• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why do you go from something as terrible as child abuse onto football espionage? They're hardly the same. I've mentioned my views on the media many times in the off topic and I'm sorry I'm not going into it in a part of the site dedicated to cricket.
Examples of how that paper breaks stories on various things and is generally pretty correct when it goes in on a sting like this.8-)

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Agreed, but there's a precedent of young players getting off for this kind of bull**** (think Gibbs), and especially in a system as corrupt as Pakistan's I can't see him being held to account, especially given how popular he is. Reckon 2 or 3 players (most likely Kamran and Asif) will be held up as sacrificial lambs, and charges against the rest will get swept under the rug or only lightly punished.
That is exactly how it will happen and possibly correctly-- I can see both POV

AaronK

State Regular
just watched Michael Holding almost breaking in to tears specially when talking about aamir..

i am glad that at least someone who is not pakistani feeeling the same pain that we are feeling..
aamir how could you? why?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Pakistan's Federal sports minister, the supreme
"Ijaz Hussain Jakhrani said the government was concerned by the media reports about players involvement in 'spot-fixing'.
Jakhrani said that the government's priority now was to ensure that the players returned home and are not arrested by the London Metropolitan Police if the allegations against them turned out to be true.

news.outlookindia.com | Fixing Back to Haunt Pakistan And World Cricket

So I guess, there will be quick re-call of the players who are subject of the investigation.
This reminds me of early nineties or so, when Pak players on tour to WI , who were arrested for drug possession , were released after the Pak president or PM intervened to have them released.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I am amazed at the logic of paying more money to players so that they are not tempted to cheat !

This is fantastic. Start paying huge sums to known kidnapping gangs in Uttar Pradesh india so that kidnappings go down. Start paying ten times the current salaries to Indian bureaucrats so that corruption can be reduced. In other words, reward people for being crooked. Hoping that advance payment will prevent subsequent deviant behaviour.

Weird !

The first thing that needs to be done is deterrent punishment. But we are oh soooo forgiving.

One does not need to go into the number of times deviant behaviour by cricketers has brought exactly the kind of uproar we are reading and hearing here and then those very cricketers come back.

People like Azharuddin are now honourable members of parliament.

We deserve the crooks that exist in our midst, amongst our politicians, our police, our bureaucrats and our sportsmen.

Let every Indian and pakistani put his hand on his heart and ask himself (you dont have to tell us) if he/she does not know of relatives who are in positions of influence and make money through corruption. I have some big ones in my family and they are not shunned by anyone. they are big shots and get royal treatment y family members even while people continue to shout themselves hoarse about the state of our countries.

All those who are exposed in this scandal will go scot free (unless you take a few hundred thousands as fine or missing a few tests as punishment enough) and will continue to play and the fans who are screaming blue murder will, by and large, be supportive of it. Two years from now we will be talking of "where is the proof".

We deserve the rot that exists in our systems for we do not have the balls to do anything about it.

Last edited:

cover drive man

International Captain
Examples of how that paper breaks stories on various things and is generally pretty correct when it goes in on a sting like this.8-)
The News of the world didn't catch gary glitter and who cares if they snuck in on sven with arabs? It's still a disgusting newspaper. No offence to you though mate :)

Last edited:

cover drive man

International Captain
Yeah, agreed. "Hooker" is to prostitute as "chippy" is to carpenter or "sparks" is to electrician, surely?
Or H*** for homosexuals or P*** for asians? (and I know the latter is implied to be used on pakistanis but idiots use it to offend other asians as well)

Last edited:

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
This is the Asia Cup match in question

I mean, it's circumstantial, but it looks pretty bad, two run outs, no one except Afridi (who is supposed to not be a part of the whole thing) doing anything with the bat.

From the Cricinfo match report

The batsmen before Afridi seemed either incompetent of or uninterested in the chase, the batsmen with him seemed intent on running themselves out,
Afridi then reminded the crowd Pakistan were indeed trying to win the match.
(or not)

Perhaps he didn't deserve to lose on the night, but then again many of his team-mates didn't deserve to win.
Pakistan top order is clueless: Against high-quality bowling from Lasith Malinga and Nuwan Kulasekara, the openers are like rabbits in headlights; Pakistan are reduced to 32 for 4 in the 14th over.
(bold from original article)

Spudsy2061

U19 Cricketer
If they won't kick Pakistan out of the ICC, which I think at this rate they need to be, but if they won't then the ICC at least needs to boot them from the 2011 World Cup I think. A message one way or another has to be sent to the PCB that we're not allowing this sport to take any more of this debacery.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I think one important thing should be kept in mind in this context.

I think all involved cricketers should be banned for life, no question about that. And I shall hate them for this. But I can still pay respect to some of their qualities. I shall still think that Asif was a fine bowler and Aamer was a hot prospect. Just like I still think that Azharuddin was an very good batsman, and I loved to watch him play as much as I love watching VVS Laxman play. I still say that Cronje was a good captain and a good all round cricketer. I hated the thing that Mike Tyson did, the thing for which he was banned from professional boxing for life. But that doesn't mean that I can deny the fact that he was an amazing boxer and I loved to watch him in action.