• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

Quaggas

State Captain
That's the thing about allegations like this. Trust is completely blown. One year is ludicrously low. You can't have anything except blanket lifetime bans.

Nah, the problem goes deeper than just a few players. If rookies who've barely played international cricket are already involved in things like this, there's clearly an deep rooted problem with the whole of Pakistan cricket.

Aamer is involved precisely because the ringleaders saw him as an impressionable kid.

Note that I have assumed only the no balls in this test as fact. Should proof of years of ("endemic") match fixing come to light, things would have to be harsher. But even so, banning Pakistan from cricket is still nonsense; the appropriate response would be for the Pakistan Government to sack everyone at the PCB and start afresh. I don't see how you can destroy cricket in Pakistan down to the grass roots-level just because the top brass might be/are corrupt.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If anything the pitch in the 2nd test was fixed. :laugh:

Joking aside, that test was a PROPER contest, not a fix, so I agree, he needs to STFU.
Would have thought the quick wickets in the Sri Lankan 2nd innings in the 2nd test would be the thing to point the finger at if accusing any of those tests of being influenced by spot/match fixing.

trapol

U19 12th Man
How have I taken this off topic?

I have said it's a much bigger problem than just this one instance

I know for a FACT that the tensports crew ALL believe that something fishy happened in the third test match of that series and I merely passed that on.

I will reiterate my point this is a much bigger issue than some on here who continue to bury their heads in the sand believe

But if this post is unreasonable please say and I'll stop posting asap

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Aamer is involved precisely because the ringleaders saw him as an impressionable kid.

Note that I have assumed only the no balls in this test as fact. Should proof of years of ("endemic") match fixing come to light, things would have to be harsher. But even so, banning Pakistan from cricket is still nonsense; the appropriate response would be for the Pakistan Government to sack everyone at the PCB and start afresh. I don't see how you can destroy cricket in Pakistan down to the grass roots-level just because the top brass might be/are corrupt.
There is no difference in the Pakistani government and top level of PCB.....it's all political appointments.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I don't think it is considering their horrible track record. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
Was going to post exactly this with regards to the Pakistan team. There's a limit to how many times serious problems that suggest a fundamental problem with the character and conduct of one team and its support staff and board can occur before you come to the conclusion that there IS a fundamental problem.

Matt79

Global Moderator

How would a suspension for a set term while the house is put in order destroy cricket at a grass-roots level?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The sickest part is I used to stay up in the US all night just to see some awesome fast bowling displays from Pakistan.

I'm not even a Pakistani fan and I feel betrayed - can't imagine how Pakistani fans feel. So disgusted.

Spark

Global Moderator
The sickest part is I used to stay up in the US all night just to see some awesome fast bowling displays from Pakistan.

I'm not even a Pakistani fan and I feel betrayed - can't imagine how Pakistani fans feel. So disgusted.
Same, and I only just started "following" them this series.

Quaggas

State Captain
How would a suspension for a set term while the house is put in order destroy cricket at a grass-roots level?
OK, "destroy" is too harsh a word. But development feeds off a stream of involvement at the highest level. Now if the Pakistan government voluntarily said, OK, we cannot field a credible team for the next six (say) months while we put our house in order, that's a different matter. For the rest of the cricket world to step in and outright ban Pakistan for any length of time smacks of hypocrisy.

Spudsy2061

U19 Cricketer
This kind of post is also out-of-line in the context of this discussion. We're talking about the conduct of the Pakistan cricket team, and by reasonable extension the culture of the cricket establishment there. Crude generalisations about the entire nation and what is basically abuse of the country can best be conducted at another website please.
Then shall I try to put it in a different, less-blunt perspective? What I am trying to get at is that if the cricketing culture isn't so drenching in the thick mud of turning a blind eye to it's otherwise glaring faults, as was proven in the interview Test Match Special did with the PCB chairman during the 3rd test on the ball-tampering incident from 2006, and the PCB didn't take such a laizze-faire attitude with the corruption that clearly plagues that organization, then I don't think any of this would have happened. That being said you can ask where the corruption came from in the first place, and I would believe it could be somewhat of the government's poor example in the past 20 years that could have been a case. Basically, the government leads by example in some cases, and I'm sure if England was like Pakistan in financial and political climate, then England and it's players would face a load of match-fixing scandals too. That being said, no this is not directly the government's fault, but the corruption seen by heads of state there can easily rub off on heads of important organizations that are based there. Now I know you can argue the corruption of other modern day free-world nations like England and the United States, and to that I have no answer, it certainly is a loop hole in my argument, but alas the possibility of the fact that the political and moral climate there having not been so well established to say the least could have ultimately had an effect in the greater scheme of things. Of course you can argue against this too with the Warne-Waugh incident, and alas you would find another hole in my argument. In the end I could also be reading too deep into things here, and then of course my whole argument is in vain, but I would at least like to present the idea of the fact that since Pakistan as a country are only 80-odd some years old, and they are not certainly as modern or economically buoyant as other Test nations then certainly these hardships can make certain people easier to persuade into doing shady things than others.

Matt79

Global Moderator
OK, "destroy" is too harsh a word. But development feeds off a stream of involvement at the highest level. Now if the Pakistan government voluntarily said, OK, we cannot field a credible team for the next six (say) months while we put our house in order, that's a different matter. For the rest of the cricket world to step in and outright ban Pakistan for any length of time smacks of hypocrisy.
Why would it seem hypocritical? In all honesty, I would have thought grass-roots cricket would be pretty severely disrupted at the moment anyway due to the disaster over there. (That's not a justification for doing it - I think it should be done regardless - but I don't see that 'harm to grass roots cricket' is a compelling reason not to ban them).

If anything, forcing them to get a proper management would in the long term undoubtedly be the best thing for cricket at all levels, and I think they need to be sat out of international cricket while/for that to occur.

Last edited:

Lostman

State Captain
Came back home and just saw this, I am absolutely disgusted.
Life bans from the ICC, anything else and this game is gone, also it would be a joke to continue with this test in this environment.

I saw a few people commented on this as well, but how bad does this look for Butt?

Lostman

State Captain
On another slightly related note, Randiv is probably sitting around somewhere in Colombo ****ting bricks hoping that the ACU doesn't want to talk to him about his no-ball.