• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Wow, never expected him and Buttocks to admit it. But too late!!! Terrible human being but such a wonderful bowler.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wish it had come to you and you had charged him a truck load of money. The only problem is you would have saved him. So it is better that he is where he is.
He had legal aid so the truck would have been about the size of a Dinky toy - it would also have been reduced in size by virtue of the fact that I find it difficult to believe that the right advice to him was anything other than to plead guilty. Of course as a lawyer you have to do as you are instructed, and client's arms should never be twisted, but I can't help wondering how strong the advice that Asif was given about the credibility of his denials was

And the other thing lawyers are, of course, required to do is to always put their clients interests above their own, and I have no reason to believe that Asif's legal team did anything other than scrupulously follow that requirement, but 'tis a fact that they would have picked up an awful lot more money for the trial than they would have for a guilty plea. But just to labour the point I have not the slightest reason to believe that that came into their thoughts at all, 'cos it wouldn't, as we just don't think about money - ours is a selfless way of life devoted solely to the pursuit of justice and the greater good of all mankind with nary a thought as to how we'll line our own pockets with tax-payer's money

HeathDavisSpeed

A bit unrelated, but down the same path.

I see the snooker player Stephen Lee has been found guilty of systematic match fixing. Deliberately losing frames and even matches for cash. He even deliberately lost a match at the World Championships in order to pocket dough, according to the ruling.

My question about this is - given the high profile nature of the offending (yes, I know it's snooker but still), why isn't he facing criminal charges when cricket spot-fixers have faced such?

I guess some of this could be the burden of proof and that maybe the view is that the evidence against Lee isn't quite strong enough to hold up in a court of law, but if Snooker wants to stamp out this behaviour, why not press charges?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It would depend on who stood to gain from Lee's fixing. The Pakistani trio were done for a conspiracy to defraud bookmakers IIRC, I'd imagine if the Crown could get enough on Lee then he'll end up facing similar charges.

fredfertang

I would be surprised if the Police and CPS weren't sniffing around, and if they're not I thing Butt, Asif and Amir would be more than justified in crying foul on racial discrimination grounds, or even fattist discrimination

HeathDavisSpeed

I would be surprised if the Police and CPS weren't sniffing around, and if they're not I thing Butt, Asif and Amir would be more than justified in crying foul on racial discrimination grounds, or even fattist discrimination
I actually read somewhere on the weekend that it was felt that there wasn't enough evidence to convict Lee in a criminal case, but the burden of evidence required for snooker's judiciary wasn't quite as heavy, hence the CPS were highly unlikely to pursue criminal charges.