Page 85 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 2070
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: ***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Come on guys, why else would his thumb be there? It's such a telltale sign when some bloke is trying to rough up one side of the ball simply because there's no other reason to hold the ball like that (it's pretty uncomfortable). Guys who hold the ball that way are usually trying to dig the thumb in and whilst raising the seam helps quite a bit in getting swing (conventional or reverse), making one side of the ball far rougher than the other is crucial for reversing the ball.

Anyway, I'm on the side of the debate which says you should be allowed to maintain ball in any natural way you see fit so I'm largely on Shoaib's side. Don't see anything unfair in blokes roughing up one side of the ball using teeth, nails, spit, semen, whatever. Altering the condition of the ball to help you out, in my book, is very skillful bowling and I've never seen a coherent reason for why it results in an unfair advantage. That said, I'd advocate that if bowlers are allowed to do so, they fudge it and the ball stops swinging, they shouldn't be allowed to change it short of the ball smiling back at the bowler. Altering the condition of the ball is a skill, yes, but it's not and shouldn't be without risk that you're going to kill the swing you were getting to that point.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 23-09-2010 at 06:47 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruxdude View Post
    The standing on ball photo looks similar to Lampard screwing Terry photo TBF.

quite deceptive isn't it.
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Come on guys, why else would his thumb be there? It's such a telltale sign when some bloke is trying to rough up one side of the ball simply because there's no other reason to hold the ball like that (it's pretty uncomfortable). Guys who hold the ball that way are usually trying to dig the thumb in and whilst raising the seam helps quite a bit in getting swing (conventional or reverse), making one side of the ball far rougher than the other is crucial for reversing the ball.
    Yeah, baffling how anyone could not think it'd be helpful IF that is what Shoaib is doing.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Pakistan have been suspected of playing with the ball for years. I remember a few years back the touring NZ side got their hands on a ball used by the quicks before the ball boys got their hands on it and allegedly there were scratches and marks which, allegedly, could be replicated with a bottlecap.

Then the NZ team copied and Pringle got all that swing. Then they admitted it and got away scott free.

Ridiculous chain of events really, and the ICC did nothing about either side.
    You remember? Were you even born when that tour was underway in the 1990/91 season?

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    You remember? Were you even born when that tour was underway in the 1990/91 season?
    I think he was 1.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    phlegm haz long memory.

But fine, I read/heard
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    phlegm haz long memory.

But fine, I read/heard
    I followed that series on the radio. Flem's story is accurate. The NZ players blatantly admitted to taking a bottle cap on the field. Pringle practised in the nets to learn how to control the ball because it was quite difficult to get it right. The umpires inspected the ball and commented that "now it is fair for both teams".

If the Pakistanis were using a bottle cap then martin crowe is a genius because he still scored runs that tour while the other nz players were less successful.

Edit - I missed the part where Flem said he "remembers" LOL
    Last edited by Hurricane; 23-09-2010 at 11:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Come on guys, why else would his thumb be there? It's such a telltale sign when some bloke is trying to rough up one side of the ball simply because there's no other reason to hold the ball like that (it's pretty uncomfortable). Guys who hold the ball that way are usually trying to dig the thumb in and whilst raising the seam helps quite a bit in getting swing (conventional or reverse), making one side of the ball far rougher than the other is crucial for reversing the ball..
    Except that a couple of scratches on the side with the fingernail aren't going to achieve the kind of overall roughness you need to reverse it. Which is the point you guys are missing.
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    What's the issue with asking Tendulkar what he drives? I'm obviously missing something.
    I doubt he said it to Tendulkar to be honest. Can't see the worth in sledging someone with a line like that when I'd imagine Tendulkar makes more from the game than Prior (and is at least 10 times the player).

The way the line is phrased though I think you'd have to be deliberately missing the intent of the remark. It's pretty obvious if someone makes a crack like this on the field their intention isn't just to simply ask what car the other player is driving these days.

Prior explained himself in the article and it doesn't sound that dissimilar to what Gilchrist and Symonds (I think!?) were doing a few years back with product placements in their on-field chat. Not a big deal.
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 24-09-2010 at 06:25 AM.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by irottev View Post
    lol at hitting with batting pads. What a couple of bitches. Shoulda hit him with his handbag instead.
    The post you quoted didn't say 'batting pads', just 'pads'. Could well have been their sanitary napkins...I'd be outraged too if this was the case to be honest.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Tendulkar is a big boy, it seems hardly bad. Throwing jelly beans on the pitch could be considered tampering (what if a ball hits it and changes trajectory?) but asking for a car is simply a prudent financial plan. You never know if he's in a good mood.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Except that a couple of scratches on the side with the fingernail aren't going to achieve the kind of overall roughness you need to reverse it. Which is the point you guys are missing.
    A couple of scratches combined with the repeated throwing in of the ball on the bounce and the ball being scuffed by being stood on will assist reverse swing.

Presumably the match balls Pakistan used are around somewhere. There were remarks several times on TMS about how they looked like the dog had been playing with it.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Themer View Post
    A couple of scratches combined with the repeated throwing in of the ball on the bounce and the ball being scuffed by being stood on will assist reverse swing.
    They must have some skill to be able to throw it in on the bounce and hit the same side every time!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

There's obviously some luck involved when you throw it in on the bounce but they were warned by the umpires quite a few times during the series about their throws bouncing.

Thread Information