• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hilarious thing to do, but why on earth would you wear jeans, a t-shirt and a tracksuit top to a hearing that's going to decide your future career? Surely if you're not going to suit up you'd at least wear something a bit nice?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Hilarious thing to do, but why on earth would you wear jeans, a t-shirt and a tracksuit top to a hearing that's going to decide your future career? Surely if you're not going to suit up you'd at least wear something a bit nice?
Insanity defence

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Just cos it felt right.

But yeah, seems a bit weird to wear something casual to a jury. Plus he looks fried as well.

morgieb

From all the evidence I've seen, it looks like Butt and Amir know they're guilty but are trying to get around it for some reason.

And the Asif evidence - being told to bowl a quick delivery - sounds a bit strange, especially if the no-ball was as blatant as the Amir no-ball. But he isn't acting like a tool like the other 2, wouldn't be totally surprised if he's found not guilty. Track record suggests he should be banned for life if he is found guilty, however.

Wonder whether other players are involved and get bans as well.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
From all the evidence I've seen, it looks like Butt and Amir know they're guilty but are trying to get around it for some reason.

And the Asif evidence - being told to bowl a quick delivery - sounds a bit strange, especially if the no-ball was as blatant as the Amir no-ball. But he isn't acting like a tool like the other 2, wouldn't be totally surprised if he's found not guilty. Track record suggests he should be banned for life if he is found guilty, however.

Wonder whether other players are involved and get bans as well.
When has Asif accepted responsibility for anything that he has been proven guilty of ? He always finds someone to blame for all his acts. Earlier it was "Shoaib Akhtar" the favorite whipping boy of Pakistan Cricket and now it is Salman Butt, Tomorrow it will be someone else.

I am not saying that Butt and Amer are not guilty, but Asif is equally guilty, if not more, esp if we consider his past.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
reckon the lawyer wants to play "see he's just a teenager card" not that I agree with it.
The lawyer is doing his best to help his client. Not that I agree him, but if Asif walks free or walks with a lighter punishment in comparison to the other two , I will lose all hope and would never support Pakistan cricket ever again.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just as an aside, Salman Butt's lawyer is Alexander Cameron, elder bro of our PM.

Decision deferred til 5th Feb, anyway.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Actually, Asif's defence of a quicker ball is interesting. From memory, his "ordered" no ball saw him overstep fractionally, did it not?

Amir got about halfway down the pitch for his no-ball, but Asif's, if it was deliberate, would have taken immense skill to pull off.

morgieb

Amir and Asif apparently found not guilty for The Oval tests, Butt still under investigation though.

I thought the Oval one had the blatant no-balls in it however? And why is it deferred until February?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Amir and Asif apparently found not guilty for The Oval tests, Butt still under investigation though.

I thought the Oval one had the blatant no-balls in it however? And why is it deferred until February?
Presumably because a guilty verdict ends or significantly damages the careers of all three players and the ICC, having heard all the evidence, want to take their time before rushing a judgement?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member

Are you sure? Perhaps I've misread it though