• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
:laugh:

Are you secretly an expert on publicity law and know everything that there is to know about the legalities of whether the ICC should or shouldn't release any information that they have into the public domain, because I'm sure not.

In all honesty, what the Pakistani fans want (and I have every sympathy with them) isn't the issue and it isn't close to being the most important thing here. The integrity of the game is I'm afriad.
are you secretly an expert on law, whats publicity law? :unsure:

but back to the point - the integrity of the game is what i am thinking about, so if the ICC say they have something which is apparently so substantive that they can comment on it then it needs to be made public, it has to at one point.

this is particularly interesting because if not much was said/done after the NOTW fuss then whats the content of the SUN "revelations"??

G.I.Joe

International Coach

but back to the point - the integrity of the game is what i am thinking about, so if the ICC say they have something which is apparently so substantive that they can comment on it then it needs to be made public, it has to at one point.

this is particularly interesting because if not much was said/done after the NOTW fuss then whats the content of the SUN "revelations"??
They've decided that that point is obviously not right now. What are you arguing about??

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Erm no I'm not, hence me saying 'I'm certainly not'. I just made up the term publicity law, but I mean to say that the law with regards to whether the ICC are allowed to release information into the public, as it might prejudice any future trial/invoke some sort of libel case. Like I said, I know absolutely bugger all about Law so this is mainly guesswork.

Jacknife

International Captain
but the ICC said that they seemed "broadly correct" - well anyone can be broadly correct, so whats the big deal?

in the scenario you described its being precisely correct.

then you need to know what context these prediction were made in - how many bets were placed? by who? when?

there are so many questions to verify about unregulated activity that i am surprised the ICC are giving it the time of day
The fact is you don't know and neither do the rest of us know what evidence the ICC have been handed,so I don't understand with everything that has taken place, how you come to the conclusion that the ICC shouldn't be giving it the time of day.Do you suggest whatever they've got, they sweep it under the carpet because of the what has already happened this summer with the 3 suspended players.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
The fact is you don't know and neither do the rest of us know what evidence the ICC have been handed,so I don't understand with everything that has taken place, how you come to the conclusion that the ICC shouldn't be giving it the time of day.Do you suggest whatever they've got, they sweep it under the carpet because of the what has already happened this summer with the 3 suspended players.
well true, but perhaps not.

given that we know that this betting is underground and unregulated i am wondering how the ICC can QUANTIFY anything at all suspicious has happened unless it was precise information.

but the ICC have already said thats the "information" was broadly correct, therefore i am already skeptical as to what the ICC could possibly know that makes it worthwhile - are they au fait with the in's and out's of the underground betting world - because they would have to be to believe they have a point.

otherwise its just a piece of "information" with no context - and context is what i want dammit!!!

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Its a distinct possibility that this latest "information" is actually pretty useless and amounts to no more than a bit of opportunist bandwagon jumping - given the present situation though the ICC have no real choice other than to be seen to be taking it seriously

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
"There is loud and clear talk in bookie circles that some English players have taken enormous amounts of money to lose the match [the third ODI]. No wonder there was such a collapse."

Well how does Ijaz butt know about it?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Those comments by Ijaz Butt wrt English players taking bribes are absolutely outrageous.

Would the England team have a case of accusing him of slander for that?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Those comments by Ijaz Butt wrt English players taking bribes are absolutely outrageous.

Would the England team have a case of accusing him of slander for that?
Yep. There might be a difficult issue about whether he's identified any particular individuals sufficiently clearly for them to be able to sue. Arguably he's pointed the finger at the entire England batting line-up. I don't think (but I'm not 100% sure) that the team couldn't sue as a team - particular individuals would need to sue in their own names.

Subject to that they've clearly been defamed, and under English law it's then for him to prove the truth of the allegations he's made.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Yep. There might be a difficult issue about whether he's identified any particular individuals sufficiently clearly for them to be able to sue. Arguably he's pointed the finger at the entire England batting line-up. I don't think (but I'm not 100% sure) that the team couldn't sue as a team - particular individuals would need to sue in their own names.

Subject to that they've clearly been defamed, and under English law it's then for him to prove the truth of the allegations he's made.
He said that he heard those things in bookie circles. Can he still be sued?

Ijaz Butt should be interrogated on how he knows about what happens in the bookie circles.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the tour should be over now. Can't quite believe it's got to this because I was really looking forward to this series, but the sooner it's over the better.

jeevan

International 12th Man
One has to realize that the real audience for these ridiculous actions from the PCB might not the international cricket community or even the folks within Pakistan serious about cricket. Butt's well being depends on an different set of folks, perhaps the elites running Pakistan - with whom such actions may work quite well and who may have employed such tactics themselves in different fields.

Seen in that light, this isn't that inexplicable a step to take.Rather brilliant act of survival, actually - Butt probably stopped his pay-masters from making him a new orifice.

Last edited:

jeevan

International 12th Man

If ECB or the English team sues Butt in UK courts, expect a similar lawsuit filed against someone, any one, to be filed in Pakistan. Responding to this aggressively is a no-win situation that will get bogged down very quickly in trans-national legal back & forth.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
If ECB or the English team sues Butt in UK courts, expect a similar lawsuit filed against someone, any one, to be filed in Pakistan. Responding to this aggressively is a no-win situation that will get bogged down very quickly in trans-national legal back & forth.
But Butt has no evidence whatsoever that English players were involved, but he still implicated them in it anyway. You shouldn't be allowed to say things like that and just get away with it.