Cricket Player Manager
Page 50 of 138 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: ***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    It is just too unthinkable that they got this guy Majid to say all this AFTER events happened and set himself up to be prosecuted... As the saying goes, when you hear the hoofs beat, think of horses, not some avatar animals..
    Perhaps playing Devil's Advocate here but, Let's not get to conclusions now.

The betting syndicate is very powerful and is easily capable of getting Majid to make the tape to get the players in trouble.
    They could threaten him or pay him to make this video.
    It's the players who have their career's to lose,not him. Don't think if nobody incurred a straight loss on this ,he can be charged with anything serious at all.

Let the police first establish the date of the video through forensics and other stuff before coming to conclusions either way.
    Prima facie it may seem evidence but it is not the case many times once examined thoroughly.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    Perhaps playing Devil's Advocate here but, Let's not get to conclusions now.

The betting syndicate is very powerful and is easily capable of getting Majid to make the tape to get the players in trouble.
    They could threaten him or pay him to make this video.
    It's the players who have their career's to lose,not him. Don't think if nobody incurred a straight loss on this ,he can be charged with anything serious at all.

Let the police first establish the date of the video through forensics and other stuff before coming to conclusions either way.
    Prima facie it may seem evidence but it is not the case many times once examined thoroughly.
    Why would they want to expose one of themselves again? It is one thing playing DA but quite another to clutch at non-existent straws.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

One thing that I really don't agree with is that there's a difference between match fixing and spot fixing. Said this back in 2007:
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    But generally, you don't "fix" matches.

The betting that goes on in for player x to bowl two wides in his 4th over. They pay off said player to do so, and collect the huge odds for that happening. That way you only have to pay off one player, rather than a whole side in determining how a whole fixture pans out.
    It's going to be the best and easiest way for bookies, and it needs to be regarded as the same.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    Why would they want to expose one of themselves again? It is one thing playing DA but quite another to clutch at non-existent straws.

I don't think Cevno is clutching at straws whether existent or non-existent. As far as I can see all he is doing is making a similar point to the one I have being making that all is not always what it seems. The evidence against Butt, Asif and Amir certainly seems compelling but we have only seen one side of the story.

I have already mentioned the Grobbelaar case - he was caught in just this sort of sting and claimed at his trial he had been gathering evidence to pass to the police - that struck me then, and indeed still does, as a very desperate grab at a very puny piece of straw yet two separate juries, who heard all the evidence, rather than just reading the headlines, couldn't reach a verdict.

It's just the same here - we simply can't know enough to pass a final judgment at this stage and while everyone has their opinions, and mine is, as with Grobbelaar, that I don't see how they're going to get out of it, I'm keeping an open mind.

After all it might just be an elaborate hoax between Majeed and the NOTW reporter who are about to come out and say "Ha ha fooled you all" and go away and pocket a publishers advance of several million for the book and film rights to the media frenzy that their little charade has brought about - improbable? absolutely, but possible nonetheless.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    Bloomin' heck, the ICC actually did something.
    Cometh the leader cometh the change

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    I wonder what would have happened if Amir took wickets off his final two deliveries of his first over and the ball he was meant to bowl a no ball on was actually his hat trick delivery.

Hatty or the moolah?
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Would take the hatty.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    I wonder what would have happened if Amir took wickets off his final two deliveries of his first over and the ball he was meant to bowl a no ball on was actually his hat trick delivery.

Hatty or the moolah?
    Hatty...

Because you'd heard the conversation between the bookie and the NOTW guy that the final bet may be off because of same reasons, that Pak bowlers were doing too well, and they wouldn't turn the match for the gain...

I don't think they would've assented to changing the outcome..

U19 12th Man
    Would have been the no ball. No argument.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Hatty...

Because you'd heard the conversation between the bookie and the NOTW guy that the final bet may be off because of same reasons, that Pak bowlers were doing too well, and they wouldn't turn the match for the gain...

I don't think they would've assented to changing the outcome..
    Nah, by deliberately bowling no balls you are prepare to influence the outcome of the game
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Yeah, exactly. Can't believe people areacting like spot fixing is somehow morally superior to match fixing. They are one and the same.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Yeah, exactly. Can't believe people areacting like spot fixing is somehow morally superior to match fixing. They are one and the same.
    Disagree, both despicable both have no place in the game but match fixing is certainly the worse crime.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post

After all it might just be an elaborate hoax between Majeed and the NOTW reporter who are about to come out and say "Ha ha fooled you all" and go away and pocket a publishers advance of several million for the book and film rights to the media frenzy that their little charade has brought about - improbable? absolutely, but possible nonetheless.
    following which they would get sued to bankruptcy

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Disagree, both despicable both have no place in the game but match fixing is certainly the worse crime.
    Why so?

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    I don't think Cevno is clutching at straws whether existent or non-existent. As far as I can see all he is doing is making a similar point to the one I have being making that all is not always what it seems. The evidence against Butt, Asif and Amir certainly seems compelling but we have only seen one side of the story.

I have already mentioned the Grobbelaar case - he was caught in just this sort of sting and claimed at his trial he had been gathering evidence to pass to the police - that struck me then, and indeed still does, as a very desperate grab at a very puny piece of straw yet two separate juries, who heard all the evidence, rather than just reading the headlines, couldn't reach a verdict.

It's just the same here - we simply can't know enough to pass a final judgment at this stage and while everyone has their opinions, and mine is, as with Grobbelaar, that I don't see how they're going to get out of it, I'm keeping an open mind.

Implausible though the above might seem, Fred is of course 100% correct. You never know the whole story till the trial (if any) begins, and not always then since reporting of legal cases is generally so poor.

Page 50 of 138 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread Information