• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chris Cairns vs Shane Watson

thierry henry

International Coach
Would be more inclined to mount a case for Watson in test matches than ODI's itbt.

Cairns' stats are probably deceptively poor, but was the sort of guy who could turn, and win, a match on the back of his performance alone. Probably didn't have the technique and patience to do this at test level as regularly.

I think when the dust settles on their respective careers, Watson will probably have a better test career, and probably better ODI stats, but I think Cairns will always be the more valuable ODI player and Watson a more valuable test asset.
yeah, nah.

Cairns stats are better in tests than ODIs because he was better at tests than ODIs.

In both forms he was a big hittin', fast scorin' batsman who failed too often to be regarded as a genuine batsman despite appearing to have all the skills to do so. I would say in both forms he was of a similar standard- admittedly a fast 50 or 60 is generally more useful in ODIs than tests, but if you look back at Cairns' best performances with the bat they are actually pretty evenly spread between tests and ODIs.

With the ball he was clearly a lot better in tests. Frankly, he was rather sub-par in ODIs. Admittedly this has a bit to do with the fact that he sometimes bowled in ODIs despite being half-injured (bowling 125kph off a short run, that sort of thing). I honestly can't think of another cricketer who bowled as much as Cairns whilst freely admitting that he was not fully fit, and as I recall there were chunks of his career where he didn't play any tests because he wasn't fully fit, but played ODIs.

But nevertheless I think those poor ODI bowling figures over a long career are representative of the fact that he was probably just one of those attacking bowlers who is more effective in tests.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Watson's looking the better batsman now tbf. I'd rate Cairns as a better bowler, though.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Watson's looking the better batsman now tbf. I'd rate Cairns as a better bowler, though.
Was about to say this. Watson's decent as a bowler but I've never seen him look like ripping though a side like Cairns managed a few times. Not since he started being a regular in all formats, anyway.

Himannv

International Coach
Agree with Ed here. I think Cairns was the better bowler and Watson the better batsman.

Flem274*

123/5
Cairns is the better bowler by a long distance, but can't go past Watson for the batting side of things.

Though if Watson really wants to stamp his mark as an allrounder, he needs to start getting those big test match scores rather than fifties.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Cairns, comfortably.

Watson doesn't seem to be bowling quite enough with less than 2 wickets a match.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Watson is a far more solid batting option but you just feel Cairns could always deliver something more special with either bat or ball. WAG

smash84

The Tiger King
WIll have to go with Cains. A more consistent version of Shahid Afridi if you will with the bat and definitely the better bowler than Watson.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
In tests, there's no comparison as they're completely different cricketers. Cairns was a genuine all-rounder. Watson is an opening bat who can trundle some medium-somethings. Watson v Oram would be a better comparison.

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
In disbelief a little at this thread. Hoping by the end of Watson's career the result will be rectified.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
In tests, there's no comparison as they're completely different cricketers. Cairns was a genuine all-rounder. Watson is an opening bat who can trundle some medium-somethings. Watson v Oram would be a better comparison.
Agree. Cairns opened the bowling too plenty of times. Oram vs Watson much better comparison.