suppose

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I interpret that as 5 years each (assuming Butt and Asif are good boys but tricky to break the rules if you can't play) - gives Amir some grounds of appeal I suppose
If that's what suspended sentence means then IMO a bit lenient (should have been 10, 7, 5 only and not suspended sentence). It seems the ICC tried to please everybody.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I have just checked and a suspended sentence means that all 3 get 5 years and the suspended part is atrial period when they return after 5 years, where their behaviour will be monitored.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
5 years each, which is what it is in reality. What an absolute complete and utter joke. They give them the minimum sentence and want to change it so they can give out even less of a punishment in future for 'exceptional circumstances'. Way to go.

And why exactly would the youngest and supposedly most naive of the lot not have to go through some anti-corruption bollocks when other teams will have to suffer he who should have been banned for life playing against them in his mid-20s?

**** off all three. Should not be allowed to play again. When the youngest of the three stooges comes back it will all be dragged up again. This is horrible for the game of cricket, which is all I care about.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
this basically means that the ICC considers all three equally guilty. How could they think that Aamir was just as much involved as Butt.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would have liked a life ban personally but I'm pretty happy with that, was worried they'd ***** out completely.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Shut up all of you. I will not tolerate 5 years no Amir. Grrr. AARGHHH. JOKE WHAT A JOKE!
5 Years no Amir is like 5 years no chocolate. I can't manage it.