Page 38 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: ***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    The severity of the crime, as I understand it has little to do with him being released on bail. Basically what's happening is he's being released whilst the police build up their case and formally charge him.

BTW this sort of straw clutching is exactly what Pakistan doesn't need. They need to acknowledge there is a serious problem and clean house. As long as the self-denials and delusions continue, nothing will be done.
    Its neither a self denial nor is a delusion, i just find it to be a very weak legal case as well as a cheap attempt by English media until it is black and white that these players did this...especially when Amir is being accused i have got questions before everyone calls for there heads....

Yes there are problems and no one denies that..there were problems in SA, even like Sanz mentioned in another thread with Essex and no such attacks were launched on anyone and ECB barely said anything about Essex county...i can't accept that people ask for Pakistani player's heads when nothing is even proven yet...
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    it is quite disturbing to see the pakistan captain and accused players acting defensive in this case. if i were salman butt i would have opened the press conference by telling the press that the allegations are total crap and no bloody newspaper or any one could **** with my integrity. i would assure the cricket watching public that i play to win and i put my team above everything else and no one could ever buy me or my players. i would ask amir and asif to assure them the no balls were genuine mistakes and these kind of mistakes happen all the time in cricket. i would promise them a good fight back in the one dayers and ask everyone to trust me, captain of the pakistan national cricket team, instead of some nameless bookie and a grainy video.

he didn't do any of this. all the players walked to the ground like the accused enter the court house. they stared at the ground and no one had the guts to look up. salman butt avoided talking about the sydney test. he didn't aggressively challenge the allegations. amir looks and acts guilty. they are not angry they have been called cheats. i don't like the smell.
    Last edited by bagapath; 30-08-2010 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faisal1985 View Post
    I would suggest you also stop calling them cheats until its proven beyond a reasonable doubt.
    Agreed. Cheats are people who break the rules to get a headstart over their opponents in the match. What these guys did isn't cheating, it's much, much worse.

I don't have any doubt that this is very weak legal case in a court and i am not worried about a conviction based on just the evidence that NOTW has provided so far to the public as well. If anyone of these evidence is found to be wrong or corrupt the whole credibility of the remainder of the proof will also be questioned. All in all in my opinion this is a weak case and i am talking legally not emotionally.
    If you can't convict for this then you might as well pack up the legal system and bring on anarchy. This is about as redhanded as it gets.

What is more striking is why the fixer is setting up the bundles of cash on his table like that? Its almost like he is trying to make sure that the camera catches the cash as well...
    How else do you count large stacks of money? It's not like the movies where you take one look at a suitcase full of cash, nod, and drive away.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Its neither a self denial nor is a delusion, i just find it to be a very weak legal case as well as a cheap attempt by English media until it is black and white that these players did this...especially when Amir is being accused i have got questions before everyone calls for there heads....

Yes there are problems and no one denies that..there were problems in SA, even like Sanz mentioned in another thread with Essex and no such attacks were launched on anyone and ECB barely said anything about Essex county...i can't accept that people ask for Pakistani player's heads when nothing is even proven yet...

International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    this is in total contrast to how inzy's team reacted to ball tampering allegations. they didnt tamper with the ball so they didnt mind taking the fight to the streets. salman butt's press conference had "guilty" written all over it. they are cheats for sure. no point in trying to protect them.

Salman Butt Post Match Press Conference 4th Test Lords - PakPassion - Pakistan Cricket Forum

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    That's is my concern. We are passing judgments here based on videos and percieving them as cheats when we don't even know the whole case....ALL we know is the videos...then why call them cheats just yet....?

Why jump the gun and start calling for the elimination of Pak team, life bans etc. etc...what is all that non sense...?
    Jump the gun?

Are you serious?

FMD mate, I walk into court to prosecute a case like this, I tender the video of the meeting, then the video of the no balls. Then I sit down.

Then I put my feet up on the bar table for two weeks while the defendants wallow their way through trying to make it look like some sort of bizarre coincidence or, even better for my side, they try and make out a conspiracy.

Then the jury deliberates for 12 minutes, 8 of which is walking to and from the jury room and ordering lunch, then they come back and deliver a guilty verdict, then they file out for sandwiches.

Then I go to the pub and have a giggle about it before sending the bill out.

It's brilliant. Be one of the better anecdotes of my legal career.

If the video of the meeting pre-dates the Test match and it's authentic, then the players are toast.

I understand your frustration mate. But there's no conspiracy here. Nevertheless, like you....

WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

International Debutant
    The only reason the legal arguement is weak, is because the defrauding bookmakers charge cannot be leavelled in England, because only bent bookmakers on the sub-continent take spot-betting in cricket. The fixer involved technically defrauded no UK based or owned bookmaker thus making him not guilty.

What a bastard.

However, there is almost no arguement the 3 players indicated are guilty. Reports i'm reading are that the notes found in the players room are the same given to the fixer by the NOTW. Guilty - thats indisputable. Akmal i'd like to see some evidence first (although the footage of the Sydney test is pretty damming lol) though.

99*
    Just a question. Can NOTW be charged for the tampering/defrauding/whatever it is anyway? They did pay money in order to make sure certain things happened during the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey
    She tells me the thing will flatten out, I say "Like your chest?" Bad mistake.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Lets get this thing straightened out. NOTW did not ask Majeed to have the no balls bowled.

The Majeed character has been going around trying to promote his "business" of 'fixing' cricket matches for the benefit of his clients - existing or potential.

The NOTW reporters contacted him pretending to be a far east betting syndicate and wanted to know how could Majeed assure them he was not just making an idle boast.

In order to prove his credentials, of his hold over the Pakistani cricketers, of being able to get them to do his bidding, he suggested a small 'trailer' if you please; of a 'relatively harmless' preview (as far as the game and any actual betting is concerned) of what he could do.

So he said he could make them bowl no balls on the exact balls of the exact over and gave the over and ball numbers off the cuff.

When asked who would bowl the particular overs, he said so and so. All this NOT FOR ANY SPOT FIXING, as the media has been crying hoarse, but just to advertise the quality of his 'product/services' - if you please.

And then he delivered on his promise.

To watch the tapes live and to see what actually happened is shocking even when one is convinced that this kind of thing has been happening regularly for a long time.

To say that these are allegations and not yet proven maybe okay from the point of view of protecting one's backside from legal action by the defendants but to actually believe that this entire thing is some elaborate hoax is to deny that your ancestors were apes; and to claim the ostrich as a recent grand grand grand . . . parent.

Yes the bowlers concerned were not doing any great harm to the game in question by those three no balls surely it showed what a hold characters like Majeed have over these cricketers.

To say that salman butt was not involved is to show complete lack of logic and reasoning. How could it be assured that the 'right' bowler bowled the particular over without the captain being involved?

To say that only the Pakistani cricketers do such things is to show naiveté, bias, a holier than thou attitude or a combination of one or more of these. However, having said that, the fact is that it is Pakistan who have been embroiled in it so often, they are the ones that are being caught with the hand in the cookie jar and they are the ones that are squealing on their team-mates.

So they have to face the music.

To ask for Pakistan to be banned from Test cricket because their cricketers are involved is unfair but it is not unfair to ask Pakistan to take stringent and IRREVOCABLE action or else. This is nit just completely fair but is also absolutely necessary.

That Mr Pawar, a senior minister from a country that has serious political issues going back over sixty years with Pakistan, is the President of ICC is yet another reason to bemoan the pre-eminence of politicians in sporting bodies. He is in between a rock and a hard place today and he does not know what to do.

The only people who have genuine stakes in the game and who should be expected to do the right thing in this situation are the poor hapless Pakistani cricket fans. One's heart goes out to them but how one wishes they would put their knee-jerk reactions, defensive or otherwise, aside and realise what an unholy mess their cricket and their country is in.

It doesn't matter whether the rest of the world is being fair to them or not. They need to ask themselves whether they are being fair to their country's and their cricket's long term future. Sentimentality and trying to put up a front before the rest of the world wont help anything except pamper our personal egos. We have to understand that the bruises to our egos, howsoever severe, are the least of our problems in such a crisis. There are much more serious and urgent issues at stake.

We dont have to listen to the shameless leaders who are crying,"Its a moment of shame for our country". These leaders have brought greater shame to our countries than the cricketers. But the fact ios that we are discussing the cricketers now and we need to set our house in order as far as the cricket is concerned.

I may be excused for using the first person even when talking of the Pakistani fans but as always, I feel a strong sense of affinity to my brothers across the border and wish them well.
    Last edited by SJS; 31-08-2010 at 11:09 AM.

Banned
    Well, four players look likely to be suspended now, and are unlikely to take any further part in the tour, pending an investigation - Salman Butt, Mo Asif, Mo Amir, and Kamran Akmal. I think that's the right decision....

Quote Originally Posted by shivfan View Post
    Well, four players look likely to be suspended now, and are unlikely to take any further part in the tour, pending an investigation - Salman Butt, Mo Asif, Mo Amir, and Kamran Akmal. I think that's the right decision....
    Reckon if I were an international cricketer asked to play against these guys I'd be torn between refusing to do so, as a statement against tolerance of corruption, or playing and taking a $50 note out on the field, showing it so everyone can see and then insist on trying to give it to one or all of those players while winking at them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    I wonder if any of those involved will use the tried and trusted "Grobbelaar defence" ie I was carrying out my own investigation with a view to presenting my findings to the authorities

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    I wonder if any of those involved will use the tried and trusted "Grobbelaar defence" ie I was carrying out my own investigation with a view to presenting my findings to the authorities
    It should be called the "Manoj Prabhakar Defence" in this case though..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Reckon if I were an international cricketer asked to play against these guys I'd be torn between refusing to do so, as a statement against tolerance of corruption, or playing and taking a $50 note out on the field, showing it so everyone can see and then insist on trying to give it to one or all of those players while winking at them.
    What international board would want to play Pakistan after this until all these players are given life long bans
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

U19 Cricketer
    guys guys....the NOTW is a pretty cheap tabloid, it is somewhat plausible that they would try and fabricate this because they know it would get a certain amount of mileage and make it $$$$

but......

this would surely have to be a really stupid move by them which would cost them $$$$$$ in compensation, which to my mind makes it unlikely

thats really the only two possibilites, talk of occam's razor and the such is nothing more than mental masturbation

Page 38 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Thread Information