• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon the ICC are doing a pretty good job on this so far... it's pretty much as tricky as things get for them.

Whatever happens tomorrow, I can't see how they can play until the court case is done.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Whatever happens tomorrow, I can't see how they can play until the court case is done.
Which could potentially take years.

The CPS has a conviction rate 80.7 % and they must be pretty confident that the jury would find them guilty otherwise they wouldn't have pressed charges. The trio plus Mazhar Majeed face 2 years max imprisonment and/or unlimited fine for cheating (section 42 of gambling act 2005) and 7 years max imprisonment and/or unlimited fine for obtaining and accepting corrupt payments (section 1 of the prevention of corruption act 1996).

The hearing to be held for the 5th of Feb was quite deliberate by the ICC.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
What I don't understand is, why was John Higgins (snooker player) wasn't prosecuted and was only banned for 6 months despite being caught for match fixing by the same NOTW reporter Mazher Mahmood.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
What I don't understand is, why was John Higgins (snooker player) wasn't prosecuted and was only banned for 6 months despite being caught for match fixing by the same NOTW reporter Mazher Mahmood.
I think it was never proved that he did anything, just talked about it. Which was then explained away as fearing for his life when he was approached, iirc.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Banning the trio for life is the right thing to do, but prosecuting them for cheating is going too far. Aamir can barely afford a lawyer for representing him in the ICC hearing, but hiring one for a court case which could potentially take years will make sure that he goes back to the slum from where he came from without a penny to his name even if he is found not guilty at the end.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
I agree with the sentiment that they should be banned for life, but also that jail is a bit overkill.

I do strongly hope they all get life bans though, assuming they are guilty.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Meh. You break the law, you deal with the consequences.
Haha, yea. I mean there are loads of poor people who can't afford high powered lawyers (in fact, most people who need criminal lawyers are poor).....

I'm easily in favor of a life ban, and always have been.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Meh. You break the law, you deal with the consequences.
It won't be just Aamir footing the bill, his family will probably have to sell everything in order to hire a lawyer. With the high rates of inflation and unemployment in Pakistan, this means that a whole family is condemned for bowling a no-ball; a crime they had nothing to do with. And Anglo-American legal system is supposed to be fair, lol.

I hope the Pakistani Government refuses to have them extradited.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
It won't be just Aamir footing the bill, his family will probably have to sell everything in order to hire a lawyer. With the high rates of inflation and unemployment in Pakistan, this means that a whole family is condemned for bowling a no-ball; a crime they had nothing to do with. And Anglo-American legal system is supposed to be fair, lol.

I hope the Pakistani Government refuses to have them extradited.
You know there's a way to avoid that scenario - Plead Guilty. lol.