• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

nick-o

State 12th Man
I'm having problems figuring out how this works in practice.

If I'm a middleman offering spot fixing, I can deliver if I have a bowler in my pocket and he's instructed to bowl a certain kind of ball at a certain stage in his spell. That's quite easy. But how does that work when 'my' team is batting?

I could deliver on a promise of a wicket falling in the first over, say, or even on the xth ball of the first over -- I'd only need one or two players in my pocket. But if i was saying "a wicket will fall on the xth ball of the 15th over" I will have no way of knowing in advance who will be batting at that time, so I need a lot of players in my pocket.

Likewise, I could deliver on the promise of a maiden in the first or second over with one or two players in my pocket. But, for example, if I was saying "the 10th, or the 30th, over will be a maiden" I can't deliver unless I have practically the entire team in my pocket.

So that only leaves me with something like "batsman X won't get off the mark until he has faced 10 balls" -- then I'd only need bastman X to be in my pocket.

So when the ICC talks about "certain scoring patterns during the game" what else can they be describing?

Sir Alex

Banned
Saw this reported on SSN this morning. Gone way beyond a joke now. I really struggle to believe anyone would be so ****witted to attempt to fix a game just after three teammates had been suspended, but when the ICC Chief Exec is saying the information received before the game about the scoring patterns was "Broadly correct" one must assume substance of some level.

There seems to be a cancer in Pakistan cricket and radical surgery is needed for the good of the sport now.
:detective:

:ph34r:

Flem274*

123/5
Think Aamer should be given the chuck tbh. Have no idea what's going on anymore, but no ones missing him bar the poor Pakistan fans. Really want them to get another Imran or something to boost their spirits.

All the more reason to ban this little ****. Have Adam Milne to be the new teen tyro anyway.(y)

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ICC have apparently confirmed, after the ECB petitioned them for assurance, that no members of the England team or management staff have been implicated in the alleged 3rd ODI misdeeds. Hmm.
If any of it is true then I say bull**** that no England players are involved

Knee-cappers are looking for more "guarantees" than a bunch of Pakistanis will try to deliver when millions of dollars are at stake

Last edited by a moderator:

Cruxdude

International Debutant
No way ever that any England players will have been involved. I absolutely refuse to believe it.
While I don't think any English player would be involved in this issue, these were the kind of statements that were initially made when the Hansie Cronje issue broke out.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Pakistan cricket is one big massive facepalm. There is literally no one who is free of corruption/cheating/bad attitude and certainly not enough people to make a good standard international team.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
this is ridiculous - suddenly cheap tabloids hold weight with the ICC?

whats the smear this time - that pakistan can control the rate of scoring in a match - come on, why did they not do this when they were losing in the first two odi's i wonder?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

whats the smear this time - that pakistan can control the rate of scoring in a match - come on, why did they not do this when they were losing in the first two odi's i wonder?
If they've managed to predict 'broadly' some of the trends of the game, in advance, with communications with the ICC, what you think of The Sun is wholly irrelevant. Their reliability or otherwise doesn't come into it because the predicted stuff happening is the proof.

PhoenixFire

International Coach

Like Scaly said, if there is proof that the evidence of the scoring rate was given before the match, I don't see what newspaper (and believe me, I really don't like The Sun) has to do with anything, it's wholly irelevant.

It's not like the Pakistani cricket team has much credibility left anyway....

Lostman

State Captain
TBH, is it really hard to predict Pakistan scoring patterns?

Generally a Pakistan ODI innings unfold like this;
1-5 overs; openers edged out to keeper.
6-30 overs; middle order plays test cricket, includes at least 2 run outs.
31-50 overs; brainless slogging by the ball muncher, followed by 3 more run outs.

Pakistan's bowlers spot fixing I believe, but their batsmen?
Most of these guys cant get bat to ball let alone control scoring rates.
They all are really really crap, on top of that they are playing against a very good bowling attack.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
TBH, is it really hard to predict Pakistan scoring patterns?

Generally a Pakistan ODI innings unfold like this;
1-5 overs; openers edged out to keeper.
6-30 overs; middle order plays test cricket, includes at least 2 run outs.
31-50 overs; brainless slogging by the ball muncher, followed by 3 more run outs.

Pakistan's bowlers spot fixing I believe, but their batsmen?
Most of these guys cant get bat to ball let alone control scoring rates.
They all are really really crap, on top of that they are playing against a very good bowling attack.
:laugh: