• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All I can say is thank **** I had Amir bowling a no ball in the 3rd over as the last leg of my multi. Made a mint!

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh I agree. I was just being facetious. I have been censured by Ding Dong and have now realised the error of my ways :ph34r:
Sorry - whoosh.

In other news, I should point out that "facetious" is an outstanding word, given its noble combination and ordering of vowels.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I wish gambling on sport (outside of horse-racing I suppose) didn't happen. But that's unlikely to be the case ever.

uninteresting tidbit-
Was reading up on the history of cricket not too long ago and it's interesting to note that one particular academic attributed the rise of professionalism in cricket to the interest that the bookies had in the game.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Was reading up on the history of cricket not too long ago and it's interesting to note that one particular academic attributed the rise of professionalism in cricket to the interest that the bookies had in the game.
Derek Birley in The Willow Wand? A great book that should offer any despairing cricket fans a bit of valuable perspective in the current circumstances.

Craig

World Traveller
Yep. Some of the individuals caught up in past money-making misdeeds have not been poorly paid. I can't imagine Hansie was all that hard up, and Warne certainly wasn't underpaid (or for that matter underfed).
I suppose if somebody came up to you and offered $150k to bowl a no-ball, which to the average person, would just look like a regulation no-ball that just happens in a game, and something nobody would think twice of, I can see why they might be tempted.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Derek Birley in The Willow Wand? A great book that should offer any despairing cricket fans a bit of valuable perspective in the current circumstances.
Can't remember the name of the author. I was just going through the uni database

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I suppose if somebody came up to you and offered $150k to bowl a no-ball, which to the average person, would just look like a regulation no-ball that just happens in a game, and something nobody would think twice of, I can see why they might be tempted.
Yep. Money for jam.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In the 70's whenever we played India the TMS commentators used to speculate every morning about what colour patka Bedi would wear - we can now see what a missed opportunity for dear old Bish that was - 'appen its why he's always so grumpy

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think this will be hard to prove against most of the cricketers conclusively and one or two will cop the blame like was the case with the South African team where the likes of Gibbs ,Boje were named but not convicted .Also Waugh and warne and others .

Depends what other evidence is there except for this sting. Butt seems the man who is going to take the most slap.But lets not just depend on a sting by the NOTW.For all we know BUTT might have refused the bookie and he could be trying to frame them or just boast to the NOTW reporter who went their as a fixer.
Nah, this would have to be one of the easier cases to prove, frankly. Provided the clip can be proven to pre-date the game.

It beggars belief it's a coincidence, and as for the idea any of the players is trying to frame the bookie, please. Why the no-balls then? Why wouldn't the captain go to the authorities before play?

Nah mate, this stinks to high heaven.

In fact, it's so bad I reckon the PCB will suspend the players for at least 6 weeks.

Craig

World Traveller
Nah, this would have to be one of the easier cases to prove, frankly. Provided the clip can be proven to pre-date the game.

It beggars belief it's a coincidence, and as for the idea any of the players is trying to frame the bookie, please. Why the no-balls then? Why wouldn't the captain go to the authorities before play?

Nah mate, this stinks to high heaven.

In fact, it's so bad I reckon the PCB will suspend the players for at least 6 weeks.
And then it will be reduced to 45 minutes :dry:

shivfan

Banned
Yeah, there's a precedent with Herschelle Gibbs and the other guy getting 6 month bans. Although that was partly because Gibbs ****ed up his end of the deal and actually scored runs.

Although the only real argument I've got against Amir getting a life ban is that I think he's a gun and I really love watching him bowl. That's not a great argument.
Well, Marlon Samuels got a two-year ban for much less than what Asif and Amir have done, so I'd recommend at least a two-year ban from all cricket....

irottev

U19 Cricketer
I personally think Asif should be banned for life. Wasn't he already banned for like a year for performance enhancing drugs? Second offense should be much more severe.

The ICC are too soft on this stuff sadly.