• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
The NOTWs video seems fair enough to me, a good scoop. Dunno about anywhere else, but if you sit in a bar talking openly like that, you shouldn't be surprised to see it in the paper.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The NOTWs video seems fair enough to me, a good scoop. Dunno about anywhere else, but if you sit in a bar talking openly like that, you shouldn't be surprised to see it in the paper.
Exactly.

Reporters are under no obligation to inform people that they're on the record - you really should assume you are if you aren't told otherwise. It was Yasir Hameed's responsibility to request that their conversation be off the record. If he didn't do that, it's fair game.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm struggling to get the website open, server overload. Probably people wanting to read the Rooney scoop.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Exactly.

Reporters are under no obligation to inform people that they're on the record - you really should assume you are if you aren't told otherwise. It was Yasir Hameed's responsibility to request that their conversation be off the record. If he didn't do that, it's fair game.
Yup. Agree witht this. It's life I'm afraid, if you're stupid enough to make comments like he did, then it's perfectly reasonably for the NOTW to publish them.

I don't like the NOTW, but I can't deny that they've done an absolutely brilliant job on this whole deal.

pakster

U19 12th Man
At least Salman Butt has an excuse for not performing - he was matchfixing. What defence does Yasir Hameed have for being so rubbish?

--

The video shows that yassir hameed making grandiose claims about his own integrity; talk of hundreds of thousands of pounds and ferraris suggests that he was probably exaggerating about the extent of it all. People like to tell a tall tale every once in a while.

Matt79

Global Moderator
It is not. Basically you are saying papparazzis are the best journalists in the world. Hameed maynot be willing to go public because of many reasons, ncluding potential threats on his life and those of his family members. Blatant abuse of confidentiality.
Because it was obviously a trusted confidant to whom he was bitching about his team mates and speculating about how they are corrupt and fix matches? He said this to someone he obviously didn't know that well, and is just finding it awkward to find himself being quoted back now. It's not illegal nor underhanded to record your conversations with someone, even if they don't know. It's not like the NOTW recorded a private conversation of his with a third party - their man was a party to the conversation so anything Hameed said to them, he said to the NOTW.

Someone making a conversation public in those circumstances so only poses a problem for people when they want to say one thing in private behind people's back, and another to their face.

Think Hameed has learnt a valuable lesson about gobbing off with someone he shouldn't be trusting.

More to the point, given the NOTW did nothing illegal to obtain the tape, how it was obtained is completely irrelevant. What is important here is what is the guy actually says. We can debate whether he's credible or not, but we can't dismiss it solely on the basis of how it was obtained. As I said, that's just shooting the messenger.

BTW - what do you think investigative journalism is? It's getting within someone's confidence so they tell you things they're not meant to. All that video-taping it did was provide proof so later on Hameed couldn't simply deny the conversation took place - which indeed he tried to do. The comparison to papparazzi is fair to a degree I suppose - the only distinction I would make is that I think there is a much more legitimate claim of public interest in this case than there is in seeing a celeb on their way to the gym or topless sunbaking. And even if you dismiss this allegation, are you saying that the pictures the papparazzi take are inaccurate simply because you don't like how they went about getting the photo?

Last edited:

jashan83

U19 Captain
The method used by NOTW is absolutely fine..........Afterall the bookie and players would have told nothing if asked straight away. Infact great work done by NOTW.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
It might be good investigative journalism but it seems dirty and underhanded as hell.
You've summed up this aspect of the NOTW's work very well. But when they lift the lid on corruption (which has until now evidently gone more or less unchecked by the powers-that-be) the ends justify the dirty and underhand means.

SeamUp

International Coach
That footage with Yasir Hameed is excellent investigative journalism.

Surely SRL are not involved as well.

SeamUp

International Coach
You've summed up this aspect of the NOTW's work very well. But when they lift the lid on corruption (which has until now evidently gone more or less unchecked by the powers-that-be) the ends justify the dirty and underhand means.
Exactly mate, it must make you wonder how long it would have taken for them to get exposed (even IF they ever got exposed) if it was just down to the ICC.

Supposedly Scotland Yard has been watching them for over a year. They obviously didn't have enough eveidence to do anythng about it yet.

NOTW have done a top job. :thumbup:

Look as a Saffie supporter and a big fan of Hansie Cronje (who was a top man and a devout Christian), it does not make me happy to see things like this in the grand old game but it shows you how greed can trick a man.

Sir Alex

Banned
The method used by NOTW is absolutely fine..........Afterall the bookie and players would have told nothing if asked straight away. Infact great work done by NOTW.
Pretty sure whatever they say won't be treated as strong evidence in court, as the player can simply say he lied, as he was under no need to speak the truth.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Apologies for digging, but I thought that these posts from the start of the "Pakistan in England" thread make interesting reading in light of how events have unfolded...

Also another factor I am worried about is English media crying foul when Aamer stars reversing the ball and grabs 4 wickets.
Surprisingly accurate. Although not the sort of foul play that was predicted.

football season will start soon, so our gutter media will hardly notice there's cricket going on, TBH.
Surprisingly inaccurate.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
The Yasir Hameed video obviously proves nothing in itself. But what strikes me about it is that there doesn't appear to be any sense coming from within the camp that the accused players have been hard done-by, or that they have been acting under threats of violence etc. On the contrary, YH appears happy to accept that fixing (including match fixing) has been going on, and that players have been on the take in a pretty big way. Whether he has first-hand certain knowledge of that or not, it is still an interesting pointer to how others in the team view what has happened.

The other thing about the interview is the crapola reporting of the cricket-related aspects of the story. Trying to present Hameed as an undroppable star player says it all really. But that's tabloid journalism for you: peddling ill-informed hyperbole to ill-informed readers. (Though that doesn't undermine the accuracy of the investigation itself, of course.)