• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Is it illegal to take money to fix a game and then not do it? :p You're hardly going to get sued for fraud.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
hameed was an interesting choice by the NOTW, no actually a smart choice

they would have guessed that having not been in the pak team for years and not part of the general pakistan players group that he would make a good target since he probably would have been bitter

i am sure that anyone who was willing to give an ear would have been told similar things

Matt79

Global Moderator
hameed was an interesting choice by the NOTW, no actually a smart choice

they would have guessed that having not been in the pak team for years and not part of the general pakistan players group that he would make a good target since he probably would have been bitter

i am sure that anyone who was willing to give an ear would have been told similar things
They might have approached a number of players, and he was the weak link who was happy to talk with their man. What they were doing in a sense as investigative reporters was not that different from what the fixers do - approach players and see whether any of them are lacking in judgement enough to trust them when they shouldn't. Hameed might have been the only one who didn't tell them to get stuffed, either straight off the bat, or as soon as the conversation went near fixing.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Pretty sure whatever they say won't be treated as strong evidence in court, as the player can simply say he lied, as he was under no need to speak the truth.
His honesty in the video could certainly be debated in court, and in the end the judge or the jury would have to make a judgement on whether they thought he was telling the truth, as he knew it, or not. I think what he'd get stuck on is any kind of motive for him to have made up these claims as lies, compared to the obvious motive he would have for lying by saying the claims weren't true.

He could simply say he was drunk as he could possibly have been.
In vino veritas. When drunk and trying to impress someone, people more often tend to tell more of the truth, rather than less, or if they lie, tend to be terribly bad at it.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
They might have approached a number of players, and he was the weak link who was happy to talk with their man. What they were doing in a sense as investigative reporters was not that different from what the fixers do - approach players and see whether any of them are lacking in judgement enough to trust them when they shouldn't. Hameed might have been the only one who didn't tell them to get stuffed, either straight off the bat, or as soon as the conversation went near fixing.
maybe, perhaps, possibly - all hypotheticals, NOTW are indeed entitled to get away with alot under the guise of investigative journalism, yet they seem to be immune from any questioning themselves...

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's only because no one cares about the NOTW's moral righteousness (or lack of). Whether there was anything underhand or unfair about their methods in obtaining this video strikes me as something incredibly boring to discuss when the content of the videos has such heavy consequences for a sport that I do care about.

Spark

Global Moderator
"I will slap any bookie who will come near me, big time."

That is so so so very very Harbhajan Singh.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Since when has Yasir Hameed been considered one of the world's finest batsmen? You know I have never him up there with the likes of Kallis, Tendulkar, Clarke, Chanderpaul, Ponting, Sehwag, Sangakkara, Jayawardene etc. at any stage of his time playing international cricket.

Don't think his family rates him that high.
Nah, if you're playing Test cricket, you're definitely one of the worlds finest batsmen IMO. We can be far too exclusive at CW sometimes.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting observation from Ronnie Irani on Talksport - not, I stress, anything more than an observation of why these things happen, but apparently before the start of the First Test of the last Ashes series you could get 500-1 on the first ball of the series being a wide

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting observation from Ronnie Irani on Talksport - not, I stress, anything more than an observation of why these things happen, but apparently before the start of the First Test of the last Ashes series you could get 500-1 on the first ball of the series being a wide
If only Harmy had gone on to bowl like Amir for the rest of the series!

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
I think if Harmy c.Nov 2006 had tried to bowl a wide, he'd have cleaned Hayden up.