• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon if he admits all and then helps the police nail all the other people involved then he'd probably get a reduced ban.
But if he gets other nabbed then the Pakistan cricket establishment won't be too happy with him which would mean trouble for him in the future.

The betting mafia could also threaten him with serious consequences and other groups connected with them in Pakistan.

Seriously there are many outside factors always associated when Pakistan is involved.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Admission of guilt is one of the things listed in the ICC code of conduct that can be considered when deciding the length of the sentence.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I thought the most questionable result of the whole tour was the T20 game in Melbourne, Pakistan were cruising at one point in their chase and then threw it away with some bizarre running between the wickets and ridiculous dismissals. There was something especially fishy about the wickets of Rana Naved and Gul.

Only T20I: Australia v Pakistan at Melbourne, Feb 5, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com
If we're going down that route, Australia were guilty of fixing their T20s against Pakistan in England. They were in commanding positions in both games after 10-12 overs.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
But if he gets other nabbed then the Pakistan cricket establishment won't be too happy with him which would mean trouble for him in the future.

The betting mafia could also threaten him with serious consequences and other groups connected with them in Pakistan.

Seriously there are many outside factors always associated when Pakistan is involved.
Yep all of this is very true, but I was more referring to the ICC if they have authority to ban him?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I've read a fair few article on the subject now, as well as the first 10 pages of this thread but I'm still confused about something.

Asif and Aamer involved, easy to understand, they can bowl no balls on request.

Butt involved, slightly less clear how he's involved (and in my view more worrying as it questions whether he was involved in other, more serious match fixing), but he's the captain so understandable.

What I don't get is what Akmal is supposed to have done.
Salman Butt was allegedly going to deliberately play out a maiden over in the 3rd Test, which he would signal by tapping the wicket at a certain point in the over.

He supposedly backed out of it and gave no signal because the ball was doing too much and he couldn't guarantee that he wouldn't edge one through the slips for 4.

Kyle

School Boy/Girl Captain
It's slightly humourous that the ICC Playing Handbook 09-10 has Afridi with an England/Pakistan theme on the front cover :laugh:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Salman Butt was allegedly going to deliberately play out a maiden over in the 3rd Test, which he would signal by tapping the wicket at a certain point in the over.

He supposedly backed out of it and gave no signal because the ball was doing too much and he couldn't guarantee that he wouldn't edge one through the slips for 4.
Wow. How sad is it that he was considering any more than the mere fact the ball was doing a bit?

Think it's a lock we'll be seeing a 'my family was/is under threat' defense from the players involved.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Wow. How sad is it that he was considering any more than the mere fact the ball was doing a bit?

Think it's a lock we'll be seeing a 'my family was/is under threat' defense from the players involved.
Yeah, I think the possibility of a 'Higgins defense' has passed them by at this stage.

Burgey

What about the World T20? Everyone knows there's no way England could legitimately have won it.

Top_Cat

Ah right, I did know about that one after all but didn't remember the name. That defense is more common than people realise too!

Brett Dale

School Boy/Girl Captain
You don't know what to believe anymore.

This has to be the tip of the iceberg, but how can you go about proving what's in a players mind.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Admission of guilt is one of the things listed in the ICC code of conduct that can be considered when deciding the length of the sentence.
But don't you think his life would be under threat if he did that, considering the huge web around spot and match-fixing? I wouldn't underestimate that.

Top_Cat

An ACSU official has met with Veena Malik, former girlfriend of fast bowler Mohammad Asif, as part of the body's ongoing inquiries into the spot-fixing scandal in which Asif is one of the central figures.
When will these reporters stop with the outrageous lies?

Zinzan

Pretty easy one, that. If the video was made after the no-balls were bowled, why was the players' agent predicting when the no-balls were going to happen - ie talking about what was going to happen, in the future tense? Unless the players' agent was setting them up in a way that was going to get himself in a world of trouble, which seems pretty implausible to me.

There's some real clutching at straws going on here. Predictable, of course, but that's what it is: clutching at straws.
100 % with you on this Z. Is he suggesting their player agent/dirty bookie was fooled into thinking he was auditioning for a commercial or something, ridiculous statement. It's small wonder the NOTW spokesman laughed it off & refused to comment.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I've read a fair few article on the subject now, as well as the first 10 pages of this thread but I'm still confused about something.

Asif and Aamer involved, easy to understand, they can bowl no balls on request.

Butt involved, slightly less clear how he's involved (and in my view more worrying as it questions whether he was involved in other, more serious match fixing), but he's the captain so understandable.

What I don't get is what Akmal is supposed to have done.
remembering when the no ball is to be bowled so that he can actually take the catch then????

pasag

RTDAS
One good thing about all of this is the return of some great older members - the baconator, open365, laurzz, evermind...

Nothing like a huge scandal to bring dormant members back.

flibbertyjibber

What a great press conference.8-)

A perfect example of using lots of words to say very little,in fact nothing at all.:laugh: