• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Are you sure? Perhaps I've misread it though
From CricInfo....

"But Beloff added that Amir and Asif have been acquitted of all charges relating to The Oval"

That's seems like they're not guilty for the Oval, still under investigation for Lord's however.

Xuhaib

International Coach
The lawyer is doing his best to help his client. Not that I agree him, but if Asif walks free or walks with a lighter punishment in comparison to the other two , I will lose all hope and would never support Pakistan cricket ever again.
if any of the guys walk free then how is it Pakistan cricket fault? the case is being handled by ICC not PCB.

bagapath

International Captain
i think zaheer abbas is an idiot. him blaming PCB for not standing by its players shows his immaturity and how little he has understood the gravity of the accusations. he cant play the "the whole world is against us. we have to support our boys" card at this time if he really wants pakistan cricket to be clean. asif iqbal finding fault with the proceedings is not surprising at all. for all you know, he could be the man who started this cancerous trend back in the 80s. remember him hobnobbing with dawood and co freely during the CBFS in Sharjah many times.

if the players are of cleared of any wrongdoings then good on them. if that happens, either they are genuinely not guilty or ICC is also corrupt that you cant blame pakistan alone. zaheer abbas should understand that pakistan stands to benefit a lot by cooperating with ICC. am dead sure all pakistani fans want the corrupt ones weeded out of the game; of course there will always be idiots who will call this whole episode a conspiracy to tarnish their country's image. but they should be ignored.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
i think zaheer abbas is an idiot. him blaming PCB for not standing by its players shows his immaturity and how little he has understood the gravity of the accusations. he cant play the "the whole world is against us. we have to support our boys" card at this time if he really wants pakistan cricket to be clean. asif iqbal finding fault with the proceedings is not surprising at all. for all you know, he could be the man who started this cancerous trend back in the 80s. remember him hobnobbing with dawood and co freely during the CBFS in Sharjah freely.

if the players are of cleared of any wrongdoings then good on them. if that happens, either they are genuinely not guilty or ICC is also corrupt that you cant blame pakistan alone. zaheer abbas should understand that pakistan stands to benefit a lot by cooperating with ICC. am dead sure all pakistani fans want the corrupt ones weeded out of the game; of course there will always be idiots who will call this whole episode a conspiracy to tarnish their country's image. but they should be ignored.
Zaheer Abbad coincidently happens to live on the same street as i live probably the most dumbest individual I have ever met his wife wears the pants in the house not even the area doodh wala takes him seriously.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The lawyer is doing his best to help his client. Not that I agree him, but if Asif walks free or walks with a lighter punishment in comparison to the other two , I will lose all hope and would never support Pakistan cricket ever again.
Even if they are judged not guilty? if it is the case, then you are bitter about the fast bowling abilities of the Pakistanis.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Even if they are judged not guilty?
Yeah quite. From the little we've seen, the evidence against Asif seems a little weaker than against Amir. Whatever the verdict, we ought to respect it. This is a seriously impressive panel of judges, and a very thorough process.

It's interesting to learn that charges were brought against all 3 players in relation to the Oval Test (which Pakistan won), and being dropped against 2 of them. It seems that predictions were made on that occasion also, but they didn't materialise. That, it seems to me, might work in the players' favour when it comes to the Lord's charges, because the prosecution case that "the coincidence is too striking for these no-balls to be accidental" holds less water if there were other events predicted which did not come to pass. A 100% accuracy rate in predictions, as suggested by the original reporting, would be hard to explain away as coincidence. An accuracy rate of (say) 50% looks a little less overwhelming.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Yeah quite From the little we've seen, the evidence against Asif seems a little weaker than against Amir.
yeah Asif is in a quite comfortable position I reckon he's holding the argument that the captain asked him to bowl a deliberate no ball to stop the batsman from charging him remember this is also the argument that both Butt and Aamer are using however what works in favour of Asif is that he has no other links with Majeed he was not his agent nor there is any record i.e a phone call or an sms between the two of them.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah Asif is in a quite comfortable position I reckon he's holding the argument that the captain asked him to bowl a deliberate no ball to stop the batsman from charging him remember this is also the argument that both Butt and Aamer are using however what works in favour of Asif is that he has no other links with Majeed he was not his agent nor there is any record i.e a phone call or an sms between the two of them.
Yep. But I have to admit, I really don't know any of the detail of the evidence that was put forward at the hearing, which was conducted behind closed doors and with very sketchy press coverage that amounts to little more than guesswork. So we're all largely guessing at this stage. Hopefully the Panel's judgment, whichever way it goes, will be detailed and fully reasoned.

smash84

The Tiger King
Yep. But I have to admit, I really don't know any of the detail of the evidence that was put forward at the hearing, which was conducted behind closed doors and with very sketchy press coverage that amounts to little more than guesswork. So we're all largely guessing at this stage. Hopefully the Panel's judgment, whichever way it goes, will be detailed and fully reasoned.
There was a show on a pakistan tv channel today and a former cricketer (Basit Ali) claimed that the punishments have already been decided. That Amir will get a ban of 2-3 years, Asif for 5 years and Butt a life ban. Another well known cricket journalist (abdul Majid Bhatti) was there and he also said the same thing. I wonder if they were just guessing or they really had the inside scoop??? Basit Ali IIRC was one of the first whistle blowers on the match fixing thing.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That intrigues me. If it was up to me, based on the evidence I've seen so far, Asif should be acquitted, Amir should get 5 years, Butt life.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
There was a show on a pakistan tv channel today and a former cricketer (Basit Ali) claimed that the punishments have already been decided. That Amir will get a ban of 2-3 years, Asif for 5 years and Butt a life ban. Another well known cricket journalist (abdul Majid Bhatti) was there and he also said the same thing. I wonder if they were just guessing or they really had the inside scoop??? Basit Ali IIRC was one of the first whistle blowers on the match fixing thing.
I would take that with a big pinch of salt. I'd be surprised if the panel has even reached verdicts yet, let alone decided upon sentences. And this panel should not be confused with a bunch of ICC lackeys who will simply toe the party line - they are serious lawyers and judges whose integrity is beyond question

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I would take that with a big pinch of salt. I'd be surprised if the panel has even reached verdicts yet, let alone decided upon sentences. And this panel should not be confused with a bunch of ICC lackeys who will simply toe the party line - they are serious lawyers and judges whose integrity is beyond question
That does make me a lot more comfortable to be honest. Knowing the fact that its not going to be a political verdict but a legal one is a lot more acceptable.

A politically correct verdict could be a life ban for all 3 imo.