• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

Matt79

Global Moderator
If the excuse that "I'm too young/unworldly/uneducated" is going to be allowed, then we need to think about this another way and impose age and educational restrictions on who can play international cricket. Otherwise we can simply say "you're 18+, you're playing with the big kids, taking the big kid rewards, and with the big kid rules"

masterblaster

International Captain
I also think that there needs to be some sort of deterrant to prevent other young players from going down the same path. If you are going to sell yourself out, sell your team out and sell your country out you are going to get banned for life. There should be no excuses.

Spark

Global Moderator
Agreed with everything above. Realistically the only thing that can save Amir from a very, very long ban is if he wasn't actually taking money, but was rather merely "following orders".

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Didn't Gibbs get off (relatively) lightly because he ultimately decided not to throw away his wicket as planned? I don't think his age had much to do with it.

cover drive man

International Captain
I honestly have no idea, but that, I assume, is why it was brought up.
No, the news of the world have done nothing but try to get people to torture him. Also on the claim that the news of the world are usually right on these "investigations", what about the max mosley case ffs? Why has it just been forgotten that his son also happenned to kill himself after all the trouble? Oh yeah that's right, the media decide what's right and wrong and always fair.

I'm not having a go at you spark it's just something I detest.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
They say a picture says a 1000 words. Just check the grumpy look on ECB chairmen Giles Clarke here. Says it all really.

Also i thought this one was a bit humorous for some reason.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
This was the Mosley case where the debate was "is it a Nazi *** orgy" or "is it a Germanic *** orgy", where the judgement sided with Mosley because the other conclusion, that Germanic = Nazi, was too unpalatable?

Summary from Wiki:

The principal factual dispute between the parties was whether there was any "Nazi" or "deathcamp" element to the incident. The claimant denied this as did four of the prostitutes. On the fourth day of the trial it was revealed that News Group Newspapers Limited would place no further reliance on "Woman E" the prostitute who had recorded the incident and eventually received £20,000 (approx. $31,000) for doing so. The lawyers representing Mr Mosley contended that the video represented a ""standard” S-and-M prison scenario".

The News of the World published a 10 point rebuttal of the suggestion that there was no Nazi element to the activities of Mr Mosley:

1.Two hookers wore German military jackets with eagle and tunic collars.
2.Three of the vice girls wore striped prison uniforms.
3.Mosley played a death camp inmate – guards checked him for lice and took measurements with a clipboard.
4.He is told to face the floor as girl signs for him on clipboard.
5.One ‘guard’ uses the term ‘facility’ – the sort of clinical language associated with Nazis.
6.Mosley gives out brutal beatings – like concentration camps.
7.He is shaved – just like the Jews.
8.Other camp ‘victims’ are forced to watch their friends being abused.
9.Mosley speaks in German.
10.He uses fake German accent to speak English.

Mr Justice Eady suggested that equating everything German with Nazism was offensive. He concluded that there was nothing specific to the Nazi period about the medical examination nor the fact that the claimant had his head shaved. Eady also concluded that the use of an English nom de guerre weakened the suggestion that there was a Nazi element to the incident. Eady suggested that the prison uniforms did nothing to identify the Nazi era. The News of the World relied upon an exclamation by one of the women who stated "“Brunettes rule!". It was suggested that this could be considered a reference to Nazi racial policies. Mr Mosley is yet to account for the ten points outlined in the rebuttal.

This doesn't undermine the NOTW's investigative methods in any way.

I cannot see any circumstance wherein these two no-balls were not deliberate.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
If the excuse that "I'm too young/unworldly/uneducated" is going to be allowed, then we need to think about this another way and impose age and educational restrictions on who can play international cricket. Otherwise we can simply say "you're 18+, you're playing with the big kids, taking the big kid rewards, and with the big kid rules"
No. For two reasons:

1. Someone that young may well be able to claim legitimately that he was naive and impressionable. It's hard to imagine any system of justice that didn't take that sort of mitigating factor into account.

2. Across-the-board life bans would hit him even harder than the more senior players.A life ban for an 18-year-old might effectively last for 15 years (ie until he reaches retirement age at c33). For a 27-year-old like Asif (who is older, more experienced and has a dreadful disciplinary record) it might only be half that.

cover drive man

International Captain
What gives them the right to post (very often voyeristic) pictures of *** sessions anyway!? Why do we need to know that?

But Neil's post is quite fair. But it is wikipedia...

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
No, the news of the world have done nothing but try to get people to torture him. Also on the claim that the news of the world are usually right on these "investigations", what about the max mosley case ffs? Why has it just been forgotten that his son also happenned to kill himself after all the trouble? Oh yeah that's right, the media decide what's right and wrong and always fair.

I'm not having a go at you spark it's just something I detest.
I can't begin to express my contempt for the NOTW but I don't accept for a moment that this video has somehow been fabricated, which is the only way in which this could be a newspaper falsification. And FTR Max Moseley's son didn't commit suicide.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
What gives them the right to post (very often voyeristic) pictures of *** sessions anyway!? Why do we need to know that?

We don't need to know it - ultimately that's the reason why NOTW lost the case.

It doesn't mean it didn't happen, though, so it can't really be used as a valid parallel to this sting.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member

Tbf, you could argue that people have the right to know if the money that they pay to watch F1 is (in a minor way) going to someone who gets off on Nazism. I don't know if I would argue that, but it has a theoretical element of validity to it.