• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

cover drive man

International Captain
Once last point though on the ten point refutal (then the topic can back on track again) obviously the notw would say that. Also, why do they get away with using words like "hooker"?

Zaremba, you're right in a way but surely the case didn't help his drug problem. And it could have been an intended overdose, although to be fair, this wasn't the conclusion of the investigation.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't Gibbs get off (relatively) lightly because he ultimately decided not to throw away his wicket as planned? I don't think his age had much to do with it.
Gibbs was meant to get out for less than 20 but ended up blazing 70 odd. Gibbs said he had second thoughts when he went out to bat, others who know Gibbs said he was so stupid he just forgot.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gibbs was meant to get out for less than 20 but ended up blazing 70 odd. Gibbs said he had second thoughts when he went out to bat, others who know Gibbs said he was so stupid he just forgot.
Maybe he tried to throw his wicket away but somehow middled everything

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't the Qayyum report recommend Waqar Younis and Ijaz Ahmed never to be given responsibility within the PCB? Fast forward 10 years or so and Waqar is coaching the side and Ijaz has coached Pak U19 and is now working with the senior side.

What do you expect of the players when your own coaches have been heavily implicated in match fixing and corruption...

Teja.

Global Moderator
Didn't the Qayyum report recommend Waqar Younis and Ijaz Ahmed never to be given responsibility within the PCB? Fast forward 10 years or so and Waqar is coaching the side and Ijaz has coached Pak U19 and is now working with the senior side.

What do you expect of the players when your own coaches have been heavily implicated in match fixing and corruption...
I think you are confusing Waqar with Wasim.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I think you are confusing Waqar with Wasim.
No, Wasim was let off as Qayyum was a fan. Waqar was implicated in match fixing on a tour of New Zealand circa 1993/4, accepting a car for match fixing and general allegations of match fixing throughout the 1990s. According to the report, he wasn't done as they didn't have enough evidence but enough to case doubt. Mushy was also told never to be given a position of authority (though he went on to work for the PCB) and serious doubts were cast over him but he is coaching with England now...

tooextracool

International Coach
Did you watch that innings? He must have had at least 5 lives. It was Pietersen-esque.

tooextracool

International Coach
Was he dropped at any point? Only read reports of it and in the South African cricketing annual it regarded the innings as a fine 74...
Im trying to find a bulletin on the game on cricinfo. According to this article (South Africa hold their nerves to win another close finish | Report | Cricket News | Cricinfo.com) he was dropped by Kumble and Tendulkar on 31 and 53, though from memory there was a missed stumping as well. Granted he might have already crossed 20 at this point but he batted like a guy trying to get out the whole game.

Evermind

International Debutant
Assuming no one gets arrested, most probable outcome, going by the way it has always been with Pakistani cricket:

- ICC to scared/indifferent to do anything, they leave PCB in charge of the affair
- PCB, being a corrupt institution inside-out, "bans" seven players for life
- In three months, life-ban is reduced to 2-year ban
- All 7 players are back on the field by the time the world cup comes along

It's a disgrace that obvious cheats like Afridi and Asif are still playing cricket. I don't know how the other teams manage to play cricket against Pakistan and actually take it seriously.

It's downright hilarious to hear people say "the PCB should do something". It's like going to Don Corleone and complaining about injustice on the streets.

Pakistan should be banned from all cricket for about 5 years, and all of the players implicated banned for life. I can't think of anything less that would do.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cricket can officially confirm itself as a joke sport by not banning Pakistan and the PCB for a fair while and implementing some really heavy duty policing of teams during series'.

tooextracool

International Coach
Why can't Salman say whether are the allegations are true or not?

Butt: These are just allegations and anybody can stand out and say anything, it doesn't mean they are true. They include quite a few people and they are still ongoing. We'll see what happens.

The allegations involving you - are they true or false?

Butt: I haven't heard any allegation except someone just taking my name. There is nothing that I've seen or shown on TV, nothing that involves me.

Certainly an answer like that sounds very suspect to be honest. To me these are indirect answers to the question and hes yet to deny any off what hes been accused for.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Given the bloke is about to be pulled into a criminal investigation tbh I'd have advised him to tell the interviewer to foxtrot oscar

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Surely these guys are seeking legal advice. If they haven't yet, they better get to it.