• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
People like Azharuddin are now honourable members of parliament.
Azhar was banned for life as a cricketer. He was elected by the people into the Parliament, there is nothing illegal about it.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
BBC News top story is the Pakistan spot-fixing scandal, featuring a piece by Jonathan Agnew entitled "Disaster for Pakistan".

Priorities?

chalky

International Debutant
just watched Michael Holding almost breaking in to tears specially when talking about aamir..

i am glad that at least someone who is not pakistani feeeling the same pain that we are feeling..
aamir how could you? why?
Watched that myself Holding looked devastated. Interesting that he said whilst involved with the ICC he learned that the ICC had info regarding corruption that did not become public knowledge as the ICC were too scared of legal cases against them.

howardj

International Coach
****ing hate these bash the ICC articles.

The ICC is far from perfect, but why muddy the waters by writing about it's systemic problems?

The players cheated and they should be banned for life.

I mean, if you're underpaid as an employee, it doesn't give you the right to be corrupt.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Or H*** for homosexuals or P*** for asians? (and I know the latter is implied to be used on pakistanis but idiots use it to offend other asians as well)
Please, please, please read through what you post before hitting reply. There is no way on earth that these are analogous situations, and you appear very keen to paint every word or sentence uttered in black or white rather than appreciating the myriad shades of grey in between.

Not all slang is abusive. Not all abuse is slang. Yes, there is a crossover, but context is absolutely everything.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
****ing hate these bash the ICC articles.

The ICC is far from perfect, but why muddy the waters by writing about it's systemic problems?

The players cheated and they should be banned for life.

I mean, if you're underpaid as an employee, it doesn't give you the right to be corrupt.
TBH, even as much as I dislike Conn's writing, I agree somewhat with both he and you. You're right on the personal responsibility angle but that the anti-corruption arm of the ICC was scooped by News of the World is a huge swing and a miss for them. The lack of a public report re: Zimbabwe really is quite an omission too.

howardj

International Coach
I think it should be remembered too that the ICC is not some separate governing world body. All it is, is the 10 or 11 chairmen of each nation's cricket board. Until you have an independent governing body, then people should expect vested interests to prevail, and shouldn't be so shocked, so indignant when they do.

Anyway, I think the focus should be on the players here, dealing with the governance of world cricket is for another time. While this scandal is fresh in our minds, it is a perfect opportunity to send a message that any contact with bookmakers means a life ban. If you've rang them back, if you've instigated contact, if you've compromised yourself...then you're out. Off to the pavillion for life.

Burgey

Gibbs was meant to get out for less than 20 but ended up blazing 70 odd. Gibbs said he had second thoughts when he went out to bat, others who know Gibbs said he was so stupid he just forgot.
Maybe the other mob had dough on him making 50.

Haha, imagine that.. Batsmen trying to get out, bowlers not trying to get them out.. Be laughable were it not ****ing the integrity of the whole sport.

We do it at our club's seven a side comp. If some tortoise batsman comes out, we try to keep them in, like Michael Clarke in T20s.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

I think it should be remembered too that the ICC is not some separate governing world body. All it is, is the 10 or 11 chairmen of each nation's cricket board. Until you have an independent governing body, then people should expect vested interests to prevail, and shouldn't be so shocked, so indignant when they do.
Fair point and of course I agree, I've made it before. :ph34r:

Anyway, I think the focus should be on the players here, dealing with the governance of world cricket is for another time. While this scandal is fresh in our minds, it is a perfect opportunity to send a message that any contact with bookmakers means a life ban. If you've rang them back, if you've instigated contact, if you've compromised yourself...then you're out. Off to the pavillion for life.
Too far for me. Mandatory sentencing I've never been a fan of.

Burgey

Pakistan's Federal sports minister, the supreme
"Ijaz Hussain Jakhrani said the government was concerned by the media reports about players involvement in 'spot-fixing'.
Jakhrani said that the government's priority now was to ensure that the players returned home and are not arrested by the London Metropolitan Police if the allegations against them turned out to be true.

news.outlookindia.com | Fixing Back to Haunt Pakistan And World Cricket

So I guess, there will be quick re-call of the players who are subject of the investigation.
This reminds me of early nineties or so, when Pak players on tour to WI , who were arrested for drug possession , were released after the Pak president or PM intervened to have them released.
What makes the Supreme one think the to and froms will let the players leave the UK?