• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wonder what would have happened if Amir took wickets off his final two deliveries of his first over and the ball he was meant to bowl a no ball on was actually his hat trick delivery.

Hatty or the moolah?

Sir Alex

Banned
I wonder what would have happened if Amir took wickets off his final two deliveries of his first over and the ball he was meant to bowl a no ball on was actually his hat trick delivery.

Hatty or the moolah?
Hatty...

Because you'd heard the conversation between the bookie and the NOTW guy that the final bet may be off because of same reasons, that Pak bowlers were doing too well, and they wouldn't turn the match for the gain...

I don't think they would've assented to changing the outcome..

Burgey

Hatty...

Because you'd heard the conversation between the bookie and the NOTW guy that the final bet may be off because of same reasons, that Pak bowlers were doing too well, and they wouldn't turn the match for the gain...

I don't think they would've assented to changing the outcome..
Nah, by deliberately bowling no balls you are prepare to influence the outcome of the game

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, exactly. Can't believe people areacting like spot fixing is somehow morally superior to match fixing. They are one and the same.

Daemon

After all it might just be an elaborate hoax between Majeed and the NOTW reporter who are about to come out and say "Ha ha fooled you all" and go away and pocket a publishers advance of several million for the book and film rights to the media frenzy that their little charade has brought about - improbable? absolutely, but possible nonetheless.
following which they would get sued to bankruptcy 8-)

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think Cevno is clutching at straws whether existent or non-existent. As far as I can see all he is doing is making a similar point to the one I have being making that all is not always what it seems. The evidence against Butt, Asif and Amir certainly seems compelling but we have only seen one side of the story.

I have already mentioned the Grobbelaar case - he was caught in just this sort of sting and claimed at his trial he had been gathering evidence to pass to the police - that struck me then, and indeed still does, as a very desperate grab at a very puny piece of straw yet two separate juries, who heard all the evidence, rather than just reading the headlines, couldn't reach a verdict.

It's just the same here - we simply can't know enough to pass a final judgment at this stage and while everyone has their opinions, and mine is, as with Grobbelaar, that I don't see how they're going to get out of it, I'm keeping an open mind.

After all it might just be an elaborate hoax between Majeed and the NOTW reporter who are about to come out and say "Ha ha fooled you all" and go away and pocket a publishers advance of several million for the book and film rights to the media frenzy that their little charade has brought about - improbable? absolutely, but possible nonetheless.
Implausible though the above might seem, Fred is of course 100% correct. You never know the whole story till the trial (if any) begins, and not always then since reporting of legal cases is generally so poor.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Deliberately playing to lose isn't the same as just being corrupt, I mean for example Amir still played pretty ****ing good despite the no balls that were made to order.

Actually throwing matches entirely is just worse IMO, same ball park though.

Burgey

Deliberately playing to lose isn't the same as just being corrupt, I mean for example Amir still played pretty ****ing good despite the no balls that were made to order.

Actually throwing matches entirely is just worse IMO, same ball park though.
He played hard in this game. The fact he's prepared to compromise his performance to bowl no balls is bad enough. It shows you he's under the influence of bookies, doesn't it?

Nah mate, you're deliberately no-balling, you are trying not to win.

I know it's hard for everyone cos he's 18 (allegedly) and has nice hair, but come on. If he didn't swing the ball around at decent pace I frankly think everyone would have no problem banning him for life (assuming it's proven of course).

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
He played hard in this game. The fact he's prepared to compromise his perfoamce to ball no balls is bad enough. It shows you he's under the influence of bookies, doesn't it?

Nah mate, you're deliberately no-balling, you are trying not to win.

I know it's hard for everyone CPA he's 18 (allegedly) and has nice hair, but come on. If he didn't swing the ball around at decent pace I frankly think everyone would have no problem banning Jim for life (assuming it's proven of course).
Not trying to say the two aren't connected but I'm saying if it is just spot-fixing alone that isn't the same as match-fixing. Sure one probably goes with the other but they are different things IMO.

pasag

RTDAS
The worst thing is that people have started apologising for them before they have even done so themselves. Let them man up, say sorry and show remorse before we start talking about lenience.

angad

U19 12th Man
Pakistan's ambassador to the United Nations Abdullah Hussain Haroon slammed the players and Pakistan's High Commissioner to Britain Wajid Shamsul Hasan.

"We can't have national icons jeopardising the standing of the nation because of rash and brash youngsters who want to make money quickly"

Diplomats at the Pakistani legation in Belgravia are less then amused by his stunning remarks with one of them saying that he felt "depressed" by Hasan's statements to the media.

"We are trying to get him (HC Hasan) off the TV screens, but there's no stopping him." :laugh:

"I suppose it is quite funny for outsiders, but the rest of us find it embarrassing. Anyway, it'll backfire, I have my own contacts among journalists and I am told they (the News of the World) will produce more things on Sunday,"
Source

What amuses me the most is the absence of Ijaz Butt.There are no statements coming from the President of Pakistan Cricket Board.

Last edited:

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
Pakistan's ambassador to the United Nations Abdullah Hussain Haroon slammed the players and Pakistan's High Commissioner to Britain Wajid Shamsul Hasan.

Source

What amuses me the most is the absence of Ijaz Butt.There are no statements coming from the President of Pakistan Cricket Board.
i have a feeling that if these match fixing allegations are proven then ijaz butt is involved as well, guys like salman butt would need some protection from "above" to operate and some of pakistan's selections have been inexplicable....

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

Source

I am really interested in hearing what other 179 Pakistani Ambassadors have to say.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I am really interested in hearing what other 179 Pakistani Ambassadors have to say.
To be honest the popular opinion in Pak that i heard from various Pak news channels is plain and simple that our players have been involved in match fixing before and this does not surprise them that much and they would like to see these guys out of the team. Not so much for Amir though.

Also Imran was on a TV show today and had some very strong words for PCB and the way its running. He said straight up that these allegations are the strongest he has ever seen and if players are found guilty they should be given maximum punishment. Also he specifically mentioned that after his retirement he started seeing this 1993 onwards that more and more match fixing started in Pakistan and now it has reached this point where it doesn't bother the players one bit that their whole nation and their own image in the world becomes a laughing stock.