Page 41 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: ***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    They've dropped the ball on that one.
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

First Class Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    And even then it's not like "oh no they're going to face trial for treason", no some random lawyer has tried to initiate treason proceedings against them.
    Publicity stunt surely, hard to take treason allegations seriously in this case

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Bunny View Post
    Publicity stunt surely, hard to take treason allegations seriously in this case
    Nah, they must just be stumped.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Don't know whether people have seen the comments by Haddin and Watson regarding the approaches they received, and reported, during their recent tour in England:
    SEN SportSENtral > Article

Depressing stuff, although at least it sounds like they did the right thing.

Interesting that it was reported to CA and presumably the ICC, and yet not made public. You wonder how many approaches have been reported but not publicised in recent times. I imagine the players themselves are asked not to highlight it by the authorities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

First Class Debutant
    Pretty sure I remember the Watson incident being on cricinfo, though surprisingly it wasnt on the news here

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    At least one and quite possibly both of those incidents were made public.

whooosh I guess. I don't remember them in the news. Probably says more about the media I suppose.

EDIT: You're quite right. I don't know whether the players were named, but the fact an approach was made to two players at that hotel was reported:
    http://www.cricinfo.com/engvaus2009/...ry/420254.html
    Last edited by Matt79; 31-08-2010 at 06:30 AM.

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    The Watson/Haddin/Lee/Johnson incidents highlight that nearly every cricketer is at risk of falling pray to illegal bookmakers. I cannot think of a worse group of cricketers to approach. These are some of Australia's highest paid and highest profile cricketers. Imagine the amount of unheard cases of these approaches occurring?

These stories make me more and more sceptical of the number of games over the past decade that in some way have been influenced by the actions of cricketers under the influence of bookmakers money.

Just shows that the illegal bookies don't give a monkoies about anyone or anything except money.The players can go hang and the sport of cricket is just a way to make money .
    Thanks for reading

We shape our sports and our sports shape us.

I suppose the bookies here had the example of Shane Warne, who was the highest paid and profiled cricketer in Aus at the time, not exactly running a mile when 'John' wanted to make friends. Probably reflects that Watson and Haddin have better judgement than Warne that they rebuffed it, but also probably that the Oz team management have made more efforts in this regard since the Warne/Waugh fiasco.

Highlights that the players do need to have their wits about them. You're in your hotel getting your breakfast at the buffet. A bloke walks up and says how much he enjoyed seeing you in the IPL and maybe he can buy you a drink while you're at the hotel. Would happen every time you went out. Do you tell him to get ****ed on principle, perhaps particularly because he's Indian? Would be a pretty toolish attitude. At least Watson was smart enough to recognise when the guy became unduly persistent and report it.

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    A friend pointed out this thread and quote;

Angry Pakistanis pelt donkeys in protest at fixing - PakPassion - Pakistan Cricket Forum

I had a chuckle at this comment.

Quote from dirk diggler: "its an insult to compare the disgrace cricketers to donkeys...donkeys are hardworking, honest creature"

Poor donkeys, must be sitting there thinking "what did we do to deserve this".

Just for Burgey and the other Pooh fans out there:

vcs
    Poor donkeys.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Sky News reporting 3 related arrests. Not players, and possibly related to money laundering.

Page 41 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast

Thread Information