• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't see how you could make such allegations with absolutely nothing behind them and get away with it frankly.
Surely the NOTW must have genuine stuff to back up what they're reporting or it's slander of the highest order, surely?
The scum quotient of the NOTW should never be underestimated. That said, this is a classic sting with video evidence etc and I'd expect it to have a lot of truth behind it. Much will turn on the detail which is yet to be revealed. "There will be 2 no-balls tomorrow" is not the most precise or impressive of predictions / promises.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
The scum quotient of the NOTW should never be underestimated. That said, this is a classic sting with video evidence etc and I'd expect it to have a lot of truth behind it. Much will turn on the detail which is yet to be revealed. "There will be 2 no-balls tomorrow" is not the most precise or impressive of predictions / promises.
tbf though, there's never smoke without fire. The video evidence i've seen looks rather damning.

As this gradually unfolds throughout the morning, surely there must be a cloud over tomorrow's play.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Have to say I posted in the series thread about Aamer's no ball at the time, saying something like it was the biggest one I've seen.

NotW wouldn't be naming names unless they were on fairly solid grounds, would they?

Really don't know what to hope for the best.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
"There will be 2 no-balls tomorrow" is not the most precise or impressive of predictions / promises.
Haha yea. I'm sure it was more deliberate, like giving the exact time/over when it will happen, or that they will happen in a row. That would make more sense from a betting perspective.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Do enough people really bet on when a no ball will be delivered to chuck £140k at someone?
Yeah, surely.

The most popular off-the-counter cricket betting happens on a ball-by-ball basis. Like betting on how many runs will be scored in the next ball, etc.

Now, don't ask me how I know all these :)

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, in India there are millions of dollars in bets placed on every single part of the match.

I hope this isn't true, but if it is, it underlies the need for a more equitable distribution of wealth, perhaps by that Test Championship that's often mentioned. You're never going to get rid of it when some teams make nothing while others make millions.
I can personally vouch for the first part.

Agree completely with the second part.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
In a video secretly recorded during the NOTW investigation, a man alleged to be Mazher is clearly heard predicting that Amir would bowl the first over of the England innings, and that he would deliver a no-ball from the first ball of the third over - which as Cricinfo's ball-by-ball commentary noted: "was an enormous no-ball, good half a metre over the line." The man also appeared to correctly predict a no-ball from the sixth ball of the tenth over, bowled this time by Asif.

^ from Cricinfo

This looks bad. Very bad. :(

Spudsy2061

U19 Cricketer
I just think if these things happened, this crap would end:

If the ICC just forced all players to agree that a conviction in match-fixing means:
a) The players must forfeit all match fees overlooked by the ICC
and
b) They were banned for life from the sport

^^^ You wouldn't see anyone trying anything if this came true.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
**** this is really sad for the game. One day these guys are all the sanctimonious pricks donating half their game fees for charity and then we know they do that because they receive a bigger package from the bookies. Sad day for cricket.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I just think if these things happened, this crap would end:

If the ICC just forced all players to agree that a conviction in match-fixing means:
a) The players must forfeit all match fees overlooked by the ICC
and
b) They were banned for life from the sport

^^^ You wouldn't see anyone trying anything if this came true.
You still would. Making something a really bad idea doesn't mean people won't do it. See Thai drug smugglers for details.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
In a video secretly recorded during the NOTW investigation, a man alleged to be Mazher is clearly heard predicting that Amir would bowl the first over of the England innings, and that he would deliver a no-ball from the first ball of the third over - which as Cricinfo's ball-by-ball commentary noted: "was an enormous no-ball, good half a metre over the line." The man also appeared to correctly predict a no-ball from the sixth ball of the tenth over, bowled this time by Asif.

^ from Cricinfo

This looks bad. Very bad. :(
Oh crap. :(