Page 84 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 2070
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: ***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote from my mate, "looks like half of them are cheating to lose and half are cheating to win so I guess it balances out."
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

"I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Nah come on. If you scratch the side of a ball it is still ball tampering, as it can affect the swing of the ball. Not saying he did it, but it's hardly a 'non-story'.

It is the media's job to expose stuff like this. It may be a non-issue, but purely on those pictures there is a story in it.
    I am not denying it, just want to have more evidence (e.g. the video).

Yeah sure, but my point is, IF Shoaib scratches the side of the ball, it is ball tampering. GI Joe was suggesting that even if he did it, it wasn't. Which I was disputing.

Your reply earlier suggested that it'd only be deemed ball tampering by us because the UK tabloid had pictures of him doing it, and if they didn't it wouldn't otherwise be true.

Fair enough if that's not what you meant, but it read that way.

GIMH
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Doesn't matter whether he's successful in doing it, the attempt to ball tamper is illegal.

Plus, pushing your thumb nail into a side of the ball is ball tampering in every person's language.

There are plenty of purposes to ball tamper. There isn't 'one illegal way' and the rest are fine.
    Okay, lets go purely technical and accept that it is ball tampering, despite the fact that there isn't any specific advantage to be gained from picking at the side of a ball.

Now, from those pictures, could you prove that there was pressure from the thumbnail into the surface of the ball sufficient enough to alter its condition, as opposed to him just gripping it harmlessly between his thumb and fingers? Why not just wait for some video footage instead of getting the pitchforks out?

I don't buy it. Picking at the seam, yes, that's understandable. Picking at the sides? That achieves nowhere near the same effect as roughing up the sides by traditional and accepted methods. Its like picking your nose as opposed to sandpapering it. Not the same thing. You're not going to achieve the required roughness of the side unless you make multiple micro picks all over the surface. A couple of picks isn't going to do anything for you. Shoaib's either an idiot who doesn't know the basics, or this is plain sensationalism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Okay, lets go purely technical and accept that it is ball tampering, despite the fact that there isn't any specific advantage to be gained from picking at the side of a ball.

Now, from those pictures, could you prove that there was pressure from the thumbnail into the surface of the ball sufficient enough to alter its condition, as opposed to him just gripping it harmlessly between his thumb and fingers? Why not just wait for some video footage instead of getting the pitchforks out?

I don't buy it. Picking at the seam, yes, that's understandable. Picking at the sides? That achieves nowhere near the same effect as roughing up the sides by traditional and accepted methods. Its like picking your nose as opposed to sandpapering it. Not the same thing. You're not going to achieve the required roughness of the side unless you make multiple micro picks all over the surface. A couple of picks isn't going to do anything for you. Shoaib's either an idiot who doesn't know the basics, or this is plain sensationalism.
    AWTA by soooo much. You need the video evidence before coming to any kind of a conclusion. We have no idea if this was a split second motion of his thumb grazing the ball or was he attempting to dig a hole in the ball. As for the one pic where it’s alleged he “stands on” the ball, it’s not even clear his foot is on the ball! Pictures, taken in the 2D realm, can often be deceptive when it comes to illustrating distance between two objects. For all we know, Shoaib’s foot could’ve been several meters away from the ball in that picture. Any who, it’s sensationalist journalism (as expected from the source) until proper video footage is examined.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    AWTA by soooo much. You need the video evidence before coming to any kind of a conclusion. We have no idea if this was a split second motion of his thumb grazing the ball or was he attempting to dig a hole in the ball. As for the one pic where it’s alleged he “stands on” the ball, it’s not even clear his foot is on the ball! Pictures, taken in the 2D realm, can often be deceptive when it comes to illustrating distance between two objects. For all we know, Shoaib’s foot could’ve been several meters away from the ball in that picture. Any who, it’s sensationalist journalism (as expected from the source) until proper video footage is examined.
    Definitely agree with this. It's impossible to tell anything from a freeze-frame or still shot like this, you have absolutely no idea what he is doing to the ball until you get a moving shot.

Reckon this is just a mountain out of a mole hill, I reckon you could get 1000s of pictures from every ODI that would apparently show someone picking at the ball just from how they are holding it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    You'd've thought that if we're going to import Saffas into our team they'd at least be man enough to lash out with fists or maybe a bat or a pair of spikes. A batting pad? C'mon Trotty, you can do better than that
    These Soutpiele can let the pads do the talking
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    The standing on ball photo looks similar to Lampard screwing Terry photo TBF.

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    I agree we should suspend judgment until we see the video, particularly as regards the stamping allegation. But I think we're kidding ourselves if we pretend that the thumb-gouging photos aren't pretty damning in themselves.

But ultimately I don't really care that much. Shoaib has bowled brilliantly in the ODIs, he's lit up the series, and my view of cricketing skullduggery has been rather shifted by other events in recent weeks.

Besides which the philosophy of GIMH's mate (post of the year, btw) has chilled me out no end.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Quote from my mate, "looks like half of them are cheating to lose and half are cheating to win so I guess it balances out."
    Brilliant.

Edit: your mate, obviously. Not you, ****.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    The laws of the game allow a side to attempt to maintain the ball's original condition.

Can anyone then explain to me why shining one side of the ball is perfectly legal, but picking the seam if it goes flat isn't?

The fact is, Akhtar is trying to ball tamper. No matter how bad it is he's trying to cheat. Pakistan aren't learning. It's time for the ICC to grow a pair and do something about this because it escalates with every passing game.

Akhtar is a drug cheat also. They're just cheats and have absolutely no ethics or morals.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Pakistan have been suspected of playing with the ball for years. I remember a few years back the touring NZ side got their hands on a ball used by the quicks before the ball boys got their hands on it and allegedly there were scratches and marks which, allegedly, could be replicated with a bottlecap.

Then the NZ team copied and Pringle got all that swing. Then they admitted it and got away scott free.

Ridiculous chain of events really, and the ICC did nothing about either side.
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Thread Information