• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha Watto :wub:

"I don't think I'm that good company that you'd really want to take me out (for drinks) that much"

Oh Watto... I'd take you out for drinks any time.

A good point made, though, that if the players are supposed to be reporting these things in confidence their names shouldn't be in the media.

brockley

International Captain
http://cricket.ndtv.com/storypage.aspx?id=INTEN20100151547&nid=
Bangladesh and windies linked with spot betting.

R_D

International Debutant
it is quite disturbing to see the pakistan captain and accused players acting defensive in this case. if i were salman butt i would have opened the press conference by telling the press that the allegations are total crap and no bloody newspaper or any one could **** with my integrity. i would assure the cricket watching public that i play to win and i put my team above everything else and no one could ever buy me or my players. i would ask amir and asif to assure them the no balls were genuine mistakes and these kind of mistakes happen all the time in cricket. i would promise them a good fight back in the one dayers and ask everyone to trust me, captain of the pakistan national cricket team, instead of some nameless bookie and a grainy video.

he didn't do any of this. all the players walked to the ground like the accused enter the court house. they stared at the ground and no one had the guts to look up. salman butt avoided talking about the sydney test. he didn't aggressively challenge the allegations. amir looks and acts guilty. they are not angry they have been called cheats. i don't like the smell.
AWTA...
The way they have behaved so far has the looks of being guilty..... That press conference of Salman Butt was quite interesting.

stumpski

International Captain
Quite a few ex-players have been asked for their opinions over the last few days; the Beeb were scraping the barrel a bit though when they interviewed Younis Ahmed, a man sacked for betting against his own county. :D

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha how funny was Haddin today when asked about it:

Reporter: Does cricket need Pakistan?
Haddin: Nope.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It was amusing to see Pakistani cricketers and politicians veering around to, nothing has been proven, no one is arrested, no one is charged, not fair to jump to conclusions. But thats true to form. After the initial shock and fury, they have always resorted to this line so one would have been surprised only if they had done otherwise. What is irritating, however, is that the media is not able to challenge them beyond saying, "but how can you deny what you see on tape" and then shut up when they repeat, "No one has been charged" line once again.

But even that is not surprising for most of the TV anchors are only good for using sensational words not for going into the facts of the matter which are as under . . .

1. ICC can not take any action till the law of the land (England) has run its course. . . .

. . . and the law of the land is stymied.

2. Majeed Mazhar was let off on bail and no charges have been framed because there is no law that seems to have been broken !

Under British law for a case of fraud to be registered there has to be a party that has been defrauded. Someone ought to have bet on those balls being not being no-balls and hence lost money on account of a conspiracy between the players/Majeeed/whoever else. This did not happen because this was not a case of "spot fixing" as the idiots of the media have been crying hoarse from the beginning.

As I mentioned in an earlier post it was only Majeed trying to show the NOTW reporters, who he thought represented a far east betting syndicate, that he had leverage with the Pakistani players.

There WAS no betting involved.

He just took the money, said so-and-so over's so-and-so ball willl be a no-ball and delivered on his promise. All to show what he could do in the interest of FUTURE business possibilities with this "Betting syndicate"

Looking for a proof of fraud will of course result in no proof for their was no intention to defraud anyone !

Majeed never said any betting was taking place for on those no-balls. So where is the question of finding any proof of spot-fixing in those tapes.

3. No court of law in England can bring them to book and the Pakistanis having realised that have started "bulding thier defense" around this without bothering to go into the heart of the matter which is that Majeed could get players to do his bidding for money on the field of play. This was just a trailer of what he could do in future (or may have done in the past as he claims) for the benefit of new potential clients !

4. The ICC, once the law has run its course, can bring the players to book for bringing the game into disrepute etc etc but I could take a small bet that by then the Pakistani establishment would have talked so long and so with so much of damaged innocence, of "no law was broken, no match was fixed, there was no spot-fixing involved, no betting involved, no proof has been found, our players are innocent and so on and so forth.

The majority of the Pakistani public would have, by then, started believing this nonsense which completely ignores what actually happened and all sorts of conspiracy theories about attempts to malign Pakistan by its enemies will be brandished with impunity.

Unfortunately for Pakistan, for its cricket, and for the game in general this will be another tragedy.

But who cares after the sound and fury has spent its course.

Its business as usual for everyone.

Last edited:

AaronK

State Regular
i don't know if anyone has said this or not..

but some senior pakistani reporters have reported in a tv channel that the reason Ijaz butt is not suspending the accused players because the players involved have threaten to name everyone who is involved in match fixing.. which means there is a possibility of butt and other high PCB officials being involve in match fixing... so Butt is trying to save himself and his buddies in PCB by not suspending anyone..

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i don't know if anyone has said this or not..

but some senior pakistani reporters have reported in a tv channel that the reason Ijaz butt is not suspending the accused players because the players involved have threaten to name everyone who is involved in match fixing.. which means there is a possibility of butt and other high PCB officials being involve in match fixing... so Butt is trying to save himself and his buddies in PCB by not suspending anyone..
Haha geez I hope that's not the case. If they're not being suspended so that other players/officials can keep fixing matches. that's ****ing atrocious. Taking it with a firm grain of salt, mind you.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Harsha Bhogle or some one raised a point on tv when the controversy first surfaced that PCB needs to get going from the scratch with an independent committee of 2-3 respected people who are in Pakistan cricket right now - Imran Khan, Rameez Raza, Shahryar Khan forming a committee of sorts. I think the point is a very valid one. We can hope though it won't happen.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Harsha Bhogle or some one raised a point on tv when the controversy first surfaced that PCB needs to get going from the scratch with an independent committee of 2-3 respected people who are in Pakistan cricket right now - Imran Khan, Rameez Raza, Shahryar Khan forming a committee of sorts. I think the point is a very valid one. We can hope though it won't happen.
I think the simple thing to do, since Scotland Yard is not going beyond the criminal aspects if any 9and there are none it seems) of what happened, is for PCB, ICC and whosoever is genuinely interested, is to get a report from the Scotland Yard of the genuine-ness of the Video tapes and the claims made by NOTW and Majeed.

If the answer is yes(which is most likely) they have to take the most stringent possible action against all those involved directly PLUS initiate sincere efforts to find who eklse is involved and not yet named.

If the answer is no (that is the video is a fraus or the NOTW and/or Majeed are lying) then they should put their money where their mouths are and file for a massive defamation case (from the PCB and the Pakistan Governments side) to bring the matter to a logical conclusion.

Of course none of this is going to happen.

The Scotland Yard will make its report and close the case if no criminal charges can be framed (as is likely if no laws of the land have been broken), PCB and Pakistan Government and cricketers (past and present) will shout from the roof tops about conspiracies and the fans will go back home to watch the next game.

I am sorry if this sounds cynical but this is how it is.

This is why the ball is now squarely in the ICC's court for no one else has either the inclination or the interest to do anything more. Unfortunately from ICC and Mr Pawar I expect nothing . . . nothing whatsoever either on this or on the IPL scam where he is the only one involved with the BCCI who refuses to say anything completely negative about Mr Modi. The reasons are obvious to some and suggest themselves to others but no one cares for what matters at the end of the day is the greenback and thats what brings about the scams . . . and thats what helps sweeping all the dirt back under the fabulous, thick, exotic carpets.

Boycott the games as cricket fans if you care. I intend to if this matter too is brushed under the carpet.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
1. The ICC is a bit of a joke.

2. No one has the interest of cricket in mind.

It is a very depressing situation.