• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

AaronK

State Regular
I really enjoyed this little segment on Pak cricket in cricinfo

Where does Pakistan cricket go from here? | Cricket videos, MP3, podcasts, cricket audio at ESPN Cricinfo

it is good to see that some of the neutral experts and commentators care about pak cricket..

Sanjay and Harsha are both my favorite commentators and i take their opinion very highly on most matters.. Sanjay manjaraker specifically suggested that maybe it is important to give pakistan sometimes off and a cooling period.. so a ban of 2 to 3 years could maybe make things better for the future of pakistan cricket..

I do agree that a ban should be enforced on Pakistan cricket but not for that long..

I personally think that the Pak cricket board is very weak and it gives player too much freedom.. as a result, they can do whatever they please.. and they do what they please...they can't be punished for their actions as PCB has no balls to take any actions against these players..

i say ban Pak cricket till they change their system and the set up that they have right now... the current pcb set up is completely influnced by politics most of the time.. ICC should try to isolate cricket from politics in pakistan as politics is the main reason behind all the mess..

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
ICC should try to isolate cricket from politics in pakistan as politics is the main reason behind all the mess..
I agree with this much.

The rest is not quite as simple. The cricket world will be much poorer without Pakistan.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
Spot-fixing controversy: Mohammad Amir 'desperate' for international return | Pakistan Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

I have only 3 words for you

Get Lost B***H..........

I will be eating my words if he turns out innocent but the sight of him makes me mad.
i think amir can be "redeemed" - its butt who really cuts me up - we all knew asif off the field was a reckless fool, but butt was the captain, he looked somewhat credible, in fact he was earning praise all round, he also was not a village bumpkin - yet he was one of the biggest facilitators of this mess.

smash84

The Tiger King
i think amir can be "redeemed" - its butt who really cuts me up - we all knew asif off the field was a reckless fool, but butt was the captain, he looked somewhat credible, in fact he was earning praise all round, he also was not a village bumpkin - yet he was one of the biggest facilitators of this mess.
I doubt Amir can be redeemed. What makes you say that???

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
I doubt Amir can be redeemed. What makes you say that???
there should be a punishment, there should be an understanding that if he is ever caught in a similar situation his career his over - but this incident should not be the end of him given his age and the environment he was in - he was more vulnerable and was likely to be the less active member in this fixing

smash84

The Tiger King
there should be a punishment, there should be an understanding that if he is ever caught in a similar situation his career his over - but this incident should not be the end of him given his age and the environment he was in - he was more vulnerable and was likely to be the less active member in this fixing
Less active or more active. Life bans for those involved. For far too long the PCB and ICC have been very lenient. An example has to be made out of people and Amir if found guilty should be dealt with equally severely.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
Less active or more active. Life bans for those involved. For far too long the PCB and ICC have been very lenient. An example has to be made out of people and Amir if found guilty should be dealt with equally severely.
this is a call for others to make, but i think life bans for amir and butt and a fairly lengthy ban for amir (2 years or thereabouts) is sufficient, i am not advocate of the one size fits all approach.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
this is a call for others to make, but i think life bans for amir and butt and a fairly lengthy ban for amir (2 years or thereabouts) is sufficient, i am not advocate of the one size fits all approach.
Look, I'd have been more convinced of the "poor little boy" argument had Aamer come clean when the scandal broke out. He still hasn't, and the sight of him grinning on newspaper pages as he walks out of questionings and hearings only convinces me that if guilty, he's a crook, full stop.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Legally yeah, it probably doesn't. But then strictly speaking, once you accept the number 18 as a cut off, nothing else should matter too.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
Look, I'd have been more convinced of the "poor little boy" argument had Aamer come clean when the scandal broke out. He still hasn't, and the sight of him grinning on newspaper pages as he walks out of questionings and hearings only convinces me that if guilty, he's a crook, full stop.
this reasoning is a joke right?

regardless of that i hope he does show contrition, do the sensible thing and regret his involvement - to a large extent that depends on the people around him because as any teenager he will need guidance in this matter.

G.I.Joe

International Coach

regardless of that i hope he does show contrition, do the sensible thing and regret his involvement - to a large extent that depends on the people around him because as any teenager he will need guidance in this matter.
How is the reasoning a joke if you go on to state almost the exact same thing? The only difference is that I demand confession and genuine remorse after the fact, while you prefer a "aw crap, I'm proven guilty, might as well bring out the waterworks now" tactic.

smash84

The Tiger King
Legally yeah, it probably doesn't. But then strictly speaking, once you accept the number 18 as a cut off, nothing else should matter too.
Actually it is his complicity in the matter and the fact that he did not confide into any neutral party as to what was actually taking place. Nobody knows for how long this has been going on. Surely at some point he should have confided in somebody neutral to allay his apprehensions or misgivings about such a venture? What was it that was stopping him??? Fear?? Real danger??? Or just that opportunity to make a quick buck????

And even 18 is an arbitrary age established by the modern legal system. Most teenagers would tell you that they are able to distinguish between right and wrong at a far earlier age.
I don't see why Amir deserves any leniency for being involved in wrong doing.

And yes I really don't care if he smiles outside the court room or not. If he is guilty then justice be served. Also GI do you really think his sentence should have been lighter had he shown remorse for the photographers outside the courtroom???

G.I.Joe

International Coach
It's genuine remorse that could make a difference if the age argument holds any water, not remorse specifically for the photographers. The photographers themselves are incidental, and only serve the purpose of capturing the moment. If he's grinning for them, he's grinning into the faces of every fan who looked up to him. They're the medium, he's conveying the message.

Shri

Mr. Glass
We have seen far too many politicians sport a smirk on their faces after being cleared from cases where they are obviously guilty, guessing that made Joe mad here(not that he has ever been not mad, but my point stands:p).

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
How is the reasoning a joke if you go on to state almost the exact same thing? The only difference is that I demand confession and genuine remorse after the fact, while you prefer a "aw crap, I'm proven guilty, might as well bring out the waterworks now" tactic.
because you seem to be basing your views on seeing him smiling thats all.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain

Its not a joke tbh.

I agree with G.I Joe that at least he should have come out clean on this issue and at least should have categorically denied any involvement. He should clearly stated his position that No, i didn't take any money what so ever to bowl a no ball, that no ball was a genuine mistake due to my run up or some **** like that.

If you have done nothing wrong, then what are you afraid off? Should have pleaded his case in the highest court, should have stood up in front of the media to say No this is bull **** , i didn't do nothing.

But the reactions from Butt and him have been anything but those of innocence. If you are innocent, then the confidence of being acquitted should be present on your face...it wasn't in any of the places i saw Amir or Butt.

They had the "***k i got caught" look to them.

Last edited: