• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How long would KP's bad form have to continue before England should drop him?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
OK, I'm assuming that there is a feasible alternative, which may be optimistic. But he was dire in SA and he's been even worse against Pakistan. How dire would KP have to be in Aus for England's selectors to think the unthinkable regarding our Kevin?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
OK, I'm assuming that there is a feasible alternative, which may be optimistic. But he was dire in SA and he's been even worse against Pakistan. How dire would KP have to be in Aus for England's selectors to think the unthinkable regarding our Kevin?
In between he was ****ing awesome in the Carribean though. This summer's been a let down because he looked so imperious in April/May, his most recent injury hasn't helped.

Doesn't help that his relation with Hampshire has completely deteriorated, I'd be in favour of resting him from the ODI series in favour of scoring some runs at County level if it wasn't such a pointless exercise.

His place should still be safe though, he's not the only one failing badly this summer.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If the Ashes wasn't next I'd probably advocate him missing a series the same way Strauss did in Sri Lanka.

So I guess the answer is, if he doesn't have a satifsactory Ashes, he loses his place, IMO.

What's satisfactory? Now that, I dunno, depends really.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
His place should still be safe though, he's not the only one failing badly this summer.
Yeah, we're probably back in that place where so many batsmen are failing that they're all safe because you couldn't decide which one to axe.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Who would replace him?
As I intimated in my opening post, that is a very good question indeed. I suppose Bell would be the obvious answer (and by extension Trott, Collingwood & Morgan).

However, I'm not suggesting he faces the axe now. I am wondering how secure his place should be if he fails badly in Australia, and the position regarding alternatives may look different in 9 months time.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bell's injured obviously.

But outside that; could bring in an opener to bat 3 and move Trott down. Lyth has batted a lot at 3 for Yorkshire I think. He could do a job at 4.
Steve Davies can't stop scoring runs.
Joyce (heh).
James Taylor - Australia away's probably not the best place to be debuting talented youngsters with oodles of potential though.

God knows tbph.

andyc

Do you think his form could potentially see him dropped halfway through the Ashes, if he fails to score any runs by say the third Test? Obviously assuming that England would be 2-0 by that stage so changes would be in need :ph34r:

Pothas

As I intimated in my opening post, that is a very good question indeed. I suppose Bell would be the obvious answer (and by extension Trott, Collingwood & Morgan).

However, I'm not suggesting he faces the axe now. I am wondering how secure his place should be if he fails badly in Australia, and the position regarding alternatives may look different in 9 months time.
Not like Collingwood and Morgan are having much better series apart from the first test.

We focus on a different batsmen each week but apart from Trott and Morgan they have all been poor this series.

Can just hope it is down to technical faults in these conditions against such excellent bowling rather than anything else.

There are obviously some long term problems with Pietersen but think he will have have a good ashes.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think England can even consider dropping a batsman like KP unless someone's really knocking down the door. It's not like in Australia where they can pluck out a consistent Sheffield Shield performer and he'll do a decent job while their out-of-form superstar finds some touch. There'd be a big step up in class from county cricket for anyone they want to bring in, and the selectors would probably find themselves dropping him for KP again before he can adjust.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Needs to be rested from the ODi squad and sent off to find some form in County cricket. Don't care who it's with. I'm sure Middlesex or Surrey would take him on loan if Hampshire don't want him. He needs to spend time in the middle in 4 day cricket and get back into the habit of scoring centuries.

He'll probably go on to score a century in the 2nd innings of this Test and it'll all be forgotten though.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He'll probably go on to score a century in the 2nd innings of this Test and it'll all be forgotten though.
Have you been watching him this summer mate? :p

The most worrying thing for me is that he didn't look any better with time at the crease during that prank-innings of 80 in the second test.

Last edited:

Pothas

This generally how England batsmen seem to work.

I notice attention had shifted to Strauss before KP's shot this morning and Collingwood has quietly gotten away with having the worse series of the lot.

The reality is that these are going to be the batsmen this winter.

grecian

Got to play against Oz, his record against them is superb, and he likes fast pitches. After that, if he fails it's gotta be looked at, his mind seems to have gone. Obviously I'm obligated to mention Hildreth as a replacement:)

King Pietersen

International Captain
Have you been watching him this summer mate? :p

The most worrying thing for me is that he didn't look any better with time at the crease during that prank-innings of 80 in the second test.
Had you been watching Alastair Cook before his century? ;) I don't honestly see a KP century coming in this game, but I wouldn't be massively surprised to see it happen.

Got to play against Oz, his record against them is superb, and he likes fast pitches. After that, if he fails it's gotta be looked at, his mind seems to have gone. Obviously I'm obligated to mention Hildreth as a replacement:)
Aussie to disagree and dismiss the call of Hildreth as he plays as Taunton. :ph34r:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Drop him and replace him with who? Ravi Bopara? Mark Ramprakash? Australia will lick their lips..
On the other hand..Pieterson even in dire form is a threat because you know there is at least a chance he will come back and play a great knock..
There is no such chance with those players