• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yup, this would end only if there is a more equitable distribution of match fees and salaries amongst Test players.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I am honestly in shock that such talented people like Amir and Asif would succumb to such greed.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
**** this is really sad for the game. One day these guys are all the sanctimonious pricks donating half their game fees for charity and then we know they do that because they receive a bigger package from the bookies. Sad day for cricket.
Really sad.

If all this is true, everyone involved should be suspended for life. A 2-3 year ban won't be good for anyone.

Having said that, if players like Asif and Amir are banned for life (I don't care much for Butt or Akmal, though) that'll really be very sad for all cricket-lovers.

Still, all of them should be banned for life if everything's true.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
To make an analogy, if I plagarize or make up only one line in a scientific paper: A) I will never publish again, and B) that paper would be completely removed, and all most past papers would be scrutinized and under suspicion.

I don't see why this Test should be allowed to stand.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Yup, this would end only if there is a more equitable distribution of match fees and salaries amongst Test players.
True.

Still, all involved players must be banned for life. I agree with what you are saying, but this can't be given as an excuse.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
To make an analogy, if I plagarize or make up only one line in a scientific paper: A) I will never publish again, and B) that paper would be completely removed, and all most past papers would be scrutinized and under suspicion.

I don't see why this Test should be allowed to stand.
Were any of the matches that Azharuddin and Cronje were found to have fixed wiped from the records?

Gutted about the news that Amir is involved, however I'd be completely in favour of a life ban from the sport for all involved.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Were any of the matches that Azharuddin and Cronje were found to have fixed wiped from the records?

Gutted about the news that Amir is involved, however I'd be completely in favour of a life ban from the sport for all involved.
I don't think so, but they should be.

Cricinfo understands from a source close to the investigation that a sum of £25,000 was found in the room of one of the Pakistan players, with further sums of £3000-4000 found on two other players. The source also confirmed that Mazheer was known to the team, but in an informal capacity.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not convinced it's about equity or fairness. It's not really about Pakistan players being paid less than English or Australians. It's just that they're paid so much less than they could make from match-fixing.

pskov

International 12th Man
If you read some of the other articles on the NOTW website they've published tonight there are allegations that go much further than just the current test match and 'just' no-balls. The reporter asked the guy they pulled the sting on about previous match-fixing and betting and he brings up the Sydney test this winter where a certain player who has been named made a few 'mistakes'. Obviously can't be 100% proven as there is no direct video evidence as there is with the no-balls in this test, but still... :unsure:

The guy also alleges that Afridi was disliked by the players because he was 'too honest' and that his syndicates have decided to stop fixing matches because they like the current captain and don't want him to lose the job so soon.

This is just repeating some of what has been published on the NOTW site, and I have tried to be suitably vague but if the mods feel this has to be deleted for libel protection reasons then I understand.

Last edited:

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Feel bad for Trott and Broad now. Even if the game isn't taken from the record, a massive taint on their day+ of hard work and graft, through no fault of their own.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'm not convinced it's about equity or fairness. It's not really about Pakistan players being paid less than English or Australians. It's just that they're paid so much less than they could make from match-fixing.
If you make a million dollars from salary, you're much less likely to accept $100k for match fixing and ruin your future.

If you make $50k from salary...that $100k looks a lot more tempting.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting point, that.