• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

Sir Alex

Banned
His honesty in the video could certainly be debated in court, and in the end the judge or the jury would have to make a judgement on whether they thought he was telling the truth, as he knew it, or not. I think what he'd get stuck on is any kind of motive for him to have made up these claims as lies, compared to the obvious motive he would have for lying by saying the claims weren't true.

In vino veritas. When drunk and trying to impress someone, people more often tend to tell more of the truth, rather than less, or if they lie, tend to be terribly bad at it.
I think he can easily get away with a contradictory statement in court under the oath. In that case, the video would be reduced to insignificant evidence imho. Perhaps our lawyer members can provide better light into This, and am open to being corrected.

He has said he'd be the captain of any test side, and also has stated he averages 39 both which are wrong, or a tall claim. He can actually use these to downgrade the entire conversation, and NoTW cannot enforce the validity of the same.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think he can easily get away with a contradictory statement in court under the oath. In that case, the video would be reduced to insignificant evidence imho. Perhaps our lawyer members can provide better light into This, and am open to being corrected.

He has said he'd be the captain of any test side, and also has stated he averages 39 both which are wrong, or a tall claim. He can actually use these to downgrade the entire conversation, and NoTW cannot enforce the validity of the same.
Video evidence can be pretty compelling tbh. If someone says X under oath and you show video demonstrating Y, it's not a good look.

Top_Cat

Video evidence can be pretty compelling tbh. If someone says X under oath and you show video demonstrating Y, it's not a good look.
Yep and especially in a jury trial, perception is sometimes more powerful than the truth.

Sir Alex

Banned
Yes, but that also depends on what is being shown. Definitely a footage of someone accepting wads of cash will get more mileage than someone claiming so right?

As I said before YH was under no compulsion to say the truth in the video. And certainly nobody can sue him for lying in that, can they? It's just pub talk afaic, and he's entitled to his 10 minutes of tall claims.

Of course I am no way commenting on the other videos, because for me, if the dates are proven to be correct, they're pretty much damning.

Burgey

Yep and especially in a jury trial, perception is sometimes more powerful than the truth.
Yeah, though even in a civil trial it can work well.

I had a bloke who said he was rat-arsed, couldn't work, couldn't lift anything, wore a neck brace to all the meetings and to court.

They had film of the **** working in a hardware store lifting 3 metre long pieces of 4 x 2 above his head.

He ran out of court at the next break. As he went past me he said "Oh, Mr Burge, it's me". I said "I know it is, idiot".

As I walked back to chambers after we adjourned it, the neck collar was sitting on the steps of the building where he'd thrown it away, a poignant reminder of my First Law of Human Beings:

"When push comes to shove, most people are pricks".

Burgey

Yes, but that also depends on what is being shown. Definitely a footage of someone accepting wads of cash will get more mileage than someone claiming so right?

As I said before YH was under no compulsion to say the truth in the video. And certainly nobody can sue him for lying in that, can they? It's just pub talk afaic, and he's entitled to his 10 minutes of tall claims.

Of course I am no way commenting on the other videos, because for me, if the dates are proven to be correct, they're pretty much damning.
He's under no complusion to say anything on the video. And he's entitled to recant on it.

But if he does you get the obvious, don't you?

- Are you lying now, or were you lying then?
- Is it unusual for you to just lie to people about things like this?
- How can we know you're telling the truth now?

and of course the immortal

- Sir, are you just making this up as you go along?

His evidence, if he does that, could in no way be said to be reliable.

Then again, maybe that's just what he and his team mates want.

Bloody hell I'd want the fee up front if I was representing them. TBH they've probably got plenty anyway, it's just none of it was legally obtained :ph34r:

outbreak

First Class Debutant
Sorry why are they crooks? From what i've gathered he was approached by an undercover journalist and spilled his guts? Isn't this how alot of journalism works? Shouldn't he have been smarter in the midst of everything going on and kept his mouth shut like i'm sure the sides been told? There's also an article floating around with Afridi commenting on it and saying Hameed has the mind of a 15 year old and is an idiot. Isn't it the Pakistanis involved in the match fixing that are crooks and it's good that their being exposed? That's how i'm guessing most cricket fans would feel....

Last edited:

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
The Hameed video is much ado about nothing really. Doesn't offer any information except to say that he was offered money, and he doesn't mention any specific details. Seems reasonably likely he would have said that to bolster his claim of being dropped due to his integrity. Doesn't really seem like he was any more than tangentially aware of what was going on.

Sir Alex

Banned
He's under no complusion to say anything on the video. And he's entitled to recant on it.

But if he does you get the obvious, don't you?

- Are you lying now, or were you lying then?
- Is it unusual for you to just lie to people about things like this?
- How can we know you're telling the truth now?

and of course the immortal

- Sir, are you just making this up as you go along?

His evidence, if he does that, could in no way be said to be reliable.

Then again, maybe that's just what he and his team mates want.

Bloody hell I'd want the fee up front if I was representing them. TBH they've probably got plenty anyway, it's just none of it was legally obtained :ph34r:
Because he's now speaking under the oath? And the other instance was one where most humans won't hesitate to add some color to their statements?
Nah, I think YH can't be brought to book on this evidence. He may well have claimed he has been to the moon, and nailed Madonna too.

Burgey

Because he's now speaking under the oath? And the other instance was one where most humans won't hesitate to add some color to their statements?
Nah, I think YH can't be brought to book on this evidence. He may well have claimed he has been to the moon, and nailed Madonna too.
OK mate, well you asked for the opinion of the impact of video evidence from someone who's worked with it in court.

You got it, didn't like it, so now you're trashing it.

Suit yourself. I don't give a flying ****.

Sir Alex

Banned
OK mate, well you asked for the opinion of the impact of video evidence from someone who's worked with it in court.

Was nothing against you. Chill. Thanks for the opinion anyways.

Sir Alex

Banned
It seems that Abid had a hidden
camera which I was totally
unaware of. I then left the hotel
with my friend and came back to
where I was staying. Two days
later Abid then called me and
offered me £25,000 to give a
statement against the 3 current
players under investigation,
which I immediately refused and
put the phone down. I neither
called nor answered any calls
from Abid after this
conversation. When News of the
World released my conversation,
which Abid Khan recorded
without me knowing about it, I
was contacted by the media in
Pakistan to confirm if I gave the
statement to the NOTW, I denied
categorically as explained above
that this was not the case.
Subsequently, I received a text
message from Abid Khan from
his number 0** **** ***6, which I
found to be intimidating as
reflected in his message
reproduced below:
"Pls call me. Incidentally you are
in video drinking wine and saying
all the quotes attributed to you.
Denying it is just stupid as we will
be releasing the video to tv.
Better that you stand up and
speak the
truth!!!!."

From YH's statement.

Wow, just give him the pulitzer. What an asshole of a reporter. Pathetic.

Spudsy2061

U19 Cricketer

Chill money, Chill Chill CHILL!!!

You got a good point though as I don't think the po pos got enough to convict the trio of intent to defraud bookmakers but I do think the ICC have enough to convict them of corruption.

About the above post. Yeah that's ****** journalism at it's best.

Top_Cat

I thought lawyers usually charged for advice? Going soft, tbh.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
It seems that Abid had a hidden
camera which I was totally
unaware of. I then left the hotel
with my friend and came back to
where I was staying. Two days
later Abid then called me and
offered me £25,000 to give a
statement against the 3 current
players under investigation,
which I immediately refused and
put the phone down. I neither
called nor answered any calls
from Abid after this
conversation. When News of the
World released my conversation,
which Abid Khan recorded
without me knowing about it, I
was contacted by the media in
Pakistan to confirm if I gave the
statement to the NOTW, I denied
categorically as explained above
that this was not the case.
Subsequently, I received a text
message from Abid Khan from
his number 0** **** ***6, which I
found to be intimidating as
reflected in his message
reproduced below:
"Pls call me. Incidentally you are
in video drinking wine and saying
all the quotes attributed to you.
Denying it is just stupid as we will
be releasing the video to tv.
Better that you stand up and
speak the
truth!!!!."

From YH's statement.

Wow, just give him the pulitzer. What an asshole of a reporter. Pathetic.
Thank you for saying that in plain words...it was a very cheap shot by NOTW.