• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chris Cairns vs Shane Watson

Himannv

International Coach
Not a big fan of his, but I reckon Watson is the better player of the two. Can be a pretty decent top order bat and more than handy with the ball. Still, he has a lot more left to prove.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chris Cairns in every way at every level of the game. They've had eerily similar paths, though.

Jezroy

State Captain
Cairns - late 90's/early 2000's that guy was a fantastic bowler despite the fact his body was packing in in so many ways. The way he ripped up the West Indies in Hamilton in 99 was magnificent.

And the way sheer anticipation when he came to the crease to bat - what a shame that he didn't play more.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Chris Cairns in every way at every level of the game. They've had eerily similar paths, though.
Tend to disagree tbh. Too early to judge Watto in Tests, obviously, but in ODIs Watson has freakishly good figures. Over 40 with the bat and under 30 with the ball.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Cairns - late 90's/early 2000's that guy was a fantastic bowler despite the fact his body was packing in in so many ways. The way he ripped up the West Indies in Hamilton in 99 was magnificent.

And the way sheer anticipation when he came to the crease to bat - what a shame that he didn't play more.
Indeed. People forget how superb Cairns was during the late 90s - early 2000s. He was comparable or even slightly better than Flintoff during his 2000s era peak.

Shri

Mr. Glass

The 2000 Knockout final still hurts.:p Dominated Kumble in the end. Been a fan ever since.

Craig

World Traveller
New Zealanders will tend to vote for Cairns, and most Aussies will vote for Watson. Simple.

Lack of irrelevant 3rd option from sledger should result in a 7 day ban IMO.

Zinzan

Shane Watson is a great player, and IMO fast becoming the best player of all time. I think he will go down as an all time legend, and in my books, the best player of all time.

So he is definitely better than some ram rooting hack called Chris Cairns.
Nah, he'll only end up 2nd to Bradman I'm afraid

Zinzan

He is much better than Bradman son. Bradman didn't have to deal with all these world class bowlers with supreme fitness. He just had a few guys who rocked up to games, not the elite athletes Shane Watson is, and competes against.
Wow, you've convinced me. Watson greatest of all-time.