Page 34 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: ***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    I don't know. But we hardly are privy to the extreme hardships through which they've come.

And your example is perfect of what I said. Your society, upbringing etc don't permit you to do that, and well, that's the right way in your book. Perhaps the "hardship" what you had to endure, may not even be comparable to the best of times poor blokes in Pakistan may have experienced. I mean, who are we to judge from the front of computers about these people, and with our laws and our punishments and our trials??

Sometimes money, glamour etc completely blinds guys. Has happened to the best of blokes apparently. Will happen till the end of humanity too.
    The point about judging by our own laws has to be looked at. They have gone to stay and work in another country, and as such they are subject to the law as it is here. Obviously their circumstances would be taken into account, but if there is enough evidence I imagine they could be taken to court here. Equally by playing international cricket you are signing up to being judged by the laws of the game.

Of course, the PCB in my opinion has a massive duty of care, especially to the younger and less worldly-wise players. Whether the PCB has acted well is also important to look at.

International 12th Man blahblahblah's Avatar

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Cricket match-fixing | Pakistan

It's reported that Haddin was the player approached during last years T20, and that Watson was approached in London last year. Scary that it's all so open, just walking up to a player in a bar!

U19 Cricketer
    guys, you need to stop talking about this as if this is a transaction between bookies and players

my earlier posts alluded to this being bigger than that and lawsons comments just confirm my suspicion, this was very likely has linked to underground mafia activities and therefore can be a very ugle and messy scenario

i dont think the full extent of how deep this runs will come to light, it would be reuffling many many feathers

Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    Cricket match-fixing | Pakistan

It's reported that Haddin was the player approached during last years T20, and that Watson was approached in London last year. Scary that it's all so open, just walking up to a player in a bar!
    Did you read what was underneath that article which is also very telling.
    The former girlfriend of Mohammad Asif, who is accused of working with Majeed, has detailed an alleged trip Asif made to Bangkok before the Australian tour. "Since his comeback [from a drugs ban], he is totally involved in this,'' the Pakistani actress Veena Malik, told India's newspaper DNA. ''Once he told me that the entire Pakistan team is involved. From head to toe, the Pakistan players and officials are involved.

"One day he got business class tickets and went to Bangkok. He told me that he was offered $US40,000. I advised him not to be part of such activities but he did not listen. He went ahead and demanded $US200,000 from them. He borrowed $US3 million from me to pay to certain people to have his ban reduced to one year [from two].'

US $ 3 million has got to be either a typo or exaggeration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    This is a government that spent many years proclaiming the evil of AIDS vaccination, isn't it?
    Yup and that's one of the most disgusting episodes of recent human history that seems to have been swept under the carpet by everyone..
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    I read the article below by Geoff Lawson and was astonished by the bolded part.

Easy to overstep the mark when players' families' lives are at stake
    Geoff Lawson
    August 31, 2010

People have been quick to judge the Pakistani cricketers, but what is happening might have nothing to do with money.

If these allegations of fixing are proved, it could be related to extortion, threats, and the well-being of their own family members. It would not surprise me if illegal bookmakers have told players that if they do not perform X and Y, their families will be kidnapped or harmed.

In my time as Pakistan coach, I gained some incredible insights into the workings of the country and the team, and I'll never forget the time the team captain called me up to his room on the eve of a match.

Earlier that day, a player who we had not selected for the game approached me, saying: ''I was told I would be playing tomorrow.'' My response was, ''Well no, you're not, you've obviously been given the wrong information.''

Then the skipper of the side called me late in the evening. I went to his room and he was standing there with a very sombre-looking selector.

This selector said: ''We must pick [the player who had earlier approached me], I have been told that if he is not in the team tomorrow, my daughter will be kidnapped and I will not see her again.''

At first we both laughed, but then we realised he was being serious. Our chairman then called the president, Pervez Musharraf, who in turn phoned the people behind the threats and said they had better reconsider or else. The next we heard the matter had been resolved.

We must also remember that we are judging these guys by the standards of our own country, when their situations are vastly different.

The first time I met Mohammad Amir was when he was 16 years old, coming to an under-19s camp. He comes from a small village near the Swat valley and was delayed by three hours because the Taliban had closed the highway. That doesn't happen in this country. One thing that struck me about Amir was his constant smile, his zest for the game. That has not changed.

I will never condone any form of fixing, but we should consider that a cricketer might not be thinking of personal gain but of getting money to buy a generator for his village because they don't have electricity.

I had a lot to do with Mohammad Asif and he was always missing training sessions to look after his sick mother. He has spent a lot of his money on looking after his family.

If Salman Butt is involved in any match-fixing, I would be absolutely stunned. He is a very intelligent, polite guy and has done well since taking over the team.

I cannot remember one incident in my time as coach of Pakistan that aroused suspicion of a fix.

I had my eye on it when Asif and Shoaib Akhtar had come back from their nandrolone bans. We had a meeting about match-fixing and spot-fixing.

We were pretty consistent during my tenure. The players knew there were financial rewards for performing well.

My first reaction to this latest news was sadness. These are people I know, people I call friends. This will probably be the end of some careers.

I don't think Pakistan should be banished. We have seen them survive some incredible on- and off-field turmoil. You shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

But I will say that the present Pakistan administration cannot escape some of the blame for this. What they need right now is positive leadership and they don't have it. The Pakistan Cricket Board chairman, Ijaz Butt, is not a leader, he should not have the job.

When I was there, the board did not have people with vested interests, they were business people who treated people fairly. The first-class players were looked after and paid well and it made a difference.

It would be the greatest tragedy if a young man like Aamer has been led astray.

Source
    It is good get comments from someone who has seen Pakistan Cricket from very close in the midst of the noises of "Ban them", "Cheats" blah blah blah.

Pakistan Cricket needs help from ICC not a ban.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacknife View Post
    Did you read what was underneath that article which is also very telling.
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    US $ 3 million has got to be either a typo or exaggeration.
    The girl referred to in that article is his ex-wife Veena Malik. She and Asif had an extremely bitter and public divorce. They were regularly on TV shows yelling at each other and accusing the other of every indiscretion imaginable. She maybe telling the truth, but anything she says has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Yeah, its not like Veena Malik is a paragon of Virtue, I have watched her stuff.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    It is good get comments from someone who has seen Pakistan Cricket from very close in the midst of the noises of "Ban them", "Cheats" blah blah blah.

Pakistan Cricket needs help from ICC not a ban.
    Help? How does the ICC stop that? Ban should definitely be a big option if such things are happening in their cricket infrastructure.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Azhar was banned for life as a cricketer. He was elected by the people into the Parliament, there is nothing illegal about it.
    SJS wasn't talking about the legality, he was talking about 'the people', precisely...
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    SJS wasn't talking about the legality, he was talking about 'the people', precisely...
    So what is wrong with the people electing Azhar ?

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Agree 100%. There's no way that any professional player would think that accepting money from a bookie in exchange for performing in a certain way is wrong. It's not as if spot-fixing is a new thing either; Kaneria got arrested for allegedly doing it in county cricket a couple of months ago. He wasn't charged in the end, but if for some reason Amir hadn't known of it before, you can be damn sure he would've known of it after that.
    Bailed until September.

Thread Information