• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
The part that I found interesting was where he talks about it being offensive to refuse a "gift". It creates a situation where there is a moral ambiguity about accepting a bribe that isn't there in other cultures.
true, its hard to explain

people say amir could have said no and he is an adult etc etc - but actually you have to realise that it would have been incredibly difficult for him to defy his seniors in such a way, although its hard to prove and he would never cite it as a mitigating factor himself it is to my mind THE biggest mitigating factor for him, he would have been cut to size straight away - by lesser players as well

Last edited:

Cruxdude

International Debutant
The part that I found interesting was where he talks about it being offensive to refuse a "gift". It creates a situation where there is a moral ambiguity about accepting a bribe that isn't there in other cultures.
All this stuff about gifts not to be refused is all bull****. The thing about mafia may be true, who knows. These players are not poor innocent kids to not want to offend people by refusing gifts.

pasag

RTDAS
On some level, I like the reaction in Pakistan. I want the players to be scared that should they ever do something like this, this is what they'll have to deal with. It's no walk in the park and the risks will be huge.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
On some level, I like the reaction in Pakistan. I want the players to be scared that should they ever do something like this, this is what they'll have to deal with. It's no walk in the park and the risks will be huge.
Yeah damn straight. While I obviously don't condemn any threats from the mafia or gambling associated links, its good to see outrage in the Pakistani public.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Yeah damn straight. While I obviously don't condemn any threats from the mafia or gambling associated links, its good to see outrage in the Pakistani public.
They named donkeys after them and then egged and tomatoed them ...poor donkeys...don't deserve it.

slowfinger

International Debutant
They named donkeys after them and then egged and tomatoed them ...poor donkeys...don't deserve it.
Yeah saw that on ARY... Tobah Tobah... I reckon some maulvi is gonna blow them up faster than Benazir Bhutto tbh... No joke they are in serious trouble here... Proper, deserved serious trouble.And now someone expect to get away wth this crap... Hah-good luck- Pakistan is taking a turn for teh best here.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Why would you ever plead guilty when you know you can set your watch by the powers-that-be, national and international, going to water, deciding its all too hard, and relenting.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Why would you ever plead guilty when you know you can set your watch by the powers-that-be, national and international, going to water, deciding its all too hard, and relenting.
I though at least one might, to try for a more lenient sentence.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The article does say they only had two weeks (ending tomorrow) to respond to the charges, I think this is more a case of them having to reply timeously & not wanting to queer any potential leverage they may get from gulity or partially guilty pleas, rather than actual protestations of innocence.

If any of them were to admit guilt up front I imagine their bargaining position would be weakened.