• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

stumpski

International Captain
Anyone know what the odds of the first ball of the day being a no-ball is?
Odds on a wicket should be shorter if yesterday was anything to go by.

Heh, just the 250-odd posts since I went to bed, then.

It'll be very interesting to see what happens this morning, suspect the match will continue as planned though.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I think this will be hard to prove against most of the cricketers conclusively and one or two will cop the blame like was the case with the South African team where the likes of Gibbs ,Boje were named but not convicted .Also Waugh and warne and others .

Depends what other evidence is there except for this sting. Butt seems the man who is going to take the most slap.But lets not just depend on a sting by the NOTW.For all we know BUTT might have refused the bookie and he could be trying to frame them or just boast to the NOTW reporter who went their as a fixer.

Matt79

Global Moderator
If the NOTW know what they're doing, they will have made sure they can prove WHEN the video was made. If that can be substantiated, then there's not really any plausible explanation other than it is precisely what it appears to be.

Can't imagine anyone will actually want to play the last day of this match. If Pakistan were to try and play, I wouldn't blame the English at all for refusing to take the field against them. Wear the loss - everyone will know the context. Statements need to start being made about what is acceptable and what isn't.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
If the NOTW know what they're doing, they will have made sure they can prove WHEN the video was made. If that can be substantiated, then there's not really any plausible explanation other than it is precisely what it appears to be.
I thought this too, but on reflection the question of when the video was made is not really an issue. It doesn't appear to be disputed that the chap on the video is Majeed. And it's been admitted that Majeed is connected with the Pakistan team, albeit not in an official capacity. And what he says on the video is saying what will happen. Once you watch the video, it's very difficult indeed to see how this could have been recorded after the event unless Majeed was a knowing participant. Which, given that the sting was against him, and has led to his arrest, seems improbable.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I thought this too, but on reflection the question of when the video was made is not really an issue. It doesn't appear to be disputed that the chap on the video is Majeed. And it's been admitted that Majeed is connected with the Pakistan team, albeit not in an official capacity. And what he says on the video is saying what will happen. Once you watch the video, it's very difficult indeed to see how this could have been recorded after the event unless Majeed was a knowing participant. Which, given that the sting was against him, and has led to his arrest, seems improbable.
Yeah, exactly. A couple of people have offered the - I think rather plaintive - suggestion that it's all a fix up concocted after the event, which is highly unlikely on several fronts, but as I said, it is easy enough to confirm the date/time of a video like that, and having regularly employed this kind of sting, you'd think they'd make sure they did so. But even if they didn't, it is just very unlikely that Majeed would cooperate in some kind of scam who's endgame was getting himself arrested.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I hope this isn't true, but if it is, it underlies the need for a more equitable distribution of wealth, perhaps by that Test Championship that's often mentioned. You're never going to get rid of it when some teams make nothing while others make millions.
If you wanted to absolutely make sure a Test Championship never took off, that would be the way to do it. There is no way the big 3 are going to agree to that, commie. And I wouldn't blame them for their stance.

Besides, fixing occurs because of lax morals and greed, not necessarily because you're paid less. Corruption and the desire to make a quick buck exists at every level. At a guess, I'd say the Pakistani cricketers are paid handsomely compared to the rest of their countrymen. I don't think they're paid any lesser than their Lankan, West Indian, Bangladeshi or Zimbabwean counterparts too. The Lankan and West Indian players didn't go about fixing incidents on the field when they went through spells of not even being paid by their boards. Well, not that we know of. The bottomline is greed. Nothing else. Let's stop making excuses.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
You can't read anything into that. The batsman was probably going for a glory shot, so its ok.
Maybe, but when you combine the size of the no ball with the fact that a no ball had been predicted / promised in advance for that specific delivery, you can read a great deal into it.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, I don't think the "pay relative to other countries" argument means much. They're paid well enough that they shouldn't be forced by poverty into this corruption, after that it's simply a question of the amount of money available for the corrupt. And around the world in all cultures, there's plenty of evidence to suggest that the rich are just as prone as any one else to breaking the rules to make some extra money.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've always been suspicious but now I'm really starting to hate the idea of betting on sports in general.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I don't think the "pay relative to other countries" argument means much. They're paid well enough that they shouldn't be forced by poverty into this corruption, after that it's simply a question of the amount of money available for the corrupt. And around the world in all cultures, there's plenty of evidence to suggest that the rich are just as prone as any one else to breaking the rules to make some extra money.
Yep. Some of the individuals caught up in past money-making misdeeds have not been poorly paid. I can't imagine Hansie was all that hard up, and Warne certainly wasn't underpaid (or for that matter underfed).

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, exactly. A couple of people have offered the - I think rather plaintive - suggestion that it's all a fix up concocted after the event, which is highly unlikely on several fronts, but as I said, it is easy enough to confirm the date/time of a video like that, and having regularly employed this kind of sting, you'd think they'd make sure they did so. But even if they didn't, it is just very unlikely that Majeed would cooperate in some kind of scam who's endgame was getting himself arrested.
I've certainly stated we don't know both sides of this story and that for me the NOTW is not necessarily to be trusted - that said it doesn't look good I have to accept. As for Mr Majeed as he seems to be the sort of man who's available to the highest bidder so I'm sure he'd be happy to manipulate a situation against himself if his price for doing so were to be met

Matt79

Global Moderator
I've always been suspicious but now I'm really starting to hate the idea of betting on sports in general.
Yeah, I wish gambling on sport (outside of horse-racing I suppose) didn't happen. But that's unlikely to be the case ever.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I've certainly stated we don't know both sides of this story and that for me the NOTW is not necessarily to be trusted - that said it doesn't look good I have to accept. As for Mr Majeed as he seems to be the sort of man who's available to the highest bidder so I'm sure he'd be happy to manipulate a situation against himself if his price for doing so were to be met
So we mustn't leap to conclusions about the Pakistan players, but can form whatever conclusions we like about Majeed? :huh:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Maybe, but when you combine the size of the no ball with the fact that a no ball had been predicted / promised in advance for that specific delivery, you can read a great deal into it.
Oh I agree. I was just being facetious. I have been censured by Ding Dong and have now realised the error of my ways :ph34r: