• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would be your number 3 in your test team?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
You are the captain of a test team. You have to pick a batsman at number 3.
Your options are
1) Ricky Ponting
2) Rahul Dravid
3) Jacques Kallis

Now this is not necessarily NOW hence Ponting's and Dravid's current poor form does not count.

Say this is an imaginary period where Ponting is at his peak scoring century almost every match, Dravid just got his 230 in Adelaide, and Jacques Kallis is averaging 55 with the bat.

1) You are the captain of the team, hence whether Ponting is a good or a bad captain is irrelevant.

2) This is NOT Ponting vs Kallis vs Dravid overall. I think it is pretty clear Ricky Ponting is the better batsman..he is compared with Tendulkar and Lara after all.
This is an imaginary time period where Dravid, Kallis and Ponting are at their peaks at the very same time.

3) No you do not get Tendulkar and Lara and Sehwag, This is not your All Time XI :laugh:

4) This is a 6th or 7th ranked test team, so the players are of that quality.

5) We will assume Jacques Kallis does not bowl.

These three players are as very different from each other and yet they made the number 3 position their very own in their respective teams. Ricky Ponting is the attacking one, with all the shots in the book, Rahul Dravid at his peak was the wall, almost impossible to get him out while Jacques Kallis has been the most solid, dependable and successful batsman of his team.

Basically I am interested in how players of different styles and nature appeal to different people.

Who would you pick?

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
So essentially this is the same thing as Ponting v Kallis v Dravid at each individual cricketers peak?

All three very much equals with the bat and you lose very little by selecting one over the other. I would select Kallis simply for the extra value he brings to the team.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Almost impossible to say without knowledge of team balance since they all offer their own unique little something extra. Kallis bowling, Dravid defence, Ponting captaincy, fielding and attack.

Ponting is probably the best batsman so I'll go him without anything else.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
As others have said, depends on what the rest of the team is like. IF I get Lara and Sachin at 4 and 5 with say a Sehwag also there at the top, then I would take Kallis, coz he fits in there.. Else, always go for the best batsmen, which I feel is Ponting, among these 3.

Spark

Global Moderator
If we're talking at their peaks then I would take Ponting over almost every other single batsman you could ever name.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Poontang. Only attacking option among the three and he was better at his peak anyway even if we don't take that aggressive factor into discussion.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok sorry,

here is more information

1) You are the captain of the team, hence whether Ponting is a good or a bad captain is irrelevant.

2) This is NOT Ponting vs Kallis vs Dravid overall. I think it is pretty clear Ricky Ponting is the better batsman..he is compared with Tendulkar and Lara after all.
This is an imaginary time period where Dravid, Kallis and Ponting are at their peaks at the very same time.

3) No you do not get Tendulkar and Lara and Sehwag, This is not your All Time XI :laugh:

4) This is a 6th or 7th ranked test team, so the players are of that quality.

5) We will assume Jacques Kallis does not bowl.

These three players are as very different from each other and yet they made the number 3 position their very own in their respective teams. Ricky Ponting is the attacking one, with all the shots in the book, Rahul Dravid at his peak was the wall, almost impossible to get him out while Jacques Kallis has been the most solid, dependable and successful batsman of his team.

Basically I am interested in how players of different styles and nature appeal to different people.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, that doesn't change much. Almost any "pick the best batsman" involving Ponting at his peak will IMO end in one way.