• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

Teja.

Global Moderator
So his family should just disown him and let him rot, would you do that to the next of kin.
Nah, You're arguing one of the most flawed arguments ever.

Tomorrow, Asif will come to court and say "I'm gonna have to borrow money from my friend, Salim to pay for my lawyer. Since as a friend he is morally obligated to help me, this help causes financial distress to him despite him doing no wrong, You have to dismiss all charges on me"

That is what your case sounds like. Friends, Family where do you draw the line? There is not a court in the world that will even consider being lenient due to the 'I'm gonna make my family poorer if this case goes on' argument.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Nah, You're arguing one of the most flawed arguments ever.

Tomorrow, Asif will come to court and say "I'm gonna have to borrow money from my friend, Salim to pay for my lawyer. Since as a friend he is morally obligated to help me, this help causes financial distress to him despite him doing no wrong, You have to dismiss all charges on me"

That is what your case sounds like. Friends, Family where do you draw the line? There is not a court in the world that will even consider being lenient due to the 'I'm gonna make my family poorer if this case goes on' argument.
I understand your point and realise that no court will do that, but I'm just looking at the moral issue here, which in my eyes makes the whole thing unfair. Why can't they just be happy with banning him for life.

smash84

The Tiger King
Nobody should be criminally prosecuted for such a minor incident, especially at that age. He hasn't committed murder, but rather he has made a mistake. According to your logic he might as well be hung for treason.
If he has committed treason then yes he should be hung for it. Let justice be served. There is something very wrong with our collective conscience here in Pakistan where we refuse to see the wrong in things.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
If he has committed treason then yes he should be hung for it. Let justice be served. There is something very wrong with our collective conscience here in Pakistan where we refuse to see the wrong in things.
Where have I refused to see the wrong. He has bowled a no-ball (which isn't treason) and a life ban is punishment enough, why go for an extreme punishment which doesn't fit the crime. For all you know he could have been intimidated. Did you not read the conversation between Majeed and Aamir, the guy was treating him like dirt. And if he is found not guilty at the end of the investigation (most likely scenario because no bets were placed) then is it OK for him to live the rest of his life in poverty.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I understand your point and realise that no court will do that, but I'm just looking at the moral issue here, which in my eyes makes the whole thing unfair. Why can't they just be happy with banning him for life.
I think to the CPS, what the ICC do is irrelevant. The CPS is helping our laws be upheld by ensuring people who break them are convicted and punished. The ICC is more like whether they can keep their jobs.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Agent,

To analogize, Say, Aamir is an employee in an office, He steals 90k$ from the office and is caught. The office first fires him permanently(Life-ban) then starts criminal proceedings on him in a court of law. From this point on, The office cannot intervene and decide what is enough punishment.

What you're saying is just because the employee is only 18, The office should just be satisfied with firing him and not even take the issue to a court.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Where have I refused to see the wrong. He has bowled a no-ball (which isn't treason) and a life ban is punishment enough, why go for an extreme punishment which doesn't fit the crime. For all you know he could have been intimidated. Did you not read the conversation between Majeed and Aamir, the guy was treating him like dirt. And if he is found not guilty at the end of the investigation (most likely scenario because no bets were placed) then is it OK for him to live the rest of his life in poverty.
The CPS wouldn't press ahead with the case if it is likely that he'd be found not guilty - would be a waste of funds.

And if he's found innocent, doesn't he have his costs covered?

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I think to the CPS, what the ICC do is irrelevant. The CPS is helping our laws be upheld by ensuring people who break them are convicted and punished. The ICC is more like whether they can keep their jobs.
But the CPS doesn't reimburse people who have been found not guilty but have lost everything due to legal fees do they. Again is there anybody here who can tell me whether a non British citizen is eligible for legal aid.

I joined this forum thinking that people on here were fair, but i was wrong. From the replies I have got so far, it seems that nobody has an ounce of sympathy for a poor kid who has made a mistake in his life.

What about the other cheaters, like Gibbs and Akram, who were not prosecuted, but rather given a slap on the wrists. For Akram, Justice Qayyum blushed like a little girl when he mentioned that he had a crush on him.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But the CPS doesn't reimburse people who have been found not guilty but have lost everything due to legal fees do they. Again is there anybody here who can tell me whether a non British citizen is eligible for legal aid.

I joined this forum thinking that people on here were fair, but i was wrong. From the replies I have got so far, it seems that nobody has an ounce of sympathy for a poor kid who has made a mistake in his life.

What about the other cheaters, like Gibbs and Akram, who were not prosecuted, but rather given a slap on the wrists. For Akram, Justice Qayyum blushed like a little girl when he mentioned that he had a crush on him.
Again yes they are eligible for legal aid and if they choose to fund there defence privately and are acquitted they would almost certainly then get their costs paid from central funds

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Yes they are
OK thanks for the info. Would be grateful if you can provide a link

Agent,

To analogize, Say, Aamir is an employee in an office, He steals 90k$ from the office and is caught. The office first fires him permanently(Life-ban) then starts criminal proceedings on him in a court of law. From this point on, The office cannot intervene and decide what is enough punishment.

What you're saying is just because the employee is only 18, The office should just be satisfied with firing him and not even take the issue to a court.
But he hasn't received any money from this and he hasn't committed a crime.

The CPS wouldn't press ahead with the case if it is likely that he'd be found not guilty - would be a waste of funds.

And if he's found innocent, doesn't he have his costs covered?
Nobody placed any bets, so how is it a crime. He also didn't receive any money but rather it was Riaz the jacket who got the money and then it was Butt who had it on him. He was just told to bowl a no-ball and could have been threatened, because Majeed treated him like dirt on the phone. All of this points to no criminal activity. Does the CPS really reimburse? Can anybody answer that.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
OK I guess I have to apologise to everybody for wasting their time, because somebody has now mentioned that he can claim legal aid or be reimbursed if he funds his defence privately and is found not guilty.

But I still think prosecuting him and the others is over the top.

fredfertang

With the greatest of respect you simply can't know that. He may not have committed a crime - to establish whether he has is what the trial process is for - like every other person who appears before an English jury the Crown will have to satisfy that jury beyond reasonable doubt that he is guilty

fredfertang

OK I guess I have to apologise to everybody for wasting their time, because somebody has now mentioned that he can claim legal aid or be reimbursed if he funds his defence privately and is found not guilty.

But I still think prosecuting him and the others is over the top.
You haven't wasted anyone's time - welcome to CW :)

Jacknife

International Captain
OK thanks for the info. Would be grateful if you can provide a link

Nobody placed any bets, so how is it a crime. He also didn't receive any money but rather it was Riaz the jacket who got the money and then it was Butt who had it on him. He was just told to bowl a no-ball and could have been threatened, because Majeed treated him like dirt on the phone. All of this points to no criminal activity. Does the CPS really reimburse? Can anybody answer that.
Mate you don't know what evidence has been dug up by the Police and the CPS and how do you know whether he received any money or not, so I don't know how you can say there's been no criminal activity and at the end of the day the CPS don't take people to court unless they are sure they can win.

social

This is becoming nonsensical

They bowled a couple of no balls - big ****ing deal

2 years and move on

There looked to be ample evidence that Prior, Haddin, Dhoni, and about another hundred others have cheated or tried to cheat in an international and I dont see them being banned for life or having their freedom taken away

Would be funny if it wasnt so serious

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Mate you don't know what evidence has been dug up by the Police and the CPS and how do you know whether he received any money or not, so I don't know how you can say there's been no criminal activity and at the end of the day the CPS don't take people to court unless they are sure they can win.

Yeah I guess you are right and I was going over the top, but isn't the case based on the evidence NOTW provided, because if they had more stuff then surely Kakmal and co would also be facing criminal charges, plus the money was recovered from Butt because he claimed they were for his sisters wedding and the only thing related to Aamir that NOTW provided was the video footage and the phone conversation with Majeed in which he was sort of threatening Aamir. That is why I'm OK with Butt for going to prison because he received the money but from the evidence it seems Asif and Aamir only bowled no-balls (but they should be banned for life).

What is your opinion, do you have any sympathy for him or do you think he should go to jail?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
We know that all these players had ICC anti-corruption training... it would be interesting to know if it covered the criminal laws that you would break in major cricketing nations and the consequences. I would expect it would but who knows.