You are the captain of a test team. You have to pick a batsman at number 3.
Your options are
1) Ricky Ponting
2) Rahul Dravid
3) Jacques Kallis
Now this is not necessarily NOW hence Ponting's and Dravid's current poor form does not count.
Say this is an imaginary period where Ponting is at his peak scoring century almost every match, Dravid just got his 230 in Adelaide, and Jacques Kallis is averaging 55 with the bat.
1) You are the captain of the team, hence whether Ponting is a good or a bad captain is irrelevant.
2) This is NOT Ponting vs Kallis vs Dravid overall. I think it is pretty clear Ricky Ponting is the better batsman..he is compared with Tendulkar and Lara after all.
This is an imaginary time period where Dravid, Kallis and Ponting are at their peaks at the very same time.
3) No you do not get Tendulkar and Lara and Sehwag, This is not your All Time XI
4) This is a 6th or 7th ranked test team, so the players are of that quality.
5) We will assume Jacques Kallis does not bowl.
These three players are as very different from each other and yet they made the number 3 position their very own in their respective teams. Ricky Ponting is the attacking one, with all the shots in the book, Rahul Dravid at his peak was the wall, almost impossible to get him out while Jacques Kallis has been the most solid, dependable and successful batsman of his team.
Basically I am interested in how players of different styles and nature appeal to different people.
Who would you pick?