• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

AaronK

State Regular
I thought ICC is going to make a decision today and get it over with..

I mean personally i am tired of all these alegations and specalitions which i think are mostly maybe true..

in the mist of all this mess, Ijaz Butt proved himself as the stupidest person and adminstration of them all.. the ****ing is still claiming that there are not enough evidance.. I swear it pisses me off..just for saying that Icc should ban pakistan..

Fusion

Global Moderator
Posting those pictures is a little nonsensical isn’t it? Of course Majeed was in the company of those players – he was their agent! The damning evidence is not his presence, but rather the fact that he could predict no balls like the second coming of Nostradamus.

open365

International Vice-Captain
I've read a fair few article on the subject now, as well as the first 10 pages of this thread but I'm still confused about something.

Asif and Aamer involved, easy to understand, they can bowl no balls on request.

Butt involved, slightly less clear how he's involved (and in my view more worrying as it questions whether he was involved in other, more serious match fixing), but he's the captain so understandable.

What I don't get is what Akmal is supposed to have done.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Posting those pictures is a little nonsensical isn’t it? Of course Majeed was in the company of those players – he was their agent! The damning evidence is not his presence, but rather the fact that he could predict no balls like the second coming of Nostradamus.
Haha yeah was going to say the same thing, it's not exactly suspicious being in company of your agent...

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Its all the NOTW's fault really - they broke the story too soon - if they'd waited a bit longer, then if they're right of course, then presumably they could have bought the result of one of the ODI's / T20's in which case there'd be none of this uncertainty and room for manoevre

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Its all the NOTW's fault really - they broke the story too soon - if they'd waited a bit longer, then if they're right of course, then presumably they could have bought the result of one of the ODI's / T20's in which case there'd be none of this uncertainty and room for manoevre
Yeah, I guess. But maybe they thought it was going to break anyway and they'd lose the story.

Sunday morning will be interesting. It wouldn't be unusual if the NOTW followed it up the week after. I do still wonder if they've got anything else up their sleeves.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
"but how can you deny what you see on tape"

hang on a sec, why should pakistan automatically accept that the tape is genuine.

we need one key question to be resolved and proven beyond doubt - when was the video taken....

if it was before the incident then fine, lets get the ball rolling on pakistan, until then we have to sit tight.....

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, I guess. But maybe they thought it was going to break anyway and they'd lose the story.
That was my initial reaction but then I couldn't see who else would break it if only their reporters and Mr Majeed knew what was going on - so if anyone else could break it then presumably it wouldn't be all that it seems after all ...............

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
hang on a sec, why should pakistan automatically accept that the tape is genuine.

we need one key question to be resolved and proven beyond doubt - when was the video taken....

if it was before the incident then fine, lets get the ball rolling on pakistan, until then we have to sit tight.....
Pretty easy one, that. If the video was made after the no-balls were bowled, why was the players' agent predicting when the no-balls were going to happen - ie talking about what was going to happen, in the future tense? Unless the players' agent was setting them up in a way that was going to get himself in a world of trouble, which seems pretty implausible to me.

There's some real clutching at straws going on here. Predictable, of course, but that's what it is: clutching at straws.

angad

U19 12th Man
New twist

Video evidence crucial to the case is authentic : BBC

Police investigating alleged corruption involving Pakistani cricketers believe that video evidence crucial to the case is authentic, BBC Sport understands.

Pakistan's High Commissioner Wajid Shamsul Hasan claims News of the World video allegedly exposing the scandal may have been made after the incident.

Salman Butt, Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Amir are currently being investigated by the police for alleged spot-fixing.

But police and cricket's governing body are treating the evidence as genuine.

The BBC also understands that the questions being posed by Hasan over the nature of the video evidence, after the Pakistan high commissioner had emerged from a Pakistan Cricket Board inquiry on Thursday, will not form part of the three cricketers' defence.

In response to Hasan's latest comments, the News of the World said it "refuses to respond to such ludicrous allegations".

Asif and Amir are alleged to have bowled three no-balls on purpose at pre-determined times to facilitate betting coups after a "middle-man" was reported to have accepted £150,000 in cash from an undercover reporter from the News of the World.

The newspaper published the claims last Sunday, days after the incidents were alleged to have taken place on the Thursday and Friday of the fourth Test at Lord's.

The cricketers Hasan referred to will now miss the rest of their country's tour of England , but the International Cricket Council has agreed to not to speak to them until the Metropolitan Police give permission.

Earlier on Thursday, Hasan insisted the players were "innocent".

"The players have voluntarily offered not to be included [in the tour]," he said. "They want to clear their names first."

Later Hasan emerged from the PCB inquiry in London to tell the BBC that the News of the World videotape of its meeting with cricket agent Mazhar Majeed could be inconclusive.

"You [the media] are jumping to conclusions, because no-balls are not taped like that," he said.

"We have not seen the videos. What the time [was when they were taken], what the date [was]... whether they were taken before or after the match. Do you have answers to the questions?"

When asked if the video could be fake, he replied: "You must know better because you are the media people."

Hours later Hasan told BBC Radio 5 live that "they [the players] are being brow-beaten for nothing by the media and they should be defended".

Pakistan team manager Yawar Saeed was keen to stress that the players in question had been left out and "not suspended" on Thursday, adding that they were all "extremely disturbed" by what has happened since the allegations were made on Sunday.

"They maintain that on account of the mental torture which has deeply affected them, they are not in the right frame of mind to play the remaining matches," he said.

The trio were originally questioned by police - along with wicketkeeper Kamran Akmal - at the team's hotel on Sunday, since when police said Akmal is no longer part of that investigation.

After it was announced that Butt, Amir and Asif will play no further part in England tour, England and Wales Cricket Board chairman Giles Clarke said that the decision was welcomed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/england/8964408.stm

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
It's just shambolic isn't it?

It's almost funny that the High Commissioner is pushing the (desperate and implausible) "the video might be faked" line when the players themselves aren't even bothering to do that. I would expect their defence will be based on some kind of allegation of duress. Threats to players' families most probably.

But time will tell.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
The cricinfo article now indicates the players have been charged by the ICC under the anti-corruption code, and there will be a hearing later where they will be able to protest their innocence if they wish.

Such a sorry state of affairs, with Amir being in there.

Jacknife

International Captain
Will it be better for them to confess all now, if they are guilty, or do you think they are damned if they do and damned if they don't confess.Do they ride it out and see what happens at the end of all the investigations ?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Will it be better for them to confess all now, if they are guilty, or do you think they are damned if they do and damned if they don't confess.Do they ride it out and see what happens at the end of all the investigations ?
I suspect Amir's best chance of having a career in cricket would be to get a lenient punishment; I really don't think that he stands much chance of acquittal. And so it could well be best for him to fess up early and offer his full co-operation.

There's a lot we don't know, though, so this is obviously all guesswork.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I reckon if he admits all and then helps the police nail all the other people involved then he'd probably get a reduced ban.