• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmmm, look at Salman Butt's eyes. Am I being too skeptical or is there something unusual.

From my limited experience of playing cricket, when I was fielding I usually looked at the batsman after the ball is released...specially if I was not fiellding in the boundary...
Interesting.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmmm, look at Salman Butt's eyes. Am I being too skeptical or is there something unusual.

From my limited experience of playing cricket, when I was fielding I usually looked at the batsman after the ball is released...specially if I was not fiellding in the boundary...
Clutching at straws there I reckon. About the only place where I look solely at the batsman is slips, gulley, point and under the helmet. At mid off you can easily watch it from the hand imo.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 38 (21 members and 17 guests)
weldone*, akilana, Debris, fredfertang, Fusion, GeraintIsMyHero, Irish_Opener, Jamee999, Kyle, Pizzorno, silentstriker, SpaceMonkey, turnstyle, WalkingOnAWire, zaremba

Don't remember when I saw 21 members together in the same thread...not at this hour, surely...

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
The only explanation would be if this was filmed after the no balls and News of the World are just doing it for a story.

Somehow I doubt it since they'd be responsible for millions in damages for libel I'd think?
The NOTW is an absolute disgrace however, I refuse to take everything they say at face value.

Certainly it seems things have been going on, but I want a proper source.

pasag

RTDAS
a) Love it how SS uses this as an opportunity to push his agenda, wac
b) I was just thinking less than 12 hours ago that it's nice that Pak v England was played without any major controversy this time around
c) I'm so sick of Pakistani cricket. There's no other team in the entire world in any sport at any level that are as big a joke as these guys. If the whole side was banned from world cricket for a year I wouldn't bat an eye lid...
d) which makes it all the more tragic for their brilliant fans who don't deserve this ****.
e) and finally, you have to really call into question the Sydney Test now. Which makes me sick.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
In a meeting with our investigators puppet-master Majeed:

* BRAGGED that the scam is rife and future games against England this summer are already earmarked for cheating.
* CONFESSED his match-fixing round the world had netted customers MILLIONS.
* REVEALED how he oversees cheating by using no-balls, specifying how many runs will be scored or conceded in certain overs, with signals such as changing gloves to confirm the fix is on.
* ADMITTED he abuses his position as owner of non-league Croydon FC to launder his illicit gains.

At one stage Majeed told us our syndicate could make "absolutely millions, millions" by paying him up to £450,000 a time for info on matches, then placing bets on the fixedoutcome. And he tried to excuse the players' shameful behaviour, claiming: "These poor boys need to. They're paid peanuts." Majeed said he had even opened Swiss bank accounts for them to hide their ill-gotten gains. We launched our investigation two weeks ago after a tip-off. The Pakistan side has long been dogged by match- fixing allegations. Only today has the full shocking extent been laid bare.
Also claims in the interview that other parts of the match are also fixed. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't.

WorcsRoyal

School Boy/Girl Captain
Clutching at straws there I reckon. About the only place where I look solely at the batsman is slips, gulley, point and under the helmet. At mid off you can easily watch it from the hand imo.

agree with this. how are captain's meant to look when watching their bowler run in?!

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
a) Love it how SS uses this as an opportunity to push his agenda, wac
b) I was just thinking less than 12 hours ago that it's nice that Pak v England was played without any major controversy this time around
c) I'm so sick of Pakistani cricket. There's no other team in the entire world in any sport at any level that are as big a joke as these guys. If the whole side was banned from world cricket for a year I wouldn't bat an eye lid.
d) Which makes it all the more tragic for their brilliant fans who don't deserve this ****.
e) and finally, you have to really call into question the Sydney Test now. Which makes me sick.
TBF we all did at the time. It's implicated, too.

'We made £830k when Pakistan collapsed in the Aussie match'. | News Of The World

pskov

International 12th Man
The NOTW is an absolute disgrace however, I refuse to take everything they say at face value.

Certainly it seems things have been going on, but I want a proper source.
The NOTW has a reputation for being part of the gutter press because of the tactics they use and the topics they pry into (generally have no respect for celebrity privacy etc.) not because they fabricate stories. Their investigative journalism is generally very good at digging up dirt where there is dirt to be dug see Fergie, John Terry's dad, John Higgins etc.

fredfertang

The NOTW has a reputation for being part of the gutter press because of the tactics they use and the topics they pry into (generally have no respect for celebrity privacy etc.) not because they fabricate stories. Their investigative journalism is generally very good at digging up dirt where there is dirt to be dug see Fergie, John Terry's dad, John Higgins etc.
The NOTW are not strangers to libel actions by any means

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Your science dominance agenda. Enough is enough I say.
Err....

huh?

From that article:

Majeed: "Yeah, it all comes through me. We don't do results that often. The last one we did was against Sri Lanka in the Asia Cup which was about two months ago. And you get a script as well."

Explaining the scam he said: "Let me tell you the last test we did. It was the Second Test against Australia in Sydney. Australia had two more wickets left. They had a lead of ten runs, yeah. And Pakistan had all their wickets remaining.

"The odds for Pakistan to lose that match, for Australia to win that match, were I think 40-1. We let them get up to 150 then everyone lost their wickets. That one we made 1.3. But that's what I mean, you can get up to a million. Tests is where the biggest money is because those situations arise."

Majeed also bragged of knowing one of the world's top tennis players and claimed he had arranged for Salman Butt to be in pictures with pop stars and a world famous US rapper. It was during the Bombay Brasserie meeting that he revealed the Oval test being played at the time against England was fixed.

He said: "England, there's brackets. Like tomorrow (August 19) there is no bracket because the Indian market is not open. The third day (August 20) there's brackets.

"I give out the information the night before or morning. What's going to happen at the end of the fourth day. But we now are not going to do any results for the next two games because we want Salman Butt to be captain long term." Then he outlined the prices bookies pay him for his information.

He shamlessly claimed: "I used to go out on the pitch to give the players their drinks. Whenever we couldn't get a wicket I'd have a lump of Vaseline on my hand. Shake their hand. They'd put it on one side of the ball and the ball would suddenly start in-swinging."

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
What a mess of a situation. Eagerly awaiting the official police report or a statement from the PCB or ICC.

If any of the above is true, and multiple players are involved I would expect nothing less than Pakistan to be given a ban from international cricket. Many felt that this was coming considering the amount of shady characters in and around the Pakistan team. How Asif is still allowed to play international cricket is astounding.

The people of Pakistan have enough issues as it is without their revered side making a mockery of the sport.

HeathDavisSpeed

****'s sake. I love watching these Pakistanis bowl. Asif and Aamir may not be quite as brutally destructive as Waqar & Wasim, but they sure make the ball talk.

As low as the NOTW is, there is no way this could be a deliberate fake, they'd be out of business if found out. Sigh.