• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why on earth is Ronnie Flanagan running the show? How bizarre. Perhaps his experience of allegations of corruption will come in handy.

angad

U19 12th Man
Pakistan blames ICC President Sharad Pawar for ICC action against tainted trio

The Pakistan High Commissioner to UK, Wajid Shamsul Hasan, has sought to insinuate that ICC president Sharad Pawar has a hand in that decision.

:laugh:

Read Full Story - Pakistan blames Pawar for ICC action against tainted trio

Really pathetic, Pakistan = Allegations, Conspiracy Theories.

Wajid Shamsul Hasan Removed Asif Zardari Swiss Case Evidence in Geneva

High Commissioner for Pakistan to the UK, Mr. Wajid Shamsul Hasan is dubious character, has no Integrity. All part of President Asif Ali Zardari's corruption.

Why draggin India or Indians into it ? this is getting beyond joke now! :@

Is there anything going wrong in Pakistan that is not linked to RAW/Mossad/CIA ? :wallbash:

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
This crap is pathetic. It would be an absolute joke if the players were allowed to continue playing whilst they're under investigation.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I wonder how the police have managed to prove that the video was made before the no-balls were bowled?
The police haven't proved anything yet.

But if it comes to proving it, they'll start with the content of the video itself, from which it's blindingly obvious that it pre-dated the no balls.

They'll then see what Majeed has had to say, and what the players have had to say. The suggestions are that they're not going to deny that the tape was made before the no-balls. The police will also have evidence from the guy who made the video. There may also be electronic evidence demonstrating when the tape was made, and evidence from others at the paper who saw it prior to the day in question. But frankly given the contents of the video, you hardly need that additional stuff.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It is just too unthinkable that they got this guy Majid to say all this AFTER events happened and set himself up to be prosecuted... As the saying goes, when you hear the hoofs beat, think of horses, not some avatar animals.. :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
well, I did make up the last part :) But it does go as "when you hear hoofs beat, think of horses", I think.. Seen it used a few times somewhere.. can't recall.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Surely all the police have to do is to prove the date of the video as to whether the players are guilty or not...

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
well, I did make up the last part :) But it does go as "when you hear hoofs beat, think of horses", I think.. Seen it used a few times somewhere.. can't recall.
Yea it's a fairly common expression, been used on Scrubs I think. The usual saying is think horses not zebras.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
News repots are saying here that part of the £150k paid by the News of the World was found INSIDE some of Butts belongings when the police searched it :laugh:

Not looking good for him at all, he could be facing actual jail time if that sort of evidence is indeed true.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
Pretty easy one, that. If the video was made after the no-balls were bowled, why was the players' agent predicting when the no-balls were going to happen - ie talking about what was going to happen, in the future tense? Unless the players' agent was setting them up in a way that was going to get himself in a world of trouble, which seems pretty implausible to me.

There's some real clutching at straws going on here. Predictable, of course, but that's what it is: clutching at straws.
you are getting your panties in a twist, this is not clutching at straws, this is asking for due process - there is no reason for the PCB to automatically accept the video, ofcourse it looks bad and the majority of people have made their minds up, none the less the issue of due process and verification remains....

Scaly piscine

you are getting your panties in a twist, this is not clutching at straws, this is asking for due process - there is no reason for the PCB to automatically accept the video, ofcourse it looks bad and the majority of people have made their minds up, none the less the issue of due process and verification remains....
You do that behind closed doors. You don't ramble on it about it endlessly when confronted by the media, it's just utterly amateurish.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
It is just too unthinkable that they got this guy Majid to say all this AFTER events happened and set himself up to be prosecuted... As the saying goes, when you hear the hoofs beat, think of horses, not some avatar animals.. :)
Perhaps playing Devil's Advocate here but, Let's not get to conclusions now.

The betting syndicate is very powerful and is easily capable of getting Majid to make the tape to get the players in trouble.
They could threaten him or pay him to make this video.
It's the players who have their career's to lose,not him. Don't think if nobody incurred a straight loss on this ,he can be charged with anything serious at all.

Let the police first establish the date of the video through forensics and other stuff before coming to conclusions either way.
Prima facie it may seem evidence but it is not the case many times once examined thoroughly.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Perhaps playing Devil's Advocate here but, Let's not get to conclusions now.

The betting syndicate is very powerful and is easily capable of getting Majid to make the tape to get the players in trouble.
They could threaten him or pay him to make this video.
It's the players who have their career's to lose,not him. Don't think if nobody incurred a straight loss on this ,he can be charged with anything serious at all.

Let the police first establish the date of the video through forensics and other stuff before coming to conclusions either way.
Prima facie it may seem evidence but it is not the case many times once examined thoroughly.
Why would they want to expose one of themselves again? It is one thing playing DA but quite another to clutch at non-existent straws.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
One thing that I really don't agree with is that there's a difference between match fixing and spot fixing. Said this back in 2007:
But generally, you don't "fix" matches.

The betting that goes on in for player x to bowl two wides in his 4th over. They pay off said player to do so, and collect the huge odds for that happening. That way you only have to pay off one player, rather than a whole side in determining how a whole fixture pans out.
It's going to be the best and easiest way for bookies, and it needs to be regarded as the same.

fredfertang

Why would they want to expose one of themselves again? It is one thing playing DA but quite another to clutch at non-existent straws.

I don't think Cevno is clutching at straws whether existent or non-existent. As far as I can see all he is doing is making a similar point to the one I have being making that all is not always what it seems. The evidence against Butt, Asif and Amir certainly seems compelling but we have only seen one side of the story.

I have already mentioned the Grobbelaar case - he was caught in just this sort of sting and claimed at his trial he had been gathering evidence to pass to the police - that struck me then, and indeed still does, as a very desperate grab at a very puny piece of straw yet two separate juries, who heard all the evidence, rather than just reading the headlines, couldn't reach a verdict.

It's just the same here - we simply can't know enough to pass a final judgment at this stage and while everyone has their opinions, and mine is, as with Grobbelaar, that I don't see how they're going to get out of it, I'm keeping an open mind.

After all it might just be an elaborate hoax between Majeed and the NOTW reporter who are about to come out and say "Ha ha fooled you all" and go away and pocket a publishers advance of several million for the book and film rights to the media frenzy that their little charade has brought about - improbable? absolutely, but possible nonetheless.