• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But it sounds as though this alleged attempted bribe occurred after Hameed said these things. How does that change the authenticity of his comments?

Last edited:

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
But it sounds as though this alleged attempted bribe occurred after Hameed said these things. How does that change the authenticity of his comments?
no one knows for sure, we have only seen snippets of the whole dialogue between the undercover NOTW reporters and the pak team - this thread could be never ending if you want to speculate

i am worried at how undercover reporters seem to have access to the pak team with such ease, the board really need to take a pasting here, yes the players are likely to be at fault but whats the board been doing?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Chequebook journalism is not 'bribery', nor is it interfering with a witness. They weren't asking him to say anything that he hadn't been happy to say in the pub to them. You could argue that they were seeking to blackmail him by mentioning they had the video - I'd argue, as would they if ever called to defend themselves over that, that they were defending themselves from his attack on their credibility (when he denied ever making the comments he clearly did make).

It's not against the law to be smarter than someone, or to use that advantage to obtain information that is in the public interest. It is not against the law to pretend to be a potential sponsor, so long as you don't obtain financial advantage FROM the person you represent yourself as such to. It's not against the law to record a conversation you yourself are a party to.

NOTW were cunning and a bit sneaky. As someone observed earlier, being upfront about it was hardy likely to obtain an honest response, was it.

People get very haughty and look down their nose at what papers like NOTW do. The freedom of democracies like the UK would be much weaker if there wasn't an activist press who were protected by law in vigorously seeking to expose instances of people acting in a way contrary to the public interest. As a hypothetical, do people imagine that the levels of corruption that several members here from Pakistan complain about in their country would occur if there was a press that was empowered by legal protection to so vigorously expose it when they found it?

weed wizard

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
match fixing

Pcb and pakistan high commision are really supporting there players.
There is really something fishy around here.
How can yasser hameed deny any of his statement after meeting pcb.
Though he wasnt aware of taping his statement.
Its ridiculous.
All corrupt should b banned.
Why do only pak players are suspects of fixing.?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
They weren't asking him to say anything that he hadn't been happy to say in the pub to them.
Don't know about that. They asked him for a statement against the three players, presumably to say that he knew (before everyone else did) that they had been involved in fixing or whatever. In the video all he does is regurgitate the newspaper reports, it doesn't actually shed any new light on the allegations. Don't think they would offer to pay him to say something they already have him saying. As it happens he refused so they just spun the contents of the video. If you compare the statements he is alleged to have made and what he says on the video there are differences.

pasag

RTDAS
Chequebook journalism is not 'bribery', nor is it interfering with a witness. They weren't asking him to say anything that he hadn't been happy to say in the pub to them. You could argue that they were seeking to blackmail him by mentioning they had the video - I'd argue, as would they if ever called to defend themselves over that, that they were defending themselves from his attack on their credibility (when he denied ever making the comments he clearly did make).

It's not against the law to be smarter than someone, or to use that advantage to obtain information that is in the public interest. It is not against the law to pretend to be a potential sponsor, so long as you don't obtain financial advantage FROM the person you represent yourself as such to. It's not against the law to record a conversation you yourself are a party to.

NOTW were cunning and a bit sneaky. As someone observed earlier, being upfront about it was hardy likely to obtain an honest response, was it.

People get very haughty and look down their nose at what papers like NOTW do. The freedom of democracies like the UK would be much weaker if there wasn't an activist press who were protected by law in vigorously seeking to expose instances of people acting in a way contrary to the public interest. As a hypothetical, do people imagine that the levels of corruption that several members here from Pakistan complain about in their country would occur if there was a press that was empowered by legal protection to so vigorously expose it when they found it?
The problem is, and I'm no expert in journalism ethics so Flem or Volty can correct me, but this guy wasn't uncovering corruption and they weren't exposing anything aside from a cricketer's opinion.

I mean, look at all the pain and trouble the reporter YH through with all his lies and false promises, and for what?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, journalism ethics. Just below 'mad scientist ethics' on the oxymoron scale.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
also the PCB need to be overtaken by the ICC or something, how is it that the players are not being protected and watched over - how useless can you get?

and where is ijaz butt hiding?
Not a bad idea actually. I may actually support this....ICC would handle Pak cricket much better then PCB.

Flem274*

123/5
The problem is, and I'm no expert in journalism ethics so Flem or Volty can correct me, but this guy wasn't uncovering corruption and they weren't exposing anything aside from a cricketer's opinion.

I mean, look at all the pain and trouble the reporter YH through with all his lies and false promises, and for what?
Volty's best for this because he's the qualified reporter, I've swapped degrees and I dozed through ethics anyway, but ethics are a huge gray area. There is the underhand argument, but then there's the serving the best interests of society.

It can be argued here that YH's opinion adds to the already substantial evidence against the accused.

Theoretically a lot ethics in journalism is dependent on your own morals along with the laws, but in practice I'm guessing (having only done practical investigative journalism for uni) it's all about what you're told to do by your boss.

Faisal1985

Think this is pretty much the definition of 'damning with faint praise'.
Damning PCB's efforts with faint praise...? Yes....ICC, no...in this comparison i think its pretty obvious who would do a better job...or whoever is the lesser evil.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Damning PCB's efforts with faint praise...? Yes....ICC, no...in this comparison i think its pretty obvious who would do a better job...or whoever is the lesser evil.
No, you've misunderstood the phrase. To damn someone with faint praise is to offer them praise for an achievement so minor that it is practically an insult. In this case I am suggesting that you are damning the ICC with faint praise by lauding them for being better than the PCB (not a particularly high threshold).

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
You're welcome, I suppose. (Unless you were being insincere, in which case go **** yourself.)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
lol woah. That was the funniest disclaimer in brackets I've ever read.

Anyway NOTW acted like pricks. But it was legal, and it wasn't unethical really. If they planted a camera in YH's house that's a different matter.

Faisal1985

No, you've misunderstood the phrase. To damn someone with faint praise is to offer them praise for an achievement so minor that it is practically an insult. In this case I am suggesting that you are damning the ICC with faint praise by lauding them for being better than the PCB (not a particularly high threshold).
i c......i didn't mean it in that sense, ICC would do a much much better job to say the least. :)

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
lol woah. That was the funniest disclaimer in brackets I've ever read.

Anyway NOTW acted like pricks. But it was legal, and it wasn't unethical really. If they planted a camera in YH's house that's a different matter.
I agree with both of the above comments.