• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wonder what this will mean for the scheduled Pakistan tour of NZ this summer. Tbh I'd rather have another team replace them.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
One of the fall-outs of this episode is going to be that players are going to be really wary of appearing to make glaring mistakes on the field. There's always going to be a question mark on anything that seems out of the ordinary.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If it comes out that this is true and that the players were involved, then I'm sorry, but the only thing that can come out of this is that Pakistan is booted out of international cricket. It's such a shame because they have a lot of promising young players. However, the country is unable to host home matches and will now forever be questioned whenever they take the field. This is not a good situation for world cricket.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Andrew Miller is currently at the Pakistan press conference and here is the latest: Salman Butt has been asked straight up, did Pakistan deliberately lose the Sydney Test. He did not answer, while Yawar Saeed changed the subject. Are you going to resign Butt is asked? "Why?" Salman replies. "We won a Test against Australia after 15 years, and against England." Can the ODI series take place? "As far as I am concerned, it is on," says Yawar.
Wac.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
One of the fall-outs of this episode is going to be that players are going to be really wary of appearing to make glaring mistakes on the field. There's always going to be a question mark on anything that seems out of the ordinary.
Thats exactly it. In this ODIs coming up if one of the Pakistani players bowls a really bad NB or Wide or drops an easy catch, you know what everyones going to think. I'd be so scared to even play knowing that! :ph34r:

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Looking forward to waking up tommorow morning and seeing the latest headlines.

Should be real interesting.

Sir Alex

Banned
YouTube - Pakistni player match fixing video talk 1

The third no-ball...

Very interesting... just before the over, the bookie called up the reporter-in-disguise and warned him that it may not happen, because Pakistan just had taken 4 wickets in 2 overs or something like that. And added that due to the momentum, they will look at taking more wickets and would not be willing to change the course of the match (Am not a native speaker of English, but that's what I could gather from the closing statements by the bookie, some Eng members can certainly clarify this)

cover drive man

International Captain
So they made up the Gary Glitter stuff,the Sven meeting with an Arab etc....

These stings they do are generally very reliable.It is other parts of the newspaer reporting team that make stuff up.
Why do you go from something as terrible as child abuse onto football espionage? They're hardly the same. I've mentioned my views on the media many times in the off topic and I'm sorry I'm not going into it in a part of the site dedicated to cricket.

Come on, CDM. I know you like to take the contrary view occasionally just to spice things up, but which part of the video footage do you think is made up?
Yeah I suppose that's fair but like I mentioned it shouldn't give any credit to the news of the world which has done much more bad than good in it's time. Up to the level of serious crime. But anyway, I'll shut up now :p

Spark

Global Moderator
Why do you go from something as terrible as child abuse onto football espionage? They're hardly the same. I've mentioned my views on the media many times in the off topic and I'm sorry I'm not going into it in a part of the site dedicated to cricket.
The link, I assume, is that they were effective and high-quality undercover investigative 'stings' carried out by NOTW in the same way as this, which gives this more credibility.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Reckon Amir will plead "young and impressionable" and get off with a slap on the wrist for this. But Asif with his chequered history...this might be the last time we see him play...

masterblaster

International Captain
Apparently, Afridi has come out in the open saying that he quit test cricket because of rampant matchfixing.

Bit rich of him to say that now.
Agreed. Says the guy who was biting into a cricket ball like it was an apple and blatently being caught for ball tampering. Pakistan should be removed from International Cricket for a while. They really need to get their house in order. There is no room for cheats in this game and I don't care how young or talented you are, you should've thought of that before selling out.

I would be satisfied with life bans for Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Aamir if they are found guilty. In the case of Mohammad Asif, it seems like the idiot doesn't learn. From steroids to being caught with illegal drugs in the Middle East and now match fixing, he needs to be banned from the game.

Last edited:

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
FFS, he's eighteen, not eight, he's not a child, if he's old enough to play cricket for his country, he's old enough to be banned from it.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
FFS, he's eighteen, not eight, he's not a child, if he's old enough to play cricket for his country, he's old enough to be banned from it.
Agreed, but there's a precedent of young players getting off for this kind of bull**** (think Gibbs), and especially in a system as corrupt as Pakistan's I can't see him being held to account, especially given how popular he is. Reckon 2 or 3 players (most likely Kamran and Asif) will be held up as sacrificial lambs, and charges against the rest will get swept under the rug or only lightly punished.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agree 100%. There's no way that any professional player would think that accepting money from a bookie in exchange for performing in a certain way is wrong. It's not as if spot-fixing is a new thing either; Kaneria got arrested for allegedly doing it in county cricket a couple of months ago. He wasn't charged in the end, but if for some reason Amir hadn't known of it before, you can be damn sure he would've known of it after that.