Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 138 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: ***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
    If it is true then its about time the ICC stopped bottling it and just banned all those involved for life. Wont happen though!
    As far as I know, any proven allegation of match fixing has always resulted in a ban for life.....

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
    NOTW rarely get it wrong with the filmed stings like this. But i would say the article is totally misleading as well as the headline. Fixing deliberate noballs is not fixing the result of the Test match which they are making out is what happened.
    Yea, it's still just as bad though. It's the very fabric of sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Hmm - drip feeding the rest of the media eh?

Not that I'm suggesting the NOTW would do anything wrong but how many copies of tomorrows paper will they sell that wouldn't have been sold otherwise - 100,000? more?

Then there will be follow ups next week and for a few weeks thereafter and more sales and, presumably, advertising

Would be a real bargain to bung some random 35 year old Pakistani gentleman a few quid to make these allegations

.... but a journal with the integrity of NOTW would never do that, of course

BBC News now reporting the same,this could turn out to be something very dark for cricket,the names being mentioned are very disappointing if true.

I don't see how you could make such allegations with absolutely nothing behind them and get away with it frankly.
    Surely the NOTW must have genuine stuff to back up what they're reporting or it's slander of the highest order, surely?

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Well if he gets convicted what then?
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    I don't see how you could make such allegations with absolutely nothing behind them and get away with it frankly.
    Surely the NOTW must have genuine stuff to back up what they're reporting or it's slander of the highest order, surely?
    The scum quotient of the NOTW should never be underestimated. That said, this is a classic sting with video evidence etc and I'd expect it to have a lot of truth behind it. Much will turn on the detail which is yet to be revealed. "There will be 2 no-balls tomorrow" is not the most precise or impressive of predictions / promises.

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The scum quotient of the NOTW should never be underestimated. That said, this is a classic sting with video evidence etc and I'd expect it to have a lot of truth behind it. Much will turn on the detail which is yet to be revealed. "There will be 2 no-balls tomorrow" is not the most precise or impressive of predictions / promises.
    tbf though, there's never smoke without fire. The video evidence i've seen looks rather damning.

As this gradually unfolds throughout the morning, surely there must be a cloud over tomorrow's play.

Have to say I posted in the series thread about Aamer's no ball at the time, saying something like it was the biggest one I've seen.

NotW wouldn't be naming names unless they were on fairly solid grounds, would they?

Really don't know what to hope for the best.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    "There will be 2 no-balls tomorrow" is not the most precise or impressive of predictions / promises.
    Haha yea. I'm sure it was more deliberate, like giving the exact time/over when it will happen, or that they will happen in a row. That would make more sense from a betting perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Have to say I posted in the series thread about Aamer's ball at the time, saying something like it was the biggest one I've seen.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    ?
    Quite so. 18"-24" IMHO.

What a great day today has been for the Pakistan team

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Not Amir.

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Do enough people really bet on when a no ball will be delivered to chuck 140k at someone?
    Yeah, surely.

The most popular off-the-counter cricket betting happens on a ball-by-ball basis. Like betting on how many runs will be scored in the next ball, etc.

Now, don't ask me how I know all these
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Yes, in India there are millions of dollars in bets placed on every single part of the match.

I hope this isn't true, but if it is, it underlies the need for a more equitable distribution of wealth, perhaps by that Test Championship that's often mentioned. You're never going to get rid of it when some teams make nothing while others make millions.
    I can personally vouch for the first part.

Agree completely with the second part.

Page 2 of 138 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread Information