• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
To make an analogy, if I plagarize or make up only one line in a scientific paper: A) I will never publish again, and B) that paper would be completely removed, and all most past papers would be scrutinized and under suspicion.

I don't see why this Test should be allowed to stand.
The Leather Jacket Test stands, doesn't it?

Regardless, they've just shown the three noballs again on BBC news and they are huge, and unmistakeable - and if this is intentional, which it looks to be, then there is some serious **** going on.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
To make an analogy, if I plagarize or make up only one line in a scientific paper: A) I will never publish again, and B) that paper would be completely removed, and all most past papers would be scrutinized and under suspicion.

I don't see why this Test should be allowed to stand.
But that's not a very close analogy. Setting aside the Test would presumably mean erasing Broad's achievement from the record books because of the opposition's wrongdoing, not his own. It would be all the harsher given that the only evidence yet to emerge is of relatively peripheral issues (ie a couple of no-balls).

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
If you make a million dollars from salary, you're much less likely to accept $100k for match fixing and ruin your future.

If you make $50k from salary...that $100k looks a lot more tempting.
Sure. But that's not about redistribution of wealth as much as just paying them more.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
But that's not a very close analogy. Setting aside the Test would presumably mean erasing Broad's achievement from the record books because of the opposition's wrongdoing, not his own. It would be all the harsher given that the only evidence yet to emerge is of relatively peripheral issues (ie a couple of no-balls).
It doesn't matter. The whole paper would be tainted, including everyone else who worked on it. They could have done good work and 99.99% of paper could be perfect but makes not an iota of difference.

Like it or not, it's highly unlikely that the thing that is found out is the only thing that someone had made up. And even if it is, that's tough **** and your career should be over.

For all we know, there could be another match fix that says someone from the lower order will get a big score. This Test cannot continue.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
TBH I'm just trying to come up with quality sledges for Matt Prior tomorrow.
I bet you can't come up with anything funny.
£10 on Uppercut replying within 5 minutes at odds of 2/1. I'll give you a fiver to make it happen UF

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Well this is ****ing horrible.

I don't think judgements should be passed untill all the information has been released however.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Bit of a rush to judgment here gents - don't forget the rule is innocent until proven guilty
But the News of the World says it's true! Would they lie?? Say it ain't so!!

Sadly, we've all got access to a lot of the primary evidence and so are in a better position to "judge" for ourselves than in many other cases. The weak link is the lack of direct evidence of the true connection between this alleged fixer and the players themselves, but as to that, the accurate prediction of the no-balls, and the blatancy of those no balls, is very damning evidence indeed.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The only explanation would be if this was filmed after the no balls and News of the World are just doing it for a story.

Somehow I doubt it since they'd be responsible for millions in damages for libel I'd think?

akilana

International 12th Man
Last week a no ball created a controversy

this week, three no balls create a controversy

weldone

Hall of Fame Member

ps. i am not responsible for the circle.
Hmmm, look at Salman Butt's eyes. Am I being too skeptical or is there something unusual?

From my limited experience of playing cricket, when I was fielding I usually looked at the batsman after the ball is released...specially if I was not fielding in the boundary...

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
The only explanation would be if this was filmed after the no balls and News of the World are just doing it for a story.

Somehow I doubt it since they'd be responsible for millions in damages for libel I'd think?
Yep that's the only other possibility. But I don't think that even the NOTW would stoop that low. These stings that they operate are pretty well-organised and while their track record for responsible journalism is very poor, they have no record (so far as I know) of blatant dishonesty of that sort in this kind of context.

If the newspaper were lying then libel would be the start of it, but it wouldn't stop there. I can imagine criminal charges being brought.